Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 5 December 2003
If your a Doom fan and you haven't yet picked this up, go and get it now.
From the looks of it some cats didn't like it and are selling second hand copies cheap. Madness.
This is without doubt in my top 3 albums of 2003. Production wise, with it not being Doom himself, there was a risk of it not meeting the usual standard. The first time I heard it I stood corrected, and 3 months later, I still do.
As for Doom himself, lyrically he has surpassed himself (if that's even possible !). Not only is this album FULL of quotables, the actual concept itself is genius.
If you didn't know, "Viktor Vaughn" is an mc who makes a time machine. The album see's him go back and forth from different times in hip hop. You probably won't pick up on a lot of it in your first few listens, but I'm still hearing new bits even now.
If you visit his site you can read the lyrics posted up by fans, and I'm seriously split as to whether hearing him spit them or actually reading them and picking them apart show his true talent. Lyrics of this nature, over the course of a whole album, with no chorus', hardly and guests, this would take most artists years, tho most I doubt would even be capable.
If your not already heavily in to Doom I'd advice you got an get Operation Doomsday first, and listen to that for a few months before getting this. It may not be to everyones taste immediately, but once your hooked that's it. Nothing else even comes close.
Patiently waiting for loads of Doom related releases on there way. MM Food and Madvillian just for starters !
Doom's the past, present, and future of hip hop.
on 28 July 2017
Super. Very fast delivery!
on 3 March 2006
It's all been written below, but I cannot re-iterate enough how incredible this album is, I've got most of Doom's stuff, started with Madvillainy, which was an incredible experience, and for me the best way to discover this guy, then I just got the rest of his stuff, and trust me, if you're a true hip-hopper you will be blown away by it all. This album though, is the best of the best IMHO, every single track is 10 of 10 winner, even the couple of little "skits" are clever, funny, not annoying, and dope as you like. He has got everything perfect here, the beats, the samples, the guests (Curt Strifer - Never Dead - oh my god, what a choon!), but most of all the rhymes, NO-ONE can do it like Doom, intellignet, funny, world-wise, non-bling-but-still-hard, he is unique, a legend. If you like chart rubbish "hip hop" I wouldn't bother....well, actually, I'm all for getting the ignorant converted, so go ahead and buy it.
I have a 6CD changer in my car, it contains all different types of music - this CD has been in it for over 2 years now, and gets played almost every drive, I sh1t you not, and I'm the type who gets bored v quickly!! there's my testament - buy
on 20 October 2003
if you like mf doom then you know what to expect of him and his alter egos such as king geedorah etc ,dope beats dope rhymes not one bling bling reference in there just straight up scrambling lyrics over sometimes minimal beats , always with the cartoon samples from stuff like fantastic four, this is just a perfect album from start to finish, i put this above operation doomsday which is always going to be hard, anone who likes there hip hop underground and skill laced rhymes buy this album, not one for the ja-rule nelly bling bling listeners FOR TRUE HIP HOP HEADS!!!!!!1
on 1 March 2006
Great rap album, probably my favourites of MF Doom and all his alter egos so far. Very dark beats combined with Doom's quirky, often equally dark rhymes that still combine those unique geek references that never fail to put a grin on your face. Unusually, Doom doesn't do any of the production, but his lyrics combined with some of Soundink's best producers (King Honey, Heat Sensor, etc.) create a great and unique sci-fi tinged experience. Standout tracks are Vaudeville Villain, probably my favourite aggressive rap track ever. Saliva's another great one. The various Open Mic Nite tracks are cool too, combining funny skits and interesting collaborations (including Rodan and some of the other Czars). One of Doom's most distinctive albums yet, a must for any hip hop fan even if you some of Doom's earlier stuff is not to your liking.
on 21 February 2005
Out of all the albums released by Dumile and his alter ego's this one is probably my favourite. I know some people will go off on one saying that Operation Doomsday or The Madvillian album are better but for me this is the one...
Just listen to G.M.C. Dead Mouse and Loctose & Lecithin and tell me I'm wrong.
Forget all the radio friendly Jay Z, Diddy and Eminem boring old rubbish. This is what MC'in is all about.
All that the so called Rap superstars are bothered about is the size of their empires.
Doom is the saviour of HIP HOP
(along with MADLIB of course. Lord Quas soon to return........)
on 30 June 2014
This is a highly overlooked and underrated album, thats gets no where near the credit it deserves. I have to agree with another of the reviewers in saying that this is my favourite rap album of all time, not just of dooms. When people think of doom, they almost instinctively envision madvillain or operation doomsday. Those albums have gotten far more press, and not undeservingly as they too are quality albums. But this is the one which i believe to be his crowning achievement. From the first time i heard it i was hooked, with the sci-fi beats and gutter-nerd lyrics i think it is unparalleled in terms of style, sound and imagination.
There's something about his voice as well, which seems to be at its gruffest that hasn't been the same since this album (from vv2 and dangerdoom he has taken on a lazier delivery which i could never really get with) that could quite possibly make your least favourite rap lyric sound sweet. So, added with his intricately woven lyrics, it makes a deadly combo. Like i said before, favourite rap album of all time.
on 24 December 2012
If your tired of played out concepts in a genre many consider unimaginative.... Look no further . Doom or Viktor has the darkest sense of humor since Biggie and is much more imaginative. From obscure pop culture referenced to characters from star trek or transformers , to going on drive bys with his mum in the car . There is very little to frown at ... this album has unorthodox lyrics and production from a lot of producers I have never even heard of ....
on 26 February 2015
A rap classic that should be in every hip-hop head's collection! Yet so few people seem to have heard of it. The first time I heard the album, I thought "Weird"; the next time I listened to it through, I thought "Interesting"; the 3rd time I played it, I was like "Wow"!!! Buy it now! And "MF Doom - Doomsday" too. His other albums are more of a take-it-or-leave-it affair.
on 20 January 2013
After hearing various tracks, knew I had to own this and I'm happy enough with what this special offers.
I guess producers, MCs etc might make the most out of Disc 2 but as a simple connoisseur it's alright and inspirational even; Would've loved if the instrumental or accapella of Let Me Watch had been included but oh well, it wasnt to be.