on 8 May 2016
Perfect viewing. Great performances by some of UK's best Actors, Producers, Directors. Watched over several nights, what a treat. 8 discs of pure joy at ones leisure. Wish there were more! A brilliant sea faring saga we will enjoy viewing again and again. Arrived within the week, well packaged. Highly recommend.
on 11 September 2004
Having been a fan of Sharpe, I felt saddened when the series came to an end. ITV had excelled themselves with the series, unlike 99% of their schedual, it didn't involve some unorthodox police detecive. If fact the period feel was so good, it seemed more like a BBC production that that of ITV.
When I heard that ITV were going to produce a series of Hornblower adventures, I had a nasty feeling that it was going to be a poor man's replacement for Sharpe. I thought that due to the budget, the sea battles would feature wobbly model shots, like something from Michael Benntine's Potty Time.
How wrong I was, this production turned out to be an excellent series. The company of actors are perfectly cast in their respective roles. Each film moves at a cracking pace, whilst managing to avoid disruptive,trendy MTV style editting. It's easy to see that this series was made by people who cared about the subject and were not in it just for the money.
Buy it now, you won't be disappointed.
on 1 March 2017
Excellent quality and service
on 28 January 2004
I have never felt compelled to write about a product I have purchased until now. I had seen 1 or 2 episodes of the series by accident on the TV not knowing what it was to begin with and wanted to see the whole series from the beginning so I treated myself and must say that they are better than expected in fact I would even go so far to say that they are truly inspirational. The acting is brilliant and convincing. I actually sat through 3 episdoes 1 evening ( over 4 hours ) and I do not usually watch much tv at all. If you are interested in the wooden ship era, or georgian period or indeed period drama's then you wont be dissapointed.
on 6 February 2004
I have read Hornblower avidly since I was 13 and can remember jumping for joy when I found out the books were being made into a series of TV films! Yay! I was certainly not disappointed with them and watch them over and over again for hours at a time. Ioan Gruffudd is excellent as Hornblower, really capturing the character and the supporting cast does not disappoint. Great acting all round. Everyone should watch at least one episode in their lifetime, you'll be hooked!
on 1 January 2004
England is at war with France and in the middle of it is Hornblower (Ioan Gruffudd), a young midshipman who - with the help of his mentor Sir Edward Pellew (Robert Lindsay) - quickly rises in ranks from lieutenant to captain. He is a young man with the ability to command, always willing to risk his life but not that of others.

The actors are very convincing. Especially Robert Lindsay with his booming voice is the sea captain used to command a ship in times where there was no megaphone to hand and Paul McGann as the cool and melancholic Lieutenant Bush gives a perfect counterpart to Gruffudd's charming and passionate Hornblower. Absolutely fascinating are the scenes filmed on the ships: the crew in their cramped quarters, life on deck and below and especially interesting are the war scenes with the war ships blasting their canons at each other.
I loved this series and I will watch it again, that's certain!
on 23 February 2005
Many people made a comparison between Sharpe and Hornblower as TV series and in fact the themes are the same.I was (and I am) a great fan of Sharpe when I knew about Hornblower, and I've been very happy to find again that atmosphere.The films are great!If I had to make a comparison I could tell that Hornblower offers,as film, a bigger action and suspence,great scenes on the sea and nice characters, but Sharpe remains my favourite as character,he's more complex and stout,perhaps because he comes from the ranks.By the way both series are great and the actors are brilliant,and if you like the subject,I highly recommend both!!!One last thing:even if I understand very well english I would have appreciated the subtitles in these dvds...as a non-english I found a bit difficult to understand word by word,especially in case of sailor dictionary!Oh!Another thing (for girls):if you like Gruffudd...buy these dvds!
on 12 December 2006
Everything about this is great. The music, the action, plot everything. Very enjoyable if you have any interest in the Age of Sail or similar themed films or tv shows and still great even if not.
on 28 March 2005
Saw some of the programmes, read the books, now viewing the DVD's and re-reading the books. I can't remember enjoying a TV drama so much since Keith Mitchell and Glenda Jackson in Henry VIII an Elizabeth R 35 years ago.Totally convincing performances from all the actors , with attention to period detail second to none.This must be one of the best ever releases on DVD - will give me many hours of pleasure for years to come. Ioan Gruffyd and Robert Lindsay deserve Oscars for their tremendous portrayals of 2 of the leading characters.
on 21 November 2003
The story of Mr. Hornblower is a great tale of a man rewarded for his honor, duty and service to king, country and himself. It is not a fairy tale to be compared to the poor disney ideal of story telling, but one that inspires and entertains. If ever you wanted to have a hero that you could relate to, Hortio Hornblower is that. Also, one for the children so that they to may see how honor and happiness during struggle can be rewarding and charactor building.