Customer reviews

on 5 November 2014
Fine performances in pretty good sound. Not quite up to the late lamented Hogwood but completely without mannerism or egocentric interpretation. An excellent alternative to the cult of personalliy.
on 8 October 2011
Generally speaking, I don't care for the "Period Sound" in performances of 18th. century music, so I was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying this set of the Mozart symphonies stylishly played by Jaap Ter Linden and the Mozart Akademie, Amsterdam. The earlier symphonies, in particular, come off very well indeed, performed here with light and airy grace and charm. More serious pieces, like the "Little G minor" symphony (No.25) are done with appropriate sense of drama, however. I had been used to hearing performances of this symphony (such as by Bruno Walter) in which the second movement is taken at a fairly slow speed and, indeed, in some recordings (for example, by Celibidache) it seems in danger of almost grinding to a halt, so I was,initially, a little taken aback when I heard the flowing tempo adopted on this recording. Nevertheless, the movement is marked "Andante" and not "Adagio" and I felt that the conductor really brought the movement off very successfully.
Although the performances of the later symphonies included in this set won't replace those of some older conductors (such as Krips, Kubelik and Beecham) in my affections, they are, nevertheless, interesting and enjoyable and have been well-recorded.
The spurious symphonies (2, 3 and 37) are not included here but the tally has been made up to 41 by including some early symphonies by Mozart not generally reckoned as part of the canon.
on 20 October 2015
great
on 16 October 2014
We're only just starting our way through these, but it's immediately obvious that Jaap ter Linden has deep insight into these works. If you prefer the energy of small period-instrument orchestras you will probably love these recordings.
on 6 May 2009
This product was delivered so quickly, I didn't have time to look forward to it as it was there and I was playing it. I have already enjoyed so many hrs of listening and as I was in hospital with a tiny stroke recently it was such a good companion, ear-phones on and I was in the world of Mozart music locking out the noise around me. Wonderful. Thank you for a speedy delivery.