• O

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 October 2003
A friend of mine brought this album over 4 days ago, and I musthave listened to it 50 times following. Further to this I have also booked tickets to go and see him live; this guy is phenomenal.
The beauty of his music is often in its simplicity, not unlike Leonard Cohen, but also the feeeling of the Lyrics. Eachsong conveys a very clear message to the listener. However, the acoustic feel of guitar and then rising strings make you feel you're almost in the music. The music always compliments the heartfelt subject of the lyrics, for example the frustration of 'delicate' with strong rising string cords, but also a chilled slow guitar lick during the more thoughful verses.
Damien is clearly a loely Irish boy, but this does not translate to the very heavy lyrics of someone like Sinead o'Connor. A cello frequently compliments his music, and is almost like another vocalist in 'volcano.' The songs often are like dialogue between two people, saying the same thing to one another, but not really listening to each other.
My favourite tracks are 'The Blower's Daughter' which then flows into 'Cannonball.' Everything on these tracks sums up the best parts of the album. The great emotional feeling is there - "I can't takes my eyes off you / I can't take my mind off you / Till I find somebody new."
This then moves into a slightly more upbeat guitar lick of 'Cannonball.' Here he laments a past girlfriend he no longer has with him, and is confused by the subsequent relationship. This moves into a triumphant chorus in which he describes what he has learnt - "Stones taught me to fly / Love it taught me to lie / Life taught me to die." The contradictions of wht each experience are obvious - "so come on courage teach me to be shy." at then end it still reverts back to his wanting the girl, this track really also is an example of great musical composition.
Other good tracks are 'Amie' and 'Cold Water.' If anyone says this album is boring, they are simply not listening. Tkae a chance, buy it, and if you like it you will love it.
on 25 April 2014
I lost my old copy and it wasn't until I heard Cannonball on the radio that I realised how much I needed it in my life again. Each song is exquisite.
on 25 July 2017
arrived on time. great cd. thanks
on 23 July 2017
as usuall great price and condition
on 6 July 2017
Absolutly Brilliant
on 5 April 2017
all good
on 19 December 2006
"What the hell have you got on," a friend inquired as I was talking on the phone today."It's enough to make you slaskh your wrists," he added.

Well that's his opinion .I prefer to call it tugging hard on the heart strings ,and why not .I found it powerful to the extreme and as far as as track three goes yes it is by far the most expressive thing on there (Blowers Daughter).

Leaving that aside, it is melancholic, self indulgent ,morose .But hey, dont we love being bathed in our thoughts, however sad, once in a while?

The orchestral backing also adds to the drama and I personally felt myself drift back into bitter -sweet youth throughout.All you thinkers out there, get it now