Customer reviews

on 19 June 2015
Brought 'Othello' (the play) alive for me. Ian McKellen is spectacular as Iago - really gave me an idea of how sneakily evil he was. And a wonderful portrayal of Desdemona as someone quite feisty as opposed to a bit of a drip (as I had always found her). And Othello himself? So handsome, and so three-dimensional!
on 14 November 2010
Having read the other reviews I felt I needed to comment. It does need to be emphasized that this is a recording of a theatre production made at the Young Vic theatre in London. I was lucky enough to see this play in person all those years ago and it was felt then, and is to this day, that Ian MacKellen's portrayal of Iago defined a generation for that character.

The theatre set was colourless and I would agree that to simply record it "as is" on stage would have lost something in translation to camera. However, I urge you to overlook this for the sake of the composition. This is a defining Othello that will aide anyones comprehension of the play.
on 15 April 2010
I bought this to help with GCSE English and another higher level assignment I had. Whilst it did help me a little, I struggled to get through the 3 hours. The cast was fantastic and portrayed the characters very well, so for help with character analysis it really is a great purchase, and it does bring it to life.

The quality of the recording is a negative point though, and I really did find it difficult to hear what was being said some of the time. I used this with a copy of York Notes as well, so if studying the play I'd highly recommend getting both. It's not something I'll be watching again though.
on 11 June 2009
Recording of the RSC stage production. Willard White is superb as Othello, and Imogen Stubbs has Desedemona to perfection. I have big problems though with this staging and Ian McKellen's performance as Iago. The staging has it as a quasi-military setup in 19th century US-style uniforms. I can see where they're coming from, but the big problem with having a formal military setting (especially a quasi-modern one) is that the social relationships no longer make sense and jar horribly. If Iago is officer class and the C-in-C's deputy why is his wife maiding Desdemona? And why is Desdemona (the C-in-C's wife) hobnobbing with "other ranks"? And the 19th century US style uniforms don't work for me either; there's no way a black officer would command white troopd; the US army was segregated until after WW2. Perhaps that's the idea, but it doesn't work. And there's Sir Ian - a great actor, no question; but here he makes Iago too nasty, too sinister. Iago has to be believable as someone Othello can trust as a man, not just as a subordinate.

But it's worth seeing if only to make you think - which is what theatre is all about
on 4 November 2009
Mostly due to the presence of Ian McKellen, as a very nasty Iago, and the booming voice of Willard White as Othello, this directed for television version by Trevor Nunn is probably the best in its interpretation of Shakespeare's words. I have not seen all of the others because some are not available outside the US but be content with this one. And since it was made for television it is perfect to watch at home. My only gripe is that it is quite dark in places and if students were watching this in a classroom they would need blackouts.
on 12 April 2011
I was fortunate to see this production in the flesh in the old Other Place theatre in Stratford. This television version is a true representation of that staging. Yes the staging is minimal as it had to be for a small venue, but the atmosphere is all there, and all the performances are top class.
on 18 May 2016
A classic production, which I'd seen at the Young Vic all those years ago. So good to find it on dvd. Ian Mckellan is the stand out performance, but a strong ensemble too.
on 30 October 2016
This is the theatre version and not a full film. I find the sound difficult and cannot hear all the words. Subtitles would have been useful. Ian McKellen is great.
on 22 September 2009
My daughter, who is studying A Level english, enjoyed this interpretation of Othello and found that it has been helpful to her in her comprehension of the play.
on 27 September 2015
Good price for a classic production. Good delivery and price