on 15 May 2003
I bought one of these several months ago.
They're much heavier that they look. I should know, I carried round Manchester from the cookshop to the car!
Since then it's been used for all kind of different things, stews, chilli, even Mulled Wine.
It cleans up really easily, hand washed or through the dishwasher, and still looks brand new.
Yes, it is quite expensive, but you really do get what you pay for - decent quality & hard wearing.
I expect this will still look just as new in several years time.
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2006
I have dreamed of owning a Le creuset caserole for years. My mum has a set and I have always admired the beauty and versatility of them.
Thanks to Amazon I found this one for a snip at some £40 odd and snapped their hands off.
I dont care what people say, the Mocha colour is lovely. It goes lovely on my table with my chocolate brown tablewear and cooks beautifully.
I keep it pride of place on the hob and nearly everyone who walks in my kitchen comments on it and how they would love one.
I love it and would recomend this 24cm size for a family. Not too big and not too small. I can cook a large caserole for 6 people no problem.
on 21 July 2012
Superb pot, lovely colour, easy to clean even if your food burns, no need to oil pan before use, quality second to none... They heat up slower than aluminium sauce pans, but distribute the heat better and retain the heat for longer; therefor suitable for many types of cooking (browning, braising, reducing, caramelizing, making soups, etc), and of course great for slow cooking. I personally use them a lot in Asian (Thai & Indonesian) and French cooking.

I got my Le Crueset Cast Iron Casserole pots some 3 years ago. I started off with 1 and quickly became 8 in different sizes and colours. I ordered them online, but not through Amazon, and all of them arrived in the best of condition and quality.

The 24 cm pot is a good size casserole pot for a family of 4, it would probably fit a small chicken in.

As with other Cast Iron products this pot is heavy, so if you have weak muscles or back like I do, you will need someone to help you out with this pot in the kitchen.

To give you some idea, below are my Red 24cm Pot's specifications (approx.):

Portion : 4-5
Volume : 4.2L
Lid weight : 1.55 kg
Pot weight : 2.45kg
Total weight : 4 kg
Height : 10.5 cm
Max oven temperature : the black phenolic lid knob up to 190C/375F, but Integral cast iron handles or stainless steel knobs can be used at 230C/446F or higher.
on 20 January 2013
I already have a 22 and a 28cm casserole dish. The 22 I tend to use as an extra saucepan, as being a family of three it is a bit too small for anything else. The 28 is huge and sometimes you just don't need that, so I wanted one in the middle of those and this is just the ticket.

As usual good price from Amazon, far cheaper than anywhere else. I got a warehouse deal on this and only paid £74.00.

The colour is lovely. I have gone for a blended Le Creuset collection and have got my items in this the Cassis, Cobalt Blue (which they don't make anymore, but the current Graded Blue is almost exactly the same,) and teal.

This one, despite the picture, actually has the stainless steel knob, which is different from everything else I have. But, it makes it look really modern and if I decide I want the black one, I know Le Creuset sell them separately.

This holds just enough and is another great item for your one pot cooking, it really is from hob to oven. I admire the fact that Le Creuset offer a lifetime warranty on their cast iron/enamel products.

As always, this washes up really well, and they are dishwasher safe. However, I have yet to put any of mine in the dishwasher as I like to wash and dry them and put away.

Like all Le Creuset don't use metal utensils with this. I use sillicone (in fact I recently bought some Le Creuset silicone spatulas, they look lovely and work really well, except are wooden handled so can't go in dishwasher.)

The one thing I have learnt is that despite checking it out on the web, and it seeming that you can, don't use a bamix with these dishes. I did, and now have a small amount of damage to the bottom of one of my dishes. I think where the metal must have knocked the bottom. It's a shame, as I now have all these expensive casserole dishes and an expensive bamix, but have to keep my old M&S casserole dish to make homemade soup for fear of damaging these.
on 10 April 2012
This is everything you expect from Le Creuset, robust, versatile, and great quality. It is a large pan that could easily serve 4. Great for stews and even small roasts. The volcanic colour is as vibrant as ever and I always find that it cleans up nicely.

A happy 'pro' with this dish (although irrelevant to some), is that the lid also fits Le Creuset Tarte Tatin Dish, Volcanic, which is not supplied with a lid.
on 12 August 2012
I had been thinking about buying a le creuset casserole for a long time but felt I couldn't really justify the expense. Then I was given an Amazon gift voucher and decided to take the plunge.
Since I bought it, this casserole has been in almost daily use as a saucepan and casserole and it is big enough to hold a medium chicken for roasting. It cleans up beautifully both in the dish washer and when hand washed, and is amazingly non stick. It is worth every penny, and I'm glad I went for the original, and not a cheap copy.
I bought it through the Amazon warehouse system, which I was not aware of before. This showed up on the listing as a used item, but when I checked the description, it was new, just in a damaged box. This meant I had it from Amazon, with all the usual guarantees and free delivery, but at a discounted price of £77. I will certainly keep an eye out for other items like this, after all I just put the box straight into the recycling!
All in all, I am really pleased with my purchase
on 30 November 2014
Have had a 24cm Le Creuset Casserole for nigh on 30yrs - enamel was wearing through in places, so time for a replacement. This one is identical to the old one in every respect - when you've got a perfect design, why change it. Not cheap but managed to pick a great deal through Amazon Warehouse.

Tip: if the enamel surface gets burned on stains - particularly likely when frying things like onions - rather than using a scourer to remove - takes ages and lot of elbow grease - use neat bleach - yes - bleach and leave to soak over night. Stains - even blackened charring is removed without the need to scour. As the surface is enamel, bleach won't damage or the surface or leave any taste taint.
Le Creuset is about the best kitchen utensilware you can get. This casserole is big enough to comfortably feed 4 to 6 people. The enamelled iron matches the colour of our kitchen and the pan is reassuringly heavy. Heat dissipation is very good and cleaning straightforward. If you want ti invest in the best, this is the one to go for.
on 21 November 2014
Can't praise this enough. great cooking results. Easy to clean, Looks good as new every time. It's lighter than high street alternative but so much better quality, it's worth every penny and more. I have cooked so much in this already every time the results are amazing, even bread! Is perfect as you can use this on the hobs and in the oven
on 2 January 2014
For many years I have used these casserole pots in different sizes and have been so pleased with them I bought this one for my daughter and her husband for Christmas. They love it! Just what they wanted for all those family casseroles, spagbols and pot roasts. Le Creuset cast iron products last forever, extremely hardwaring, lovely colours and have surpassed all expectations.