Style Name: STYLE A|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 June 2010
I have two of these 5.0 litre-size bowls plus the 10 litre and find them excellent for bread-making. Many other bowls on the market are tall and relatively narrow, whereas the Faringdon ones are wide thus enabling one to comfortably knead dough in the bowl. They nest one within the other and are easy to wash, including in the dishwasher. Another advantage of a metal bowl, over plastic, is that cling-film attaches securely to the rim. I find that film doesn't attach satisfactorily to plastic bowls.
on 4 July 2005
For those occasions when standard size bowls aren't large enough this Farringdon Bowl allows for large scale mixing or even salad making.
In addition to its culinary uses it makes a great item of Kitchen furniture with its Stainless Steel colouring matching well in kitchens which use stainless steel splash backs as ours do.
Haydn
on 4 January 2015
At first I wasn't sure of buying this bowl because I wasn't sure of the size, being too big but it's actually just what I needed! It's very useful when baking and especially with electronic mixer ( being so tall helps me make a smaller mess) and for making dough. I believe it has perfect depth. Other bowls that hold this much content either too tall or too shallow, this one is just perfect. The quality is also great! Not afraid to damage it while mixing. A definite recommend!
on 13 January 2010
I bought a whole set of these bowls from small to this large one and I have to say it makes baking a whole lot easier. They are light weight and easy to hold, they don't slip about but I tend to put a damp tea towel down on the kitchen side anyway just to make sure. They are easy to clean, sure they aren't the most expensive bowls you can buy and in time I expect they will dent a little but so what, they are functional and for the money an excellent buy. If you've never had metal mixing bowls before these are a good starting point.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 October 2014
Very good size, great for mixing a Mary Berry Luxury Fruit Cake that goes in a 20cm square tin (23cm round). Made of stainless steel and it is the dark colour shown in the photograph. Buy yourself some wooden spoons as it will scratch easily using metal utensils. Measures 12" across the top, 6" at the bottom and is about 5" deep.
on 28 December 2014
Needed a large mixing bowl and preferred stainless steel option as opposed to plastic. Cannot fault - its lightweight, easy to use, easy to clean and has high edges which makes mixing easier and keeps the contents inside the bowl rather than outside!
on 6 May 2014
I bought one each of Faringdon's 5L and 10L stainless steel mixing bowls, but it's this 5 Litre one that's the perfect size for mixing up and proving a batch of dough. Lovely and wide at 30cm, but quite shallow at 14.5cm, so it gives you lots of elbow room for mixing up the quantities. Lightweight but not flimsy, so you can happily bash away at the ingredients without worrying about denting the bowl. Washing it up is a doddle and it fits snugly into my sink; it can be put into a dishwasher too - if you can clear the space for it (it's quite a big beast!).

I particularly appreciate that it's not too wide to have a teatowel slung across it when the dough's proving, but it's also shallow enough to slide onto a cleared shelf of my fridge when proving overnight. All in all one of the most useful items I've bought for my venture into breadmaking - along with Richard Bertinet's inspiring book on Dough.
on 17 November 2015
I'm very pleased with this. Feels well made albeit unfussy. 5.0 L is the best size, I think, because I can use a hand mixer inside it and keep the walls of my kitchen splatter free. It's universally useful - like heating butter over boiling water, mixing, tossing, whatever. Very lightweight, so easy to tip the contents into cake tins or whatever, but sturdy enough not to dent or anything. I use a silicon heat mat underneath if I want to stop the bowl skating across the kitchen surface while working with it.
on 25 January 2014
I find this very convenient, either in my arms or sitting on a surface. The outside is actually the shiny surface and has kept its shine. The inside has a few scratches but the brushed effect conceals these very well.
on 17 July 2016
I bought this bowl and its 10L 'companion' after deliberating between stainless and a traditional ceramic bowl. I decided on stainless after learning it's what professional chefs use, and also realising that I would surely drop and break a ceramic one eventually.

The bowl is really nice, quite thin and lightweight but feels sturdy. The outside is mirror finish, the inside is rough presumably from where it's turned from the sheet. The rim is turned over and perfectly smooth. The bottom seems flat, whereas on the 10L I found it was slightly bowed and would 'pop' in and out.

The only downside would be that it moves around a little when mixing roughly, I think a small silicone mat or something would help if that's a problem/