Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 December 2009
My brother owned this as a vinyl LP when it was first released and although I was quite young to listen to this kind of music then I loved it, and rediscovered it again recently on a trip to the South of France where John Lewis had a villa. When I came back I ordered this and another couple of albums, and was not at all disappointed, the music is as fresh as ever. They were four incredibly talented musicians and composers. Vendome is a wonderful fast moving and evocative piece reflecting JLs love of France and the culture; this and Django are classic MJQ.
on 7 April 2016
Lovely album...but, if you want to add extra track be sure the master suite the entire cd...!! Patterns is a terrible quality recording and is way more loud than Pyramid...Pyramid 5 stars...Patterns 2 stars
My CD is ancient and has just the original six tracks recorded 1959 / 1960.
Every track is a gem, the stand out track being "Django" (recorded many times; is this the definitive version? I think so). The title track (written by Ray Brown) is "Pyramid" (11 min) which is also a pearl.
With such a tight group as the MJQ is is impossible to single out individual musicians which probably accounts for their long lived success.
on 4 April 2013
One of my all time favourites espec title track - still have it on disc . But his is replacement backup
on 19 October 2013
I HAVE PUT THIS IN THE CAR AND IT IS GREAT TO DRIVE TO
I RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO DISCOVER THE MJQ FOR THE FIRST TIME
EASY AND ENJOYABLE LISTENING
on 15 February 2014
This is a very good CD. It's very lovely and complex jazz to be listened to or as cool background music. Love it.
on 18 April 2016
Beautiful, elegant - Milt Jackson is sublime.