on 3 July 2001
An intriguing, pop turns avant-garde outing from Talk Talk. Great effort has been taken to create a fairly sparse texture of a handful of quirky, and beautifully crafted instrumental lines, supporting simple vocals. The drums are gripping and there is effective use of children's choirs, and melancholy solo trumpets. Am I putting you off with talk of choirs and quirkiness ? - please don't be, because this is a wonderful album, one to put on loud in the early evening and savour to the last.
An added bonus is that this particular album regularly appears on audiophile lists of their best recorded albums ever. Put it on a good turntable (or good CD player now that it has been re-mastered & reissued on CD as well), give it amplification with punch and dynamics, and it will absolutely enthral - transients are whipcrack, detail and soundstaging are there in bucketloads. Buy this, then buy spirit of eden, & work back to it's my life for something more recognisably commercial. It's all wonderful music.
on 18 July 2009
I bought this when it came out in 1986. I was 13 and into Queen and Dire Straits. (I also bought Album by P.I.L. the same year, so clearly my tastes were reaching out).
As I remember I got it in WHSmiths in Kingston Surrey on cassette. I was out with my Aunt and got back to her house and listened to it on my rubbishy but essential Dixons 'walkman'.
I was transfixed. I could smell the autumn leaves. See the morning mist. I was confused but LOVED the fact that Happiness Is Easy seemed so miserable. The recorders at the end of Time Its Time. And of course the pounding positive message of Lifes What You Make It.
I just listened to this again today on CD - which prompted me to write a review. Its like a Linus blanket. You can always go back to it. Its the same conforting noises, but always feels new.
This album was me and my mate Chris's 'rainy Sunday' album. It somehow always made Sundays better.
Brighten the dark areas of your life with it. Its wonderful modern folk with pop.
on 29 April 2013
Re-discovered after a long absence when I lost the CD and found it again.

It's as much about the space between the music as the music itself. Extraordinary music that we'll still be listening to in 30 years
on 5 December 2009
Having loved this in the 80's i hearing it all over again in the noughties makes me realize what a timeless album it is.Voice sublime, music layered to perfection.Really miss this band, they were superb live as well.
Sitting on my CD shelf, Talk Talk appear as the first of the Ts, just after the last of the Ss, David Sylvian. This is rather fitting as both use fragile voices and both have a dedication to perfection with atmosphere in their sound.

This was the group's third album and marked a distinct change in direction. This can be ascertained by simply looking at the list of instruments employed: Kurzweil (one of the first digital sampling keyboards), harp, mellotron (groovy!), dobro (a resonator guitar), and a variophon. The album also features some famous names: Morris Pert on percussion, Danny Thompson on bass, and Steve Winwood on organ among them. But Mark Hollis's own vocal style has changed too - if you can call mumbling a style. It's a pity that he does not enunciate his words more clearly, but he has a restrained defiance in his voice that persuades and appeals.

The opening six-minute track, `Happiness Is Easy', has a well-layered sparse texture of bass and percussion and is a fantastic mood-setter. But the glory of this album is `Living in Another World', with its brilliant discord halfway through at the start of the instrumental break. This track epitomises much of the music on this album, with a pattern of sudden sparser changes of instrumentation at the peak of short crescendos, thereby giving an anti-climactic release of tension. Equally, there are some sudden and unexpected key changes.

There's only one duff track that I consider to be a mere filler and that's `Chameleon Day'. Its short melodramatic story, told with a distinctly wobbly voice, doesn't quite work, but does provide a context for the optimism expressed in the final eight-minute `Time it's Time' with the Ambrosia Choir. (I remember them from the early Alan Parsons Project albums.)

For the remastered CD, with its excellent sound, there are no extras.
on 18 March 2013
I think so - and ordered this album from Amazon having lost my original copy some years ago. Colour of Spring was Talk Talk's big hit - but already you can hear the direction the band was to take in tracks like April 5th and Chameleon Day. The final song Time it's Time is transcendental. Very evocative - and a reminder of times and friends past.
on 24 January 2012
this is almost perfect started off an 80's pop band but gradually evolved into their own style ambient jazz rock call it what you want brilliant spirit of eden offten get name checked but this is just as good .hear something different every time i listen cant praise it highly enough. i think i was only 16 when i first heard it saw them live in newcastle hasnt dated one jot GENIUS!!!
on 11 April 2013
One of the best spring music albums of all times. Though released a long time ago, the album still catches with its freshness and mysterious mood. And the evergreen "Life Is What You Make It"... Highly recommended.
on 13 January 2010
Sounds just as good now as it did in 1997. The voice of Mark Hollis is hauntingly beautiful.
on 30 September 2012
i still rate this as the best album of the 80s and is by far and away my favourite ever album, abbey road is second and whos next is third. Its just perfectly crafted and at the time was revolutionary, buy it!