on 2 October 2017
There have been many spider man games over the years. Some have been great, others simply awful. But none mange to capture and portray the feeling of the humanity within Peter Parker like this game does. Through excellent cut scenes and dialogue you get a real sense of what makes Peter who he is and how in game events come to affect him and mold who he becomes.
The web slinging mechanics are the best. Period. So satisfying and simple, yet complex enough to engage you and give you the feeling of earning a smooth swing around a building or in between lanes of traffic.
The graphics are great and the day and night elements of the game paired with good lighting make it a joy not a chore to do any all the things there are to do.
A must recommend for any superhero and or spider man fans.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 August 2015
I'll be giving this game a score based on two factors: The product condition and the game itself.

On the first front, this product is great. It arrived on time with the disc and manual in perfect condition. No noticeable problems to be found. On the second front, I'm kind of in the minority. The gameplay left a lot to be desired for me. The combat is fairly dull and repetitive at best and outright frustrating at worst, most notably during the boss fights (I'm looking at you, Mr Octavius). Plus, this game follows what I call the Saints Row 2 style of story progression (even though SR2 was years after this game): Completing side missions in order to earn passage to the next chapter. When side missions are mandatory, I don't see them as fun distractions. I see them as chores. But at least the side missions in SR2 were super duper fun. The crime solving aspect of this game gets old fast. Foiling the same carjacking/mugging/Titanic reenactment over and over again isn't my idea of fun. Not to mention there's some major frustration to be found in the main story missions where cheap deaths are inevitable. Be warned, chapter 9 is horribly dodgy.

But with that said, there is some fun to be had. The more fleshed out side missions like pizza deliveries and dates with MJ are quite enjoyable. They're more like challenges that constantly increase in difficulty rather than constant repeats of the same easy objective like the regular side missions. That's my preferred way of racking up hero points. Plus, there's plenty of collectibles here and there like hidden tokens and hint markers which come with some hilarious dialogue. I'm someone who adores collecting things in a large open world and this game didn't disappoint in that regard. And, of course, the web swinging is awesome. It took me some time to get used to, but once I did I felt unstoppable. It made me feel like I really was Spider-man. Yes please, Treyarch. Oh, and the Mysterio boss fight in the convenience store is one of the best boss fights I've ever seen in my life. If you've played this game, you know what I'm talking about.

All in all, the product is fine but the actual game is nothing special in my opinion. If it wasn't for the key side missions, amazing web swinging and Bruce Campbell, I would have considered it a very weak title.

Product condition score - 2.5/2.5
Game score - 1.25/2.5
Final score - 4/5 (Amazon won't let me do 3.75)
One person found this helpful
on 30 July 2004
Thanks to the idea of free roaming by Rockstars Grand Theft Auto games, companies are now putting it to good use in their games. Spiderman 2 The Movie allows gamers a greater level of freedom allowing the gamer to not only play the main storyline, but actually web swing, web crawl around a huge metropolis map of New York City in their own time.
Gamers can do mini missions as well, solving crimes like robbers and car thiefs and successful crimes stopped give the gamer hero points which allow the user to buy and upgrade special moves and combos. Though the story is based on the new Spiderman 2 Movie, it does draw itself away from the story allowing guest apperances from villains like Shocker, Mysterio and Rhino.
Your also meet as you progress through the game the sexy, but troubled Black Cat who in some missions will lead a hand, but most of the time your find yourself chasing her across the rooftops trying to keep up.
GOOD POINTS:
The GTA free roaming style game play, allows the gamer a greater level of freedom and control over Spiderman and shows that its not simply a misson based game all the time.
Minor Improvements on the Graphics.
Improved Sound Effects.
Better Web System.
BAD POINTS:
Repetitive Mini Missions.
Most Missions Easy.
Web Swinging can sometimes be frustrating.
Overall a good game, some improvements could have been made, but deserves 4 stars for its gameplay.
on 2 January 2014
Kids who love Spider-Man are kids who want to be Spider-Man, and this is the closest they'll get to the experience of crawling along the walls of buildings, swinging around the city, delivering pizzas and catching bad guys. The controls are instinctive and easy to grasp, the graphics are as good as can be expected for a PS2 game and most importantly, the gameplay is bound to keep them busy for hours on end.

If you're an adult, the game might get tedious after a couple of hours. However, I'm writing this review in 2014, a time when most people who actively play PS2 are kids who inherited the console from parents, uncles or older brothers. If you're looking for a game for a kid aged 5-12, "Spider-Man 2: The Movie" is hard to beat.
One person found this helpful
on 28 February 2017
Well my son seems to like it was hard work getting him to have his tea lol so yeh 4.5 stars
on 11 January 2018
My son loves so thank you
on 3 February 2018
Doesn't even work at all. I tried it on my Playstation and 2 others that belonged to my friends and all it does is just load and black screen. Its in perfect condition if your definition of perfect means buying a game that doesn't load.
on 11 August 2017
My son loves it
on 26 September 2013
I got this early this afternoon and I've just completed it in 2:49:40. However it started crashing during the Activision and Treyarch adverts and remained frozen for a few minutes. I panicked a little and wondered about returning it, but eventually the game started and I got that idea out my head quickly. The gameplay was perfect, no faulty aspects, no crashes, no glitches, just a fun game. Personally I feel this is the top No.1 Spidey game with Spider Man on PS1. Love it to bits :)
on 16 May 2017