Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 15 November 2011
I love costume dramas and wanted to add to my library so I decided to check the feedback on this offering. I found the feedback (which I usually find to be a good barometer of a product's worth) to be quite favorable. Sad to say I felt it didn't live up to its reviews and it ended up being a complete waste of money. After only one viewing I resolved not to inflict it on anyone else and binned it! I just wanted it to finish! I hate to be harsh as I am a lover of this genre of film but my advice is not to waste your time and money. Put your time to better use by watching a trusted favorite and wait to spend your hard earned cash on quality costume drama which you can watch again and again such as Downton Abbey or the latest series of Garrow's Law when it become available on DVD. To buy or not to buy? Why add to landfill? Don't do it!
on 22 January 2014
This film had the potential to be a great period drama. Romance, aristocracy, class division, betrayal and a great cast. I found the film by chance, and was quite excited to watch it.
However, as the film develops around our protagonist Basil, so comes the great misfortune in which Jared Leto has to open his mouth and speak. Now, I usually have no qualms with Letos' performance and have never found his acting to be stale or wooden before, but every line is delivered as if he is reading it from a Cue sheet, (in a language he doesn't quite understand) upside down. This immediately taints the film, espcially as the rest of the cast don't seem to have this difficulty, and manage to speak non monotonously and at a normal pace.
Next, bring in a pretty unbelievable series of events, (I won't give too much away, but if you are to purchase 'Basil', be sure to look out for Christian Slaters' final scene before the film ends and have yourself a chuckle) resulting in this interesting little film, with no where near half the power as any of the classics.

Perhaps, if Jared Leto was replaced by an actual Basil plant to play the role, the film could have had a little more sustenance?
on 18 November 2009
Well here we have a periodic drama with the Gorgeous Jared Leto, who plays a rich aristocrat's son of a multi billionaire, although wealth brings power and strength does it also bring common sense or empathy? Tension mounts between father and son as both have different ideas where Jared's future lies.

Jared a down to earth kind of boy longs for passion and romance and adventure and finally finds it in the shapely figure of Claire Forlani, who is totally gorgeous in the movie. However, life is never a bed of roses and a chance encounter with the talented Christian Slater proves to be a destined distraction full of mischief,and double dealings or was it all planned?

Really enjoyed this film, has many good points, supported by an ample qualified set of actors and actresses, along with some really clever twists of fate that will keep you glued and intrigued, whilst trying to wonder just how twisted this story can get. I was well intrigued throughout and certainly not dissapointed.
on 22 September 2011
Honestly story line is rubbish. I see what they try to make& they fail.
Waste of cash for costumes& decorations. I think only ultimate fans of cast could bare to watch whole movie.
on 5 June 2017
No sutitles
on 18 January 2011
I purchased this dvd as I am a huge fan of the actor Jared Leto whether he is acting or playing in his band 30 Seconds to Mars. I was drawn to this product mainly for the cast and the fact that I have a love of costume dramas. Basil is a fantastic tale of family, love, beytrayal and tragedy and I would recommend it to anyone. I simply LOVE this film and will admit to having rewatched it at least 50 times in the short period that I have owned it. If you love Jane Austen novels/movies or indeed any kind of costume drama I would throughly recommend that you check this movie out.
on 5 September 2010
A beautiful story of love and betrayal. Basil is a naive in love young aristocrat. John is a lower class young man, looking to revenge his past. The characters are very well played by Jared Leto and Christian Slater. A movie worth to be seen more than once.
on 16 May 2010
I didn't know anything about this DVD before I saw it on Amazon and thought I might like it because of the era and also I like Christian Slater. I was a bit disappointed and I have to say I did not like it much. It is quite miserable and dark and the characters have no redeeming qualities. I find Claire Forlani beautiful, but a wooden actress with very predictable expressions. Others might like this movie but I'm afraid I don't really find too much to recommend.
on 15 October 2016
Very disappointing. The script suffers from extreme tell-a-life-story-in-two-scenes-itus leaving any tension or drama on the cutting room floor. Slater and Leto, who can normally make the best of bad writing, appear wooden and passionless. And Claire Forlani, who requires the intense drama of CSI to evoke any feeling, is preposterous as the love interest. One cannot believe she would tempt Leto to risk tuppence let alone his entire fortune, family and lifestyle. Not even the mighty weight of Derek Jacobi can make his character convincing. There is no mystery and no intrigue, which leaves the viewer with no care for what happens next. Dreary mood lighting supposedly meant to make the film dark, merely lends credence to the assumption that a minimal budget meant they couldn't afford professional lighting. With so many other excellent period dramas available, it is little wonder this movie ended up in the bargain bin.
on 6 November 2016
I think those who have reviewed it without delight perhaps do not know this is a genuine Victorian story, not a modern historical drama. The powerful father who disinherits, cowed dependent children, the ruin of young women by higher class young men,revenge by the lower class, and the male dificulty with restraining desire, were all live issues at the time.
I liked it as the genuine Gothic period piece it is. The heroine's face was too modern (too strong boned), the women move too forcefully, and there was a lack of servants to be seen but all that is standard in modern films set in history.
The plot was well displayed and not predictable. Who was the nice heroine? Mystery unsolved! Maybe I missed that.
Costumes and context were unusually good. Landscape ditto.
A dark drama not intended to be pretty but often it was beautiful. As a romantic I'd have liked a kiss or held hands at the end.