Customer reviews

X-Men Legends (PS2)

on 12 December 2017
great platformer fps puzzle game faithful to the 90s cartoon
on 16 July 2017
Love RPG games and I like xmen this game delivers both
on 11 November 2016
10/10
on 13 January 2013
Game as thought it would be had fun with it what can you say its a game you play it then get bored of it.
on 29 March 2013
All my life I dreamt of having super powers, using this game (and the ps obviously).
I do just that.

Warning though, you may loose your real life.
on 28 July 2014
Exactly as stated! Perfect service!!!
on 18 May 2015
Came in the mail. Game works, but damn is it hard
on 7 May 2008
I'm not a big fan of gaming and certainly no expert at it and what my brother finds easy, I find very difficult. What I do like about this is that you don't have to remember lots and lots of special moves, though there are some for the more advanced gamers to commit to memory if they want. Unlocking other characters and costumes adds a little variation on a theme and takes you back down memory lane, but care needs to be taken to avoid confusion with some characters looking similar. My only complaint was that once the missions are completed and Master Mould is defeated...that's it, unless you want to go right back to the start. Levelling up characters and completing Danger Room challenges makes characters stronger, and I found that using Cyclops, Storm, Wolvie and Iceman added some pretty high scoring combos. Let the others attack and then blast with Cyke from a distance and watch those points get racked up...Yes, there are limited scenarios, but the overall story is not disjointed too much, and it is a great introduction to Legends 2 - The Rise of Apocalypse, which I have just started playing. I actually went online to search for information regarding the whereabouts of all the Danger Room discs, as some are well hidden and nigh on impossible to find unless you smash everything in sight and explore every nook and cranny of a level - which is tedious. it also takes a hell of a long time to get the power trees completely filled - in fact on my first outing I had lots of empty boxes and inaccessible tricks to use. Danger Room Challenges are very limited in scope, with a lot of the scenes being the same, and lots of them are very difficult unless you know how to get around them...which is why the game guide is probably useful, as was the online Walkthrough I accessed. I thoroughly enjoyed playing this, and my nephew is now on with it. Each time I play it I just try to find more discs, level up more often and see if it gets better. Playing as Magneto for the Endgame might have been useful too, but I found that a lot of the characters were added extras that were never used. Jean Grey has her uses for some levels but Beast and Colossus less often and Gambit, Nightcrawler, Emma Frost and Magma were only used when they had to be, and Jubilee and Psylocke never, except on Danger Room challenges for extra rewards. Well worth buying, as it is endless hours of fun. I drove my missus wild with the constant cries of "Combo!" and "Super Combo!" from the CPU.
on 18 March 2011
I played Marvel: Ultimate Alliance a while back and after discovering this game afterwards and finding out they were supposed to be similar, was very excited to get playing it. How I wish I'd stayed away. After three hours, I decided enough was enough and had to switch it off.

Plot: Magneto has a plan to give mutants the power to reign supreme over humans. By choosing a team of X-Men, you are then tasked with putting a stop to his world domination and prevent the human population being enslaved.

Graphics: Quite poor. Although when actually playing the game, everything looked alright if a little basic, when switching to cut scenes, they were dreadful. The X-Men had oven mitts for hands and around every character were huge black lines giving everything a blurry effect.

I found the art direction a little confused at times too. Sometimes when being shown a setting, the graphics would switch from a cell shaded effect to a realistic one and then back again like they weren't really sure what to do.

Sound: You have your usual catchphrases delivered by the different X-Men while selecting or fighting. Some of them are spot on while others sound like they could be anymore. Not consistent.

Game play: X-Men Legends is an action role playing (RPG) game. You choose four members out of a selection of X-Men and then head off onto your mission. However, at each save point (called an extraction point) you can switch members in and out as well as resurrect any that have happened to of died along the way.

Throughout the game, as you kill enemies and complete objectives, you get experience points which cause you to level up every now and again. When levelling up, you are given skill points which can be used to either level attributes up or skills. If you're not sure where to put your new points, there's always the auto button that can help choose the places for you.

As you play through the game, different items are dropped for you to equip. Although they don't show up on your X-Men while playing, they give a boost to your stats. There are some famous items to be found too.

Once you've selected you X-Men and started the mission, you control only one of them but have the other three being controlled by the game. You can switch any time between the different characters and the ones you're not using can have their aggression levels, when they decide to use health packs and what move to use set to your liking.

Although all this sounds great, it would be if the game didn't do such a shoddy job of playing along with you. Now I don't mind dieing when it's my fault and there's something to be learnt from the mistake but when you team mates are intent on jumping down a chasm whenever they see one, it begins to become a little on the frustrating side. Not only do they enjoy jumping to their death, but they like running at it too. Now if a beam of poison is being shot at you and there's a chance to run either side of it, where do you run? If your one of the games players the answer is straight down the middle. Shoddy programming in my eyes.

Controls: Fairly simple to pick up. The bumpers are used for the likes of health and energy packs and directing your team mates while the arrow keys are used for selecting your team member and the shapes for different moves.

Overall: When playing X-Men, I kept wondering if I would have felt differently about playing if I had of played this before Ultimate Alliance but I think that even then, this game wouldn't have been saved from the amount of problems it has.

If you really enjoy comic book games then head over to Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Ultimate Alliance takes this game and tweaks everything to produce what X-Men should have been.
on 14 January 2007
This game follows the story of a young girl, Alison, who graduates to become an X-Man called Magma (who I grew quite attatched to after the first few one-player-only missions) and the X-Men fighting to stop Magneto's Brotherhood. I have many superhero games; five Spider-Man ones, Fantastic Four, Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends II (which I actually purchased before this) and due to me and my sister defeating Apocalypse in II, I decided to buy this. At first, I was sadly disappointed. I expected to create my own team from the start, and instead of the deadly combination of Gambit, Rogue and Nightcrawler hailing from our other game, we were stuck with Cyclops, Storm and Jean Grey, the only redeeming factor being Wolverine. However, as we progressed past theseabysmal characters and unlocked more, we were glued to the screen to hours. It always seemed to be Wolverine in trouble; he was left alone at various hilarious points like the Sentinel flashback (having to defeat a whole horde of Sentinels), the Morlock tunnels (where a huge swarm of evil mutants lived) and in the battle against Pyro (a flame-wielding Brotherhood member). However, due to his healing factor, Wolverine prevailed against these amazing odds. We swiftly unlocked our favourite characters and steamrollered the rest of the game. Nightcrawler, whose teleporting power was useful when rooting out hidden snipers, and Wolverine were mine while Rogue (a super-strong Southern girl) and Gambit (a French guy who lobs purple energy cards at people (!)) were my sister's, and they were all a deadly combination. The bosses proved easy, and only Avalanche and Sabertooth supplied resistance. The only bad point I wish to raise is not having good characters at the start. Being left alone against an army of soldiers and a tank as Storm is not much fun. The other thing that amazed me was Emma Frost. She is unlocked quite late in the game, but she is absolutely awful. She cannot fight in close combat to save her life (literally) and has no useful powers. All in all, however, this is a great game that should appeal to X-Men fans, if only to hear Wolverine say, "I'm the best at what I do,"
One person found this helpful