Customer reviews

Christmas Collection: 20th Century Masters
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£17.10+ £4.09 shipping

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 December 2003
This CD is a reissue of Amy Grant’s classic 1992 second Christmas CD, “Home for Christmas.” While I completely enjoy Amy Grant's other Christmas albums, this is the best of her career. Everything from the song selection to vocals and background music comes together for a Christmas treat.
The album mixes traditional, lesser known, and original songs, and strikes the right balance of new and traditional to make it seem like Christmas but not like all the others you already have. Part of this is in the arrangements, which are pure magic.
"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" and "The Night before Christmas" are songs that aren't recorded too often, but I love their joy of the season.
Original song "Breath of Heaven" still amazes me with its look into the conflicting feelings Mary must have been dealing with as she awaited Jesus' birth. It’s such a beautiful prayer.
"Emmanuel, God with Us" ties the birth of Christ to our modern celebration in a humbling way. I fell in love with this song the first time I heard the bridge. Frankly, I can use a reminder about Emmanuel every day of the year.
I now have several different version of "Grown-up Christmas List," including one that tries to Christianize it. But this version, the first I ever heard, is my favorite.
"Rockin’ around the Christmas Tree" and "Winter Wonderland" are fun arrangements of Christmas classics. "Have a Merry Little Christmas" is fast becoming a Christmas favorite, helped tremendously by Amy’s version here.
I have been known to enjoy this album all year long. It deserves to be included in the 20th Century Masters Collection and in any Christmas music fan’s library. If you’ve missed this holiday gem, pick it up today.