Customer reviews

1,391
Size: 3 Cup|Change

on 3 April 2014
I have an electric espresso/cappucino maker machine at home but I also have this Bialetti Moka for when I travel. I am Italian and I can tell you that this is a very traditional way of making Italian coffee at home (every Italian home has one or more of these in different sizes) and this is still the best way to make coffee at home in my opinion. Living overseas I sometimes find it hard to find good ground coffee to use so I need my stock of coffee from Italy to last as long as possible. I find that with the same quantity of ground coffee I get more out of the Bialetti than I do from the electric espresso maker. The workings of this machine are very simple, through heat and high pressure all the good oils form the coffee are extracted and mixed with the boiling water. If you want make real Italian coffee at home then this (and good quality ground espresso coffee) is all you need. This size makes two italian espresso cups of coffee. Please note that Italian espresso cups are small because this coffee is more concentrated and stronger than a drip coffee.

some tips:
- once the machine makes a noise it is time to take it off the heat (do not let the coffee boil in it)
- once the coffee is all out stir it before pouring (the last bit of coffee is more diluted than the first half which sits in the bottom)
0Comment| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2016
I bought this 3 cup Espresso maker 7 years ago and am writing the review today! Its been with me all over the world - USA, Australia and now back in Scotland. In Sydney my Italian housemate had the same one and loved it as I do. The smell and ritual of making the brew is fun and its pretty quick and easy to use. I've replaced the seals twice (cheap) and it still makes the best coffee ever. I like a big strong cup so this 3 cup is enough for one "long black" (americano) coffee. The Bialetti founder recently died but his spirit lives on with this timeless stove top coffee maker. Don't buy an imitation. Enjoy!
review image
on 12 June 2016
The bottom erodes in 2-3 uses. Such disappointment at the quality by a reputed manufacturer. I will upload my photo soon.
review image
on 18 May 2017
This espresso maker is very nice and is making a very good coffee. I was expecting it to do 2 to 3 espresso cups of coffee but (unless I'm not using it well), it hasn't reach that number so far. I am not a heavy coffee drinker and bought it in order to receive friends and family (who usually drink espressos) so it would be fine for the occasional coffee cups, but it could have been annoying if I was drinking an espresso every morning with my partner. My boyfriend is more a mug-coffee drinker (with milk) and it's perfect for one mug, so, so far, all good for me.

It is easy to use and to clean. At first I had a slight leaking problem -where the seal is- while heating, but I have been very careful with it and tight it correctly and it hasn't reappeared. The quality itself seems really good and I love the smell of the freshly made coffee.
on 15 September 2016
Just the experience of making coffee with one of these things is almost enough reason to buy one. Strictly speaking, it does not make espresso however it's as good as from my perspective especially if you have used the right coffee - I use illy Moka ground coffee. My partner really enjoys a coffee made with one of these with warm/hot milk added. Definitely recommended
on 18 July 2017
This was the only 4 cup pot I could find. Having already got cheaper copies of Bialettis in smaller sizes I was curious how the original brand would compare.

It does have a more substantial handle and the safety valve pin can be pulled out a bit to check it's not stuck. It is slightly more heavily made than the cheaper ones, though they work quite satisfactorily. The only other difference is that the gasket is rubber not silicone. Some people say they prefer the silicone ones but the rubber one does seem a bit easier to remove for cleaning.
VINE VOICEon 12 June 2017
I've wanted one of these every time I've seen an Italian mafia film or series - they always use them!
Good build quality, fiddly it has to be said, but isn't that half the fun? The ritual of coffee making.
You might need to juggle your hobs to make sure it stays balanced while brewing, the base to hob ratio is important.
Get some decent coffee from the wonderful Hasbean and you will have a superb espresso
on 12 September 2015
I love this espresso maker - it makes one cup which is perfect. I have a cafetiere for when I want a longer drink and have a a 3 cup Bialetti for those times when I am making for a couple of people. Most of time however I prefer and espresso and usually it is only me who wants one - this maker is therefore great.

Before I bought it I was wondering if it would be too small for even the smallest gas ring but I need not have worried as it was fine. I have found that I can have the gas turned up almost full and the flame still does not come beyond the end of the pot.
on 12 July 2017
i was quite dissapointed when i saw the insides of the item. I looked on utube to find out how to put it all together and make the first coffee. When i saw the pot on utube with the same name i was quite taken aback at how nice and clean it looked compared to my one which also has no mark to tell where the water level should be. The coffee its self was lovely and i noticed that there was water coming out of the middle of the pot. so i screwed the parts together a bit more tight. It does warn not to turn to tight so i was being careful here.i mean it makes a great coffee but i dont like the insides of the pot as its all stained.
review image review image review image
on 16 March 2017
There's nothing like the aroma that permeates a house when an Italian coffee pot starts percolating. It is simply wonderful!

I've been using these for about ten years and this is my first Bialetti one (someone annoyingly threw away my previous one as it had gone a bit mouldy on the inside but I am pretty sure they can last for decades!). I think this is billed as making 9 cups (which I believe means espresso cups). This is the equivalent of 2 mugs.

An Italian coffee pot brews coffee in about 5 minutes. For an authentic Italian experience you should use Lavazza or Illy (their most famous national brands) in one. But any ground coffee will do; obviously it's even better if you've just ground it yourself!