Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 1 September 2011
As Elvis himself confides in the sleevenotes, his original intention with Trust was to record an LP that crossed "the melody of Armed Forces with the rhythm of Get Happy". With both he & The Attractions beset by all manner of unhealthy chemical diversions, & with producuer Nick Lowe periodically laid low with flu, Trust isn't quite the masterpiece it might've been, but, as fifth albums go, it's a booze blunted, bad tempered BELTER. Hampered, perversely, by too many ideas (rather than a deficit thereof) & a lack of obvious 45s (as fine as "Clubland" & "From A Whisper To A Scream" both are, they're simply not as striking as "Oliver's Army" or "Chelsea"), Trust takes it's time to make it's mark - a good half dozen listens are required before it's tunes finally begin to lodge themselves in the brain. It's worth the effort though - songs such as "Shot By His Own Gun", "New Lace Sleeves", "Watch Your Step" & the Toussaint-inspired "Strict Time" (which definitely SHOULD have been a single!) still rank amongst his best ever, 30 years later.

The additional disc that accompanies some editions of the CD offers up several excellent outtakes that arguably should have been included on the album proper: the terrific "Black Sails In The Sunset" (issued, much later, as the b-side of "Tokyo Storm Warning") & "Big Sister" (relegated to an NME cassette compilation) would both have been highlights if chosen, as would his marvellous attempt at Cole Porter's downbeat "Love For Sale".

Trust, ultimately, is probably not the best point of entry for the Costello novice, but anybody familiar with his first 4 LPs definitely needs this one as well.
on 17 February 2004
One of the best things to happen to me in the late seventies was an introduction by one of my friends to the music of Elvis. I no longer see him but I will always owe him a debt of gratitude for the revelation he provided. How could I take a man who called himself Elvis seriously I thought? Then I heard the Music......Inventive,intelligent,passionate,thought-provoking and so much better than anything I had heard from bands of the time. You couldn't and still can't categorise Elvis. This is part of what makes his music timeless.... he was not part of 'scene'. Like great poetry some of his songs have the ability to open doors in your imagination; to challenge and illuminate. There are so many layers. 25 years on and I am still finding new interpretations, subtle nuances I had missed because I was just listening to the 'Music'. That brings me to the thing that makes this man such a giant. The sheer foot stomping, singing out loud rythmicallity of the Music. Even if he was not one of the best lyricists of his or any other generation the Music could still be enjoyed for its 'tunes'........This album?.......worth buying for 'Big sisters clothes' alone, but there are many classics. Of his 20 or so albums to date I would put this 5th. Just buy it. It isn't 70's 80's or 90's...It's Costello...Trust me.
on 12 September 2011
Have owned a best of Elvis Costello compilation for years, and although I haven't listened to it for a while the tumnes are familiar as I grew up in the 70's/early 80's. I was watching a tv period drama last week, and watch your step was playing in the background - familiar sound but didn't quite recognise it. Bought a second hand copy of Trust (delux 2 cd) from amazon and listened to it during a long car journey this weekend. Some familiar songs, the 2nd CD has alternative versions of some songs on teh main album. Good album.
on 22 July 2003
Although not a classic Costello work, 'Trust' contains enough cunning chord changes to keep up the listener's concentration. I first bought this on cassette at university, and it soundtracked many a grim trek through the middle of Manchester. 'New Lace Sleeves' is the biggest delight here, and was a joy to rip off in my first band, while 'From A Whisper To A Scream' once had the power to hoist me from a sticky personal trough. All of Costello's weaker albums (mainly from the mid-80s, before his 90s run of form) include a few minor classics. When he misfires, it is usually through sterile production rather than bad songwriting, though 'Trust' is perhaps the one album where the puns and metaphors become a little too clunking and obvious. I don't want to end on a negative note, so I won't. This is a good album by most standards. The quality never dips below good, and sometimes touches on excellent.
on 25 April 2015
Brilliant. One of his best.
on 28 May 2015