on 23 January 2018
3 cup Moka

Maximum water volume in bottom section: 160ml (up to valve)

Amount of coffee required: 15g (funnel filter must be full and levelled off, do not tamp down)

Amount of espresso realistically produced in top section: 100ml (remove from medium heat as soon as gurgling sound occurs... left any longer can impair taste)

Possible number of espresso size servings: 2 (50ml per serving)

Possible number of regular size mug servings: 2 (50ml espresso then top up with hot water + milk/cream/sugar to taste).

Possible number of very strong regular size mug servings: 1 (100ml espresso then top up with hot water + milk/cream/sugar to taste)

Costs: A 250g bag of coffee will allow you to use this 3 cup Moka pot about 16 times according to my measurements above. This will give you 32 servings. A 250g bag of decent coffee is approx £4 therefore the price per serving works out at approximately 12.5p. The price per use is 25p (16 uses from 250g bag of coffee).
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 October 2016
I bought this 3 cup Espresso maker 7 years ago and am writing the review today! Its been with me all over the world - USA, Australia and now back in Scotland. In Sydney my Italian housemate had the same one and loved it as I do. The smell and ritual of making the brew is fun and its pretty quick and easy to use. I've replaced the seals twice (cheap) and it still makes the best coffee ever. I like a big strong cup so this 3 cup is enough for one "long black" (americano) coffee. The Bialetti founder recently died but his spirit lives on with this timeless stove top coffee maker. Don't buy an imitation. Enjoy!
review image
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 12 June 2017
I've wanted one of these every time I've seen an Italian mafia film or series - they always use them!
Good build quality, fiddly it has to be said, but isn't that half the fun? The ritual of coffee making.
You might need to juggle your hobs to make sure it stays balanced while brewing, the base to hob ratio is important.
Get some decent coffee from the wonderful Hasbean and you will have a superb espresso
on 15 September 2016
Just the experience of making coffee with one of these things is almost enough reason to buy one. Strictly speaking, it does not make espresso however it's as good as from my perspective especially if you have used the right coffee - I use illy Moka ground coffee. My partner really enjoys a coffee made with one of these with warm/hot milk added. Definitely recommended
on 28 August 2016
Used for 8 months, the plastic tip on top is spinning, but somehow still secure. The whole thing is still shining. Most importantly, makes amazing coffee. When making, don't compress the coffee grounds and ensure there are no grounds are around the edge before you close it (to ensure a perfectly right fit). Use mineral water so you don't need to descale it constantly. To clean it, just rinse with v hot water. When it needs a deeper clan use sodium bicarbonate and a few drops of water. There are more beautiful looking Mokas out there (like from Alessi which is also aluminium but with no plastic parts) but the coffee will taste the same
When I first used this, I used Lavazza pre-packed from supermarket and it tasted awful with this. Since then I always used freshly ground coffee. This 3 cup maker can half fill a small mug to make a strong latte.
on 18 July 2017
This was the only 4 cup pot I could find. Having already got cheaper copies of Bialettis in smaller sizes I was curious how the original brand would compare.

It does have a more substantial handle and the safety valve pin can be pulled out a bit to check it's not stuck. It is slightly more heavily made than the cheaper ones, though they work quite satisfactorily. The only other difference is that the gasket is rubber not silicone. Some people say they prefer the silicone ones but the rubber one does seem a bit easier to remove for cleaning.
on 14 February 2016
I love good coffee, but I don't live anywhere near a decent coffee shop. I also have a tiny kitchen so no room for a large coffee machine. Tried compromising with first, the Dolce Gusto, then the Tassimo machines. They are handy, but they don't make good coffee, especially now that Tassimo have changed the milk pod into something undrinkable. The Bialatto (4 cup) costs far less than either, is almost as quick to use and it reliably delivers an excellent brew. Yes, you have to clean it and the grounds are a little messy to remove, but it's a small price to pay, I find. Delighted with my purchase.
on 26 December 2017
Great little coffee maker. Have used these for the past 50 plus years as lived in Italy. People complain about them dripping when you pour the coffee but they dripped in the sixties and they drip now (the model is identical) and I guess they'll never change but they make a super espresso !
on 5 January 2017
I bought this primarily to take with me when wild camping. Having obsessively reduced my pack weight, I thought I could probably justify 256g for a decent espresso after my usual broken sleep on the side of the mountain. As it turns out, the coffee it makes is great and so I also use it at home. Very happy.
on 10 March 2018
Just received this. boiled the water two times, then again using coffee, damn, this a strong coffee, i need to tweak a few things, not least my hand grinder grain size as i think i may have overdone it, but the item worked very fine, and i was just getting fed up with those pump contraptions failing on me, looks like this one might last me out, as far as i can see, the rubber would be the only part that can fail, and i see they easily got as a spares on amazon for under a fiver. I shall, as always update as time goes by, see you soon