Customer reviews

Shinkansen 'Water' Sharpener - Black and Red

#1 REVIEWER#1 HALL OF FAMEon 17 September 2014
I have a collection of 10 Global knives that haven’t been getting the love they deserve from my whetstone so thought I’d treat them to this water sharpener.

I must say firstly that I love my whetstone, it gives an incredibly sharp edge to my Global knives, but for me it just takes an awfully long time, I admit I'm a bit of a perfectionist with this sort of thing, but I could easily spend 15 minutes sharpening each knife on my whetstone and with 10 to sharpen that’s the best part of the morning gone! Hence the reason for this purchase.

To use it you simply poor water into the wheel compartment (no need to pre-soak like with a traditional whetstone) then you grip your knife firmly and with a very slight pressure move the blade back and forth over the pink wheel 7 or 8 times. If your blade is particularly dull then use the white coarse wheel first, then finish with the fine pink wheel with another 7 or 8 strokes. Always finish with the pink wheel to ensure a fine edge. Once done you just wash you knife and you’re good to go. Just a small note here that if you're sharpening a different brand of knife (i.e. not a Global) then minoSharp recommend 15 strokes per wheel.

My only very slight criticism is that the edge is not quite as fine as I manage to achieve with a whetstone, just not as acute an angle which does mean they need sharpening ever so slightly more frequently than when I use my whetstone…having said that this is far more preferable.

Remember, a blunt knife is far more dangerous in the kitchen than a sharp one, you're far less likely to end up cutting yourself if you keep your blades sharp and this Shinkansen 'Water' Sharpener is a great way to keep your knives very sharp.
VINE VOICEon 11 April 2017
Had one of these but it wore out after ten years of regular use. The new one reminded me how well this sharpens Global knives. If you don't want to use a steel then this is a very good and safe compromise, which is quick and very effective. Knives are now back to razor sharp.
on 24 July 2017
Had to wait a long time for this as I had ordered it from Japan I think. Not much of a saving over regular prices which are available. Sharpens my Globals OK but not too clever on other knives.
on 9 December 2015
I love these but the wheels do break/wear out relatively easily, and are as expensive as the device.
I still think its the best brand on the market, but will probably go for the bigger 3 wheel one next time, which I hear is sturdier
on 27 April 2017
GREAT.
on 19 November 2014
Produces a clean sharp edge with little effort , it seems to work better on a little and often routine , so keep it handy .
on 16 April 2017
all good thanks
on 11 August 2015
Bought this perhaps 2-3 years ago. It marked my knives and the white wheel broke quite early on, a bit of epoxy resin fixed it for a while. I did not use any pressure other that the weight of the knife. A small cleaver I tried to sharpen on it might not have helped though. I see now you can buy spare wheels, perhaps this is a warning sign.
The pink wheel felt as if you I was running it other a square wheel after a short period too. Thank goodness I didn't have any expensive knives at the time. This sharpener has left score marks a centimeter deep each side from the blade edge upwards.
Save you money for some reasonable prices whetstones, you won't regret it.
on 30 May 2008
I bought one of these because I was tired with dragging out the whetstones each time my knives needed sharpening. I was surprised that this actually produced a far sharper blade than I could with a big whetstone set.

This version will take a knife from completely blunt to razor sharp with very little effort. You could probably do the classic Samurai silk scarf test on a Minosharp sharpened Global knife but it is a little impractical in the kitchen. A reasonable-sized global knife sharpened on one of these should drop through a tomato under its own weight easily.

One slight niggle (too small to dent the five star rating) - it does make a few small scratches on the knife blade. These are no worse than the general wear-and-tear marks they'll pick up with any moderate use and it shouldn't put you off.

If you use Global knives this is a must. Because it is so little effort, you'll keep your knives sharper and thus safer. Worth every penny.
on 25 October 2016
works like a charm, but please use it as soon as you buy the knifes; the knifes must have a Japanese cut and they need regular sharpening, otherwise you'll never get them sharp again with this tool