Format: DVD|Change

on 31 October 2003
Criminally, this is the last ever Series of Futurama. Someone at Fox in the USA decided to cancel it. It seems bizarre that such an original, consistanly funny program is cancelled whereas the Simpsons, which lets be honest is not as good as it used to be, continues.
But anyway, this is the best series of Futurama featuring some utterly classic episodes, such as "Where no fan has gone before" which features almost the entire cast of Star Trek the Oringinal Series. Other episodes include Fry & Leela getting Superpowers, Kif getting pregnant by Leela(!) and Bender being converted to a wooden Steam powered model by a group of outdated Robots.
Buy it. Love it. Write to Fox & tell them off for cancelling the best thing on TV.
on 20 October 2003
Words alone cannot describe my liking of Futurama. But I'll try. Well, it's the best cartoon and in fact the best TV show I've ever seen, both the jokes and Matt Groening's drawing style and 3D animations are great. Simply great. I already have the first three seasons on DVD, and I will certainly complete my collection with this set. I hate that Futurama got canceled with all my spirit.
I'm afraid I've only seen a few episodes from season 4, because here they only air in german. I hate the german translations, they're lame. But I'm sure they're up to Futurama's standards, and those are high, oh my yes. I read some graphic guides, and the jokes listed there were awesome. Every single episode I've seen so far had me laughing on the floor. It's only too bad that this will be the last we see of Futurama on DVD...
Caution: product might and will cause histerical laughing fits. Watch over an extended period of time, not like I did (all in one night).
on 3 January 2004
Yet another example of a TV show ahead of its time, alongside Family Guy and Farscape this is a show cancelled before it fully reached its potential.
This, the fourth and last season of Futurama, contains some of the funniest and, yes, moving episodes of its run. Highlights are "The Sting", in which Leela feels responsible for the death of Fry by a mutant bee - but is everything is as it seems?, "Jurassic Bark" - a jolly tale about Fry's beloved dog from before he was frozen in time, which has a surprisingly moving and upsetting ending, and, of course, the finale, "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings". This episode contains everything that made this show great: laugh-out-loud humour, superb ideas, loving homages, great animation, a wonderful mix of characters we've all grown to love, and surprising heart-felt emotion without the overt sentimentality.
Futurama - we'll miss you. Here's hoping for a possible revival? After all, Farscape now has a planned mini-series ahead and Family Guy is heading for a brand new season on a new network by next year. If not, so long, it's been a blast...
on 29 June 2005
I think I can say without question that Season Four contains the greatest Futurama episodes EVER. Even better than many classic Simpsons episodes. While Season Four unfortunately has two of the biggest duds - 'Crimes of the Hot' and 'Bender Should not be Allowed on T.V.', the other 16 more than make up for that with many of them rounding off the existing plotlines - Fry and Bender's friendship, Kiff and Amy's relationship, Leela's homeworld...
The extras are all good with loads of decent deleted scenes, some character artwork and trailers, all worth a look.
There are also some classic lines - Bender's comment on Star Trek - "another science fiction show cut down in its prime" and some good Ikea-type jokes to be enjoyed by anyone who has ever brought a flat pack - "All done, and only six pieces missing."
Highlights of the series are 'Leela's Homeworld' where Leela discovers who her real parents are, 'A Taste of Freedom' which is Zoidberg's ONLY starring episode, 'Jurassic Bark' which uses the same style of jumping back and forth between the 1990's and 3004 which 'Luck of the Fryish' used in Season Three and is even more of a weepy episode than that! There is also 'Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles' which is the greatest episode title I have ever read and is a pretty good episode (the crew all find themselves getting younger - check out 6 year old Fry... cuter than Nibbler anyday!)and 'The Sting' which is my favorate episode of all time (we find out what REALLY happend to the old Planet Express crews and a main character gets killed off, or is he...?)
Finally, missing out a few more excellent episodes, there is 'The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings' in which... well, I don't want to spoil it but it will not disappoint. Also, Dan 'Homer Simpson' Castellanata guest stars (who else could it be?) and although it does round things off neatly, Futurama is left open, just in case.
However, saying that, it might be better if it stays finished, to be remembered as one of the few American shows that didn't outstay its welcome.
on 8 May 2016
Both the jokes and Matt Groening's drawing style and 3D animations are great. It includes 4 full size dvd cases for just 4 discs. It's such a shame that futurama had to come to an end.

Much recommended!
on 27 August 2006
They stopped at the fourth series just as it was beginning to get interesting. Like a lot of people I came to Futurama properly via DVD having only ever seen a few episodes and regarding it as the Simpsons'lesser siblings. That's my loss and I deserve all the raspberries from Futurama fans I get for ever thinking that. Nothing else to say but everything about this show is great.

Oh, and a hint: The last few minutes of Jurassic Bark are up there with the greatest ever committed to film or video. But have several tissues ready and prepare to weep buckets.
on 17 November 2003
When I heard they were cancelling the greatest thing to happen to TV since cHIPS, I thought, hey, it's only a rumor. I'm a die hard Simpsons fan, it's been running for 14 seasons, ( and lets face it people, the new episodes are starting to suck, the entire atmosphere of the 'average American' has been shattered and been replaced with random, tired plots). But when I found the rumors to be confirmed, I was HORRIFIED!!!! Futurama is and always will be my favourite TV show. Ever. The characters are unique and hilarious. Fry with his learning, uh...........problem, Zoidberg being so loveabely poor, Leela so sexy yet level-headed, Bender and his crime sprees, the professer's 3-second memory span, aw I could go on. But I digress. Why do we live in a universe where 'Harry Potter' can sell more copies than there are people, and yet the funniest Tv show, nay thing, ever can only produce 83 episodes.
on 10 November 2004
It's such a shame Futurama was the shelved (shame on you, Fox!), but gratifying to see the cult status this under-rated show has achieved since it was first aired.
If you're in any doubt as to why it attracts legions of loyal fans, just watch season 4. This show, more even than The Simpsons, knows how to pack an emotional punch without resorting to soppiness, and whilst keeping the comedy sharp. My 35yr old boyfriend was actually quite distressed to find himself in tears at the end of 'Jurassic Bark' - along with everyone else I know who has ever watched this particular episode! It's worth buying the whole boxset just for this half-hour of wonderful writing.
Anyway, let's hope the rumours of a full-length movie are true. But in the meantime enjoy this - it's 30-odd quid well spent, as you'll watch it again and again. It just gets funnier everytime.
on 27 November 2003
If you like cartoons and are old enough to watch this buy it! if you like the simpsons or anything in a similar vein buy it! this is quite frankly one of the funniest shows of the past few years and in some ways is even more funny than the simpsons.
Poking fun at Sci-Fi is easy but futurama both pokes fun and appreciates it at the same time, i havnt even got to disc 3 and i already think this is the best series so far, and sadly it is since they decided to stop making it, quite frankly one of the funniest american shows with a cast of characters who are just as good as his royal higness Homer Simpson.
quite simply Brilliant and funny sit back turn your brain to 'off' and enjoy the comedy action and romance
on 31 January 2014
I've always felt sorry for futurama, it's always been compared to the Simpsons when it's nothing like the Simpsons and it's not meant to be. Futurama is far funnier and more sophisticated. I am so sorry this show has ended, fans like me can't get enough and this box set has got me through many nights of insomnia! lol!