Customer reviews

Back To Mine - Tricky
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 January 2004
This album reminded me of why I liked Tricky in the first place and made me dig all his albums out again. With everything from The Beat to Chet Baker to Kate Bush, this is as eclectic as you could get, but somehow it still has Tricky stamped all over it. Who else could be paranoid, funky and camp all at once?

Even though you don't get to hear the full length of all the tracks, I think the mixing - though mad and eclectic again - makes you appreciate some of the tracks in a new kind of way.

I couldn't stop listening to this when I first bought it and everyone I've played it to (regardless of what they think of Tricky) has been damn impressed too.
on 7 June 2005
Fanstastic mix of tunes - not one bad song on this album......the man is a genius.
on 2 October 2003
I bought this on impulse, struck by the eclecticness of the selection of songs and with a certain amount of trust in Tricky as an arbiter of good music. It works and really holds its own as a compilation, though be warned - if you don't usually buy these sorts of CDs - the sleeve doesn't alert you to the fact that the songs are mixed into each other, meaning you only get a couple of minutes of each song, which is annoying if you are a purist like me. Buy the vinyl version, and then you won't have to suffer Chet Baker's most plaintive vocal performance being overlaid with some bland trip-hop.
I would say that 85% of the songs are of a good quality, but they are classics and you will probably know them already - Lullaby, Night Nurse, Mirror In The Bathroom, My Melody, Much Finer are brilliant songs and the beatmixing just about does them justice. The surprise hit of the album for me was Kate Bush's Eat The Music, which is a joyous uptempo folk affair. However, Tricky's various pubescent protegees let the side down a bit, their contributions being outdated in style and devoid of much tune, and by the end of the album (when they feature most heavily) whoever was at the help of the ProTools seems to have lost most of his inspiration.
on 3 May 2004
bit of an odd one this... its got some really good tracks on it, and some less good ones. there is real diversity of taste. Particularly liked the Little Kings track, how we ride. good hip hop, cool little sample of a guitar, strong beat, well written lyrics... probably my fave track... also has mirror in bathroom which is a favourite of mine, bit of ragga, bit of swing, bit of rock, reggae classic 'night nurse', and some other bits and bobs. when i first got it i was dissappointed, but now quite a few of the tracks have grown on me, esp. 11, 13, 14, and 16 which is exceptional but as someone else said, all the tracks are a bit short and there a bit too much dj-ing for what i think its meant to be but overall worth listening to.
on 28 November 2003
As far as I am concerned the back to mine series started off really well but has now become a somewhat diluted and annoying collection. This offering from Tricky confirms this opinion.
The first track raised expectations but from there the album spirals out of control into a mish mash of unnattractive and sometimes dire listening.
My advice to you is simple -do not buy this album. Try looking towards the inspiring late night tales if you are looking for after hours grooving
on 3 November 2003
I found this album very disappointing compared to the other 'back to mine' cds I've heard. I didn't really like any of the tracks - they're very dissonant with vocals that weren't to my taste or just harsh and somewhat dull hip-hop posturings. If you're a chillout fan, avoid this one, cos it just isn't chilled!
on 16 September 2003
Ooooh - yeah - Nice - I like this one, forgot just how good the Cure's - Lullaby sounds - along with the Beat's - Mirror in the Bathroom - I have to rate this 5 stars as I only bought the album yesterday and it's been in my CD player ever since. I'm off to use a floatation tank now (wonder if they'll let me take my CD?) [...]