Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Eminem Shop now Shop now

on 7 March 2009
appalling performance..cutting teeth to small, egg shell breaks up easily leaving bits everywhere. also hole not big enough, meaning only the very top gets cut off.
0Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 September 2011
This egg topper only takes ther very tip of the egg shell off. There is not enough room to put a small teaspoon inside the egg therefore you need to crack some more shell. Useless. I tried smaller eggs but still no good. I expected this product to take the top of the egg including the inside. I cannot see any point in having one of these. Disappointed.
on 25 October 2013
Opens the egg perfectly every time and easy to use and would recommend to everyone who likes soft boiled eggs
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 January 2010
This is a waste of money. It simply doesn't work. Maybe it would work on a Quail's egg but anything resembling a medium to large hen's egg - forget it. I've sent mine back for a refund.
on 4 February 2009
The item is OK but for most of the eggs we have the ring could do with being quite a bit bigger!
on 3 January 2010
Not big enough, just makes a mess. Good old teaspoon is back after only 2 uses!
on 19 December 2011
I / we travel alot & this item allows me to save some time at breakfast wherever we may be, slips into my top pocket & is there ready to crown some eggs in order for me to have a quick but substantial breakfast (really handy for ski-slopes).

I'll typically have 4-6 egg breakfast for a non stop day training on the slopes over a week, & don't wan't to waste time faffing (especially in-between feeding children at the same table).

It won't precisely fit the largest eggs however this is easily countered with a bit of practise, (it's a learning process) but once achieved tops will fly...
So whilst your still bashing your egg open i've whipped off the tops of 2 & am eating!

Basically, present the egg & the topper (firmly together)

Close the grips a few times as necessary..

Press teeth in & twist...

Done!

This may sound like a victorian design to faff about with, however it's a good design well executed tucking in when the clock is ticking against you, eggs provide a good energy source especially useful in an alpine chalet / self catering environment when everything is taking longer than it should & you need to shove the family out the door to catch the bus to the slopes.

helps avoid burning your fingers on a hot shell too!

Poor pun I know, but it truly is a cracking bit of kit!
on 18 January 2010
Bought this as a little kitchen gadget and it is quite good! I like to save time and effort when I can, this does help with the egg round. simple and effective operation means I can quickly and easily sort out the children's breaking into the eggs without little shards of eggshell sneaking in. It is a little difficult for the children to operate themselves but overall it is a good little gadget.
on 11 December 2012
A very good idea and basic design but things of this type which are made for one sole purpose need to be the right size for the job. This device is about a centimetre less in diameter than it should be. As it is, it tries to skate off the top of the egg rather than cut through the shell.
Trying to use this device is Not a good way to start the day.
on 23 May 2010
This item is described as 10cm, which I believe is confusing. I assume they measured the length from finger holes to opposite side. The diameter of the egg cutting hole is actually 3.3cm.

I'm really happy with this device and it performs much better than I expected.

Good points:
Clean cutting action of the egg shell. Rarely does it leave any shell fragments behind. When it does they are easily picked off unlike a bad knife cut where shell is pushed into the egg.
I value the speed and simplicity allowing you to eat straight away without spending time picking away shell bits caused by cutting or bashing.

Bad Points:
I always use large eggs and this device can sometimes struggle. If an egg is more sphere than the normal tear drop shape, little of the egg protrudes above the cutting teeth. The hole cut is then too small for a spoon to fit in.

Sometimes on large eggs, the egg topper can jump up and off, caused by the teeth slipping and following the shape of the egg instead of cutting into the shell. This is easily solved by pressing the cutter down gently to stop it slipping up n off. If the eggshell has a crack and its not noticed, pressing downwards as the teeth cut in will cause the entire egg shell to disintegrate, leaving an inedible mess. My fault for not being gentle with an already damaged egg shell. The egg topper will cut cracked eggs, but care is needed to be gentle.

Summary:
I'd have given 5 stars because its quick to use and cuts very clean. The problem is that fixed 3.3cm hole. It should be size adjustable, I doubt it would fit over EXTRA large eggs.