Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 March 2012
Although I take the point made by one reviewer that Stan's playing is short of the energy/inspiration for much improvisation, it would have been tragic had these sessions been lost. Although terminally ill, there is a real sense of warmth, compassion and acceptance in his playing, which I found incredibly moving. Also, as other reviewers point out, the playing is richly melodic and wonderfully comforting, like slipping into dark, rich chocolate.

The quality of the other musicians provide an elegant foil to Getz honeyed tones, with some exquisitely crystalline piano from Barron, and beautifully measured percussion from Mraz and Lewis. Sound quality is very good, though for some reason the 'intro count' has not been edited out. There's about 68 minutes of mellow tenor magic here, and an abundance of balm for the listener's troubled soul. Essential listening, (just dip into the Amazon player if you're not convinced). I'm off to pop it into my player right now: you just can't get too much of a good thing...
on 10 January 2015
Maybe this was part of the coda Stan Getz's life. It's a wonderful reminder of what his death took away from us, and of all that we were deprived of when, for a variety of reasons, he was in bad health.

This is as good an album as I've bought in recent years. As well as Getz's superb playing, Kenny Barron is excellent - as a soloist and as an accompanist. The arguably lesser-known bassist and drummer (Jiri Mraz and Victor Lewis) provide immaculate support. My wife, who is not so keen on jazz as I, also really enjoys this album.

(It might be my imagination, but in the cover picture Stan Getz bears a passing resemblance to Frank lampard.)
on 13 February 2017
I love Stan Getz. This is a great CD. I read the description and it was spot on.
on 13 July 2015
Brilliant, Getz at his best, I am glad the Lost Sessions were found!
on 8 October 2014
Excellent!!!
on 20 April 2013
Excellent cd with highly informative sleeve notes. Stan was in top form with his demons conquered & his favourite pianist's piano work is equally brilliant. Top marks all round
on 3 February 2015
whatever stan wants, stan getz! cool and smooth music to the ears.
on 4 April 2010
This CD is simply superb for 'easy listening over dinner'. It is absolutely sublime and since I bought it, I have ordered three more Stan Getz CD's!!
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 April 2010
There's always a reason why labels don't release recordings, and it's pretty obvious why they didn't originally release this one. Anyone who knows how Stan Getz could play, and listened to him for years, wouldn't recognise him on this session. The improvisations sound tired and the inspiration and originality is conspicuous by its absence (see how many phrases from popular songs of the day you can recognise in his solos). He wasn't well, after all. However, the album is saved by the piano and bass-playing of Kenny Barron (especially)and George Mraz respectively, and for that reason alone I'm glad I bought it. It's OK, but more Muzak than Jazz, and whoever at Amazon classified this under "bepop" should be shot. And there's notta lotta bossa, by the way...
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2004
Let me get this straight, in this time when we are suffocating under an avalanche of tedious, manufactured, throwaway pop music,this sublime, beautiful record has been languishing in a vault since 1989! Genius is such an overused adjective these days but it is entirely fitting in this case. At the time it was recorded Getz was very ill but he roused himself and played as well as he had done at his peak. Buy it.
0Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse