on 23 April 2013
When this series first ran on BBC-2, my mother would ask, 'What are you watching?', as was her wont with anything that was edgy and weird. This is still edgy and weird thirteen years on!

Julia Davis and Rob Brydon were a team on this - evolving stories that weren't laugh out loud funny, but thought-provoking. I still feel sad at Les and Rae's story, 'More Than Happy' and would love to see a follow-up story where they foster a child or two as replacement for the twins they lost. They could have gone to Uganda (Rob's visit for Comic Relief in 2013 was so touching). Les's little songs made me smile - No Peas In Barcelona, and I'm The Happiest Man Alive for two. I could picture the character singing these to a child and missing out a word so they could fill it in.

Peter in 'An English Squeak' was another manchild - possibly further up the social scale than Keith Barret, but still in arrested development. His wife was so in thrall to her dead husband Geoffrey (Rob in the flashbacks in a blond wig and lighter contact lenses) that she made poor Peter lie by his graveside in preparation for his own death. I think she was lying about the vaginismus, and I'm glad Peter let off his frustrations with Nanna (Joanna Scanlan)! But the bit at the birthday party made me feel sad - when he says his grandfather and father both died at 40, and he was turning 40. His facepaint suggested death even though the clowns and balloons were supposed to be happy, and the wife's clumsy playing of 'Moonlight Sonata' on the piano seemed funereal too.

The religious couple were very strange - surely they would have twigged that the couple they regularly delivered curly sausage casserole to (this is not a euphemism) were gay? Rob as the minister had a grey wig and blue contact lenses, making me think of Roger Daltrey mixed with Robert Kilroy-Silk! I loved the bit where they were singing 'Have I The Right?' to the dog on the bonus material. He ought to have done 'Dogs' (The Who song about the dog races guy, not Pink Floyd's)!

'All Over My Glasses' featured a little football boor called Stephen, with custard-yellow Tintin hair I feel sure was reprised for Matt Lucas's Daffyd in 'Little Britain'! I can't believe the actor who portrayed damaged souls like Keith Barret and Bryn West was the same man who shouted at his girlfriend in this over the choice of the music for their wedding, and then turned his back on her when she was several months gone with their child. Ruth Jones plays the part of the girl's best friend, and she has a thoroughly rotten time with him and his best friend (Mark Benton) on their stag night.

The swingers in 'Slither In' were a weird couple. They wanted to renovate the room where the sister (?) Val still lay in a coma - we never did get to know if she recovered or died. They also had a dungeon full of S & M gear downstairs at their seaside home.

'Hairless' was my favourite episode after 'More Than Happy'. Fonte Bund's bickering with poor, put-upon Barne Willers made me think of what may have led to Steve Caton departing Tori Amos's touring band! I felt like I wanted to give him a hug and tell him to leave her and get his own songs heard - I liked the 'Cat & The Mouse' song (shades of Genesis's 'All In A Mouse's Night')! He seemed like a real life musician to me; his day job in a solicitor's made me think of members of IQ and Spock's Beard that couldn't have their respective bands as full-time work. I was convinced that his squint was for real until I saw the makeup tests - I was thinking, did he get a squint corrected much later in life than some other people? The touring adventures of Fonte and Barne are on the bonus material, also featuring John Martyn who supplied the series's theme song.

The bonus material also includes the improvisations Rob and Julia did that were the basis for the scripts. It's so lovely to see them laughing behind the scenes, after all that!
on 6 August 2014
A difficult one to review as it is a very alternative and black comedy. Certainly it's one of the most well delivered I've come across and the acting is superb.

The comedy takes the form of a reality interview. A look at six disparate couples and all played by Brydon and Davis. Some of the humour is cutting, droll and near the knuckle. I was quite captivated for the first three episodes. By the fourth the formula was wearing a bit thin as the humour started to chaff and depress more than amuse. Maybe if there had been more differentiation between the characterisation in the later episodes it would have enhanced the series? It started to become a little sad rather than amusing.

But certainly, it was in a class of it's own and very clever.
on 22 May 2017
Quite dark and uncomfortable comedy. Julia seems to specialise in this, and I can only watch it alone as I'd spend my time glaring at any company I was in, as if to say 'did I just hear/see that?'
very original and skin crawlingly good.
on 12 April 2015
a comic theatrical creative triumph. julia and rob's characters are profoundly dysfunctional, cathartically dark and hilarious. i especially love the one where julia's character is drinking and chatting with her (long deceased) ex boyfriend (s headstone) at her husband's bday party.

wow brydon. what happened to you man? you used to be cool.
on 5 February 2015
Grim, wincingly painful black comedy. We watched it on consecutive nights and I wouldn't recommend this - space them out a bit more, as they are all quite depressing. Brydon is great in this - the best he's ever been, I think, but Davis is a revelation (and incredibly beautiful as both Flick and Fonte). The extras are great - it's very interesting to see the creative process at work.
on 15 March 2017
If you like Julia Davis and/or Rob Brydon, this is a must-see. Dark and funny with weirdly recognisable characters.
on 11 August 2011
I believe this was only ever shown once on BBC 2 in 2000 when it first came out. I don't know why it's never been repeated.

I have watched this several times and everytime, I've noticed something else. Julia Davis and Rob Brydon really are brilliant. Original and SO talented. The episode starring the Brighton couple, she with Tinnitus and a bit of a tranquiliser addiction , he with the dreadful comb-over makes me cry with laughter.

As much as I love Nighty Night, I have to say that Julia's leanings towards the absurd are curbed a bit by Rob Brydon's more grounded wit in Human Remains. Wonderful. Don't hesitate to buy
on 27 January 2014
If you like Rob Brydon, buy this.
If you worship Julia Davis, buy this.

It is the darkest, funniest, most uncomfortable things to have come from the British Comedy circuit in the last few year,

It crosses the line, then it turns back and defecates over the line

In one word, amazing.
on 7 January 2010
As a huge fan of Jula Davis and Rob Brydon, I decided to watch this series. It is a bizarre look on life, from six extremely weird couples. My personal favourites are Michelle and Stephen, as their unborn (non-existent) child Stephen. Cameos from Ruth Jones and other well known comedic actors and actresses only added to the sheer comedy of the programme. It is nothing like Gavin and Stacey, more along the lines of Nighty Night comedy. If you like The League of Gentlemen, you'll love this!
on 6 September 2014
Rob Brydon and Julia Davies fans will like this. It's a series of docu style comedies where Brydon and Davies play different types of couples, Funny if you like their style. I loved Nighty night and enjoyed these. Didn't give 5stars as I wasn't rolling about laughing, but it was very watchable.