Dance Of Death
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 March 2015
This is the best Iron Maiden album of all.
Yes I know that's a huge statement to make given their back catalogue and with Maiden being the best band in the world that makes this one of my favourite albums ever made.
So how, you ask is this better than Number Of The Beast? Because it holds your attention for longer and it has everything you could possibly want in ahard rock record. For someone who loved the band through their heyday of albums 3 to 7 I don't make this statement lightly.
There are short fast songs with stunning melodies such as Rainmaker and Montsegur and there are longer, enthralling songs like the title track and Pascendale which captivate you with haunting lyrics and hooks galore. There's even an acoustic song to close the album down, a first for the band.
The sound on this record really is perfect with all instruments sounding perfect but brought together really does take hard rock to a new level. You can fully understand why Steve Harris wanted three guitarists all those years ago. The production, engineering and artwork are amazing and of course Bruce is in great voice.
The album as a whole really does draw you in and holds your full attention for throughout the near 70 minutes of musical precision and high perfection. For all the doubters, do the playback test. Play DOD immediately after NOTB or Powerslave and see how it holds up. You'll thank me.
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
Sadly having now listened to all the Bruce Dickenson Maiden albums, I can honestly say this one is the weakest and flat sounding of the lot - only Prayers for The Dyin (which I'd give 2 stars) manages to be worse as an album.

Saying that its better than average metal for about four or 5 tracks (first couple and last couple) hence the 3 stars so worth a listen so you can pick out some tracks worth hearing.

Want the good news? ALL THE OTHER DICKENSON MAIDEN ALBUMS ARE 5 stars amazing......so please go and enjoy....
on 7 October 2010
This is one of the maiden albums from after dickinson rejoined, maiden have created another epic album after the superb brave new world, yet this is more melodical metal than before.

1.Wildest dreams- Awesome intro track, powerful, melodic and uplifting, nothing to break the mold, but still good 9/10

2.Rainmaker- Another very good track, awesome chorus and an epic intro riff, one of the best songs on the album. 10/10

3.No more lies- Darker and more moody than the previous tracks at first, dead good intro, leads into an excellant song 9/10

4.Montsegur- Classic galloping maiden riff, very melodical and epic track, uplifting. 9/10

5.Dance of death- Slow moody metal, great solo, slightly long winded, but still a good track 8/10

6.Gates of tommorrow- intro sounds like an acdc song, then leads into something that sounds like from here to eternity off the fear dark album, but not as effective. Probably my least favourite song on the album, but still worth listening to 7/10

7.New frontier- Another powerful riff, sounds like something off brave new world, good track, nice solo 8/10

8.Paschendale- Drags on a bit, but still with a cool and melodical chorus, some nice guitar licks 8/10

9.Face in the sand- nice slow build up, leading into a pretty good track, no powerful chorus though 7/10

10.The age of innocence- not a bad song, nothing special, pretty good riff, very good chorus 7/10

11.Journeyman- Beautiful closing track, orchestral music sounds fantastic, vocals are fantastic. An absolute maiden classic 10/10
One person found this helpful
on 23 July 2010
Wow. After the excellent Brave New World I thought we may get a few ok albums (especially on the evidence of their output between 7th Son and Virtual XI) but not another stunning classic! They are now officially the best metal band anywhere ever.

I won't go through the whole album as many here have done already, but suffice it to say if you like metal, rock or are even an all rounder or muso, you need to hear this. It's not groundbreaking and it's not new or cool - which actually makes it kind of current. It's just 6 blokes making a holy racket. Brilliantly.

I suppose 'Gates of Tomorrow' and 'Face in the Sand' are the only 2 tracks that aren't 5 star efforts. All the rest are pure gold.

They didn't just continue their success with Brave New World - they bettered it by 100%.
on 29 December 2013
I assumed this album wouldn't be as good as the greats, like seventh son of a seventh son, or number of the beast. But THIS is my favourite Maiden album now, it is simply outstanding.

(I am only highlighting a few songs)

"Rainmaker" is full of power, though it isn't heavy, it is very nice to the ears.

Another great goes by the name of "Journeyman" again, this isn't in the traditional style Maiden are known to produce, however it is very energetic in it's own way. and if you are ever in a depressed mood, this will certainly make you feel better.

Passchendaele (Well, they call it "Paschendale") Is rather unique but still in the British metal style.

"No more lies" has strong vocals and the chorus will get you singing along. I wouldn't call it the best, but definitely a great.

Dance of Death is the name of the album and I know why they chose that name, "Dance of death" is simply a must listen, Maiden sometimes make songs about adventures or rather mystical stories. A good example is "Still life" (In Piece of mind) But Dance of death really goes for the story telling and the general feel. I am very pleased with it.

"Montsegur"? I think it is a bit over-rated although VERY CATCHY. I love it. :)

All in all, Dance of Death is by far superior to other albums like Fear of the dark (And fear of the dark is a must get in my unpopular opinion) I cannot describe how amazed I was when I finished listening to it. I give this 5 stars. Effort= 10/10 Musical Talent= 9.4/10

Maiden, you did NOT disappoint me. The Album in general deserves a solid 9.8/10 A few guitar solos were same-old same-old, but awesome nonetheless.
on 15 April 2018
I have not received those products so far,
I can not value the products if I have received them to date
on 20 October 2016
Was buying/replacing my Maiden collection and got this as part of a deal. I thought I had every Iron Maiden album, with the exception of the (Blaize) years.
on 20 February 2018
excellent
on 15 March 2018
It's okay
on 12 August 2017
Brilliant album! Paschendale sounds and feels amazing.