Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£41.95+ £1.26 shipping

on 29 September 2003
Really can't understand the negative review from Classic Rock magazine on this one. If only other "big name" artists could record an album this good, maybe the music industry wouldn't be in such bad shape. On the other hand, UK magazine Guitarist, gave it a 4 star review, calling it a damn good album, made to enjoy. That to me is a more important review because it's based on the MUSIC rather than a soapbox review from a bitter old critic soap preaching about Mr. Blackmore and the good old days back in the '70's. Hey it's the 00's now!!
Now that I got that off my chest, let me tell you about Bananas. A lot of these songs only took two listens before I was hooked. I still don't like one track, Razzle Dazzle, a little too commercial for my ears, but the rest is pure gold and with such excellent musicianship and good production. House Of Pain, the song that opens this album is their new Highway Star, a killer track with great musical interplay. Also songs like, I Got Your Number, Silver Tongue, Sun Goes Down, Bananas (title track) and Picture of Innocence are among the best rockers they've done since the reunion.
There is vintage guitar and organ interplay from Steve Morse and Don Airey respectively. The rhythm section of Roger Glover and Ian Paice brings a precise dynamic that is Deep Purple and also ensures with dignity that this legendary band will carry on with that wonderful spirit. Ian Gillan's singing is focused and terrific as ever.
The last studio album (Abandon) left me a little hungry. Not the case with Bananas, it left me feeling like a just ate a really satisfying meal. One will also note the variety of songs of magnificent quality. On a final note I will say that any fan of rock music will appreciate this CD. As one UK Amazon critic wrote, "Bananas has some instant favorites and some others that will grow and grow and grow on you". A veteran band like Deep Purple is something to be treasured.
on 2 September 2003
In my opinion this has to be the best Deep Purple album in years, in fact since about 1973. It is superb, great songs, great singing, great lyrics and great playing from all the guys (very progressive). The album has a very 70's feel but brought up to date and without losing the classic DP sound. Thanks Don for not ditching the Hammond sound.
I've had the album for two weeks and haven't been able to stop playing it. As soon as it finishes, I start it again (three or four times a day). There are no duff tracks, and I find it hard to pick which are my favourites, though after much debating they would have to be Bananas, Walk On and Doing It Tonight (best guitar solo on the album). Closely following these would be House of Pain, Razzle Dazzle, Picture of Innocence, I Got Your Number, Never A Word and Contact Lost (though why is this little instrumental so damn short!) Sun Goes Down and Silver Tongue are also very good and although the ballad Haunted is a bit cheesy in places, it has a great sympathetic guitar solo, very soulfull.
DP was the first "heavy" band that I got into back in 1978 when I heard the Fireball album for the first time. I've been a huge fan ever since, favourite albums being the MkII albums. Perfect Strangers and Purpendicular are also excellent, but this latest album has shot near the very top of my list of favourites. I can definitely hear influences from "In Rock", "Fireball", "Who Do We Think We Are" but the band have moved on and I can't wait to hear them play a lot of this album on the new tour. We've had the "greatest hits" tour of recent years, but I really want to hear more of these newer songs in the set list. I feel guilty because I thought I'd miss Jon Lord, but Don Airey has fitted in so perfectly that I have to remind myself that Jon is no longer in the band. I don't know if this is a mark of respect for Jon or if it shows what a great keyboard player Don is?
There is so much going on in every track that it is great listening material. The new line-up seems to have had a marked effect on the creativity of the band and this album is way better than any of the rubbish that's come out from other big rock names like Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, and the Rolling Stones in recent years.
Keep on rocking and long live Deep Purple, truly the greatest rock band in the world!
VINE VOICEon 18 January 2004
This album won't win any prizes as being the best Rock album of the year. Neither will it come anywhere near the greatness of the 70s; but . . . it ain't a bad album at all. Highlights include the opening scream by I.Gillan Esquire, followed by 'House of Pain', 'Haunted' - which is by far their best ballad since 'Mistreated' & 'I've Got Your Number'. In fact, all told I would say that this is the best effort from Purple since 'The Battle Rages On' album. Don Airey is on fine form and the guitar of Steve Morse has never been better - great solo on 'Haunted'
For those out there who couldn't see past Blackmore, they're probably not even gonna give this one a chance sans Lord, but if that's you then you're missing out on a peach. So much better than the ast effort as to be out of sight!
on 16 January 2004
I'm a long time DP fan. Only got around to ordering Bananas just before Xmas. Have heard it 4-5 times now and am very impressed. One track that stands out to me is Walk On which was not written by DP but Gillan and Bradford, who produced the album. Wonder if there is food for thought there for any upcoming Gillan solo albums....
Rest of the album has some classic Purple/Morse grooves and Bradford has tried to include various fill-in sounds, intro's, fade out's etc to enrich the songs. Some of the songs remind me more of some of Gillan's solo work. Don Airey blends very well. If I were producer, perhaps I would have made a few changes, hence the 4 stars only. Contact lost could have been longer with more of the vibrato solo.
Finally, a lot of the songs have a lot of elements that could be made into singles, but anyway, this should also be heard by non DP fans. Very, very good.
on 9 March 2004
Since the excellent Mk II hard rock album 'Battle Rages on' I've gradually felt a creeping sense of disinterest in Deep Purple post-Blackmore. Not so now!! Don't judge a CD by its cover or name - 'Bananas' is powerful, complex, and a great testament to the accomplished creativity and energy of the latest Deep Purple line up. In a style slightly reminiscent sometimes of 'Purpendicular' (though much, much better)this album is brimming with fun and optomism.
on 26 August 2003
Deep Purple return for their first studio album in 5 years. The only word to describe this album is magnificent. But then what would you expect from such accomplished musicians. A real mix of tempo's to suit all fans and keep the hardcore happy. This is beautifully produced and the sound is awesome. Highlights are definately Never A Word, Doing It Tonite and the space shuttle inspired instrumental Contact lost. There isn't a weak track on the disc, get out and get yer bananas, theyre ripe.
I bought this album this weekend, not knowing quite what to expect. The title, cover and indeed line-up are a slight deviation away from the their normal ploughed furrow.

Well, what i heard was clearly a Deep Purple album, but injected with great humour, wonderful song titles and some great subject matter.

On the basis that a change is as good as a rest, I have to give this 5 stars for fantastic musicianship, Gillan's great vocals and terrific songwriting. The whole album sounds so fresh and vibrant.

Bands of this age often sound jaded - but not this one!

Well worth buying!
on 28 August 2003
Just a quickie,has along time fan,been with them since early seventies,this is a GREAT DP album,it is up there with the best,For the Morse era fans,this is 100% better than aBANDon and on a par with purpendicular,Don Airey slots into the good Lords shoes very nicely,Gillan is one of the best Brit vocalist of all time and can still do it,Paice and Glover are just Paice and Glover...nuff said......
on 28 August 2003
There are few bands that last that long (35 years!). Even fewer, that try to make music which does not sound like outtakes from their old records. Since the members of Deep Purple claim they are happier now then ever personally and profesionally in the band it really shows on this record. This is perhaps the first studio album that gives DP the justice they deserve. It is as if they formed a couple of years ago and recorded the 1st or 2nd album. It is so fresh - and it does not bother me that some people claim it sounds so different from the records in the 70s. Well, it is 30 YEARS ON! How is it supposed to sound?! Only if you live in a timewarp and listen to the old relics (though some are very good) you will be disappointed with Bananas. It shows band evolving, changing and growing. Deep Purple is not the only band I listen to - others are White Stripes, the Coral, Starsailor, Nickleback, etc. Deep Purple's "Bananas" sound equally fresh in their company.
It is the first album since Perfect Strangers that put smile on my face and I play it proudly on my CD every day.
on 17 February 2004
Where to begin? I have been a huge fan of DP for 25 years and had of late begun to despair of their ability to write new material. I feared that they had become like AC/DC and only came out with a new album to fulfill contractual obligations(then relied on tried and tested material for shows- come on Angus get your act in gear). How they have proved me wrong. Although not absolutely perfect all the way through the album has made it into my top ten playlist.
Gillan's voice has just got better and better. In fact Haunted has joined When a Blind Man Cries as my all-time favourite Purple track - enough said.
I still miss Blackers(and Lord for improvisation on stage)and his moods, isn't that what a Rock Star is supposed to be all about?
Would I reccomend it? Yes, keep listening and your fav. track will keep changing, it is that sort of album. Roll on the next 35 years!