on 26 November 2016
Bought this after Bowie's death - up till then I'd pretty well ignored his later work ("later" being anything after "Scary Monsters" in my mind, I didn't particularly like "Let's Dance" - and "Tonight" and "Never Let me Down" were dreadful), but after his death, I was keen to hear his voice again, and, after all he had recently been producing great stuff. I find all his later albums benefit from repeated playing and this is no exception, but it is a bit of a mixed bag, with some excellent tracks and some not so good. Produced by Nile Rogers, it has a dancier, funkier feel to it than many of his later albums, though thankfully less commercial than "Let's Dance". It also has an upbeat feel, being his "wedding" album, though it also deals with the sad issue of his brother Terry's suicide ("Jump they Say" - one of the great songs on the album) I also particularly liked "You've Been Around", a wonderful version of "Night Flights" and "Miracle Goodnight". Not so good was "Don't Let me Down and Down". Didn't particularly like his "I Feel Free" version either, though it was good to hear Mick Ronson's guitar - recorded shortly before he died. Overall a good album - and always good to hear Bowie's voice again.
on 5 March 2017
This is slightly 'funkier' than I'm used to Bowie being, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. That said, I don't entirely share the widely held view that this is one of his better albums. It's good, certainly, but it lacks the quirks and idiosyncrasies I expect from Bowie, and I generally prefer his rockier stuff.
on 1 June 2017
My husband love this album excellent service
on 1 June 2017
Bowie at his best
on 26 July 2017
Fab
on 22 August 2017
Very good CD from the ever talented Mr Bowie
on 28 June 2012
To say this album is a work of genius, would be stretching things, but like all of Bowie's albums after his dreaded 80's period, experienced listeners will find his later music incredibly rewarding.

I'm a fan of Bowie's early 70's output, but as I have grown older, my tastes have matured, and I tend to find that it is Bowie's more recent output that draws me back, time and time again. `Black Tie White Noise' offers the listener something very different to anything Bowie has done previously, making it not an easy album to describe. The best way to judge it is probably track by track...

`The Wedding', 'You've Been Around', 'Jump They Say', 'Pallas Athena' and 'Miracle Goodnight' are the type of strong melodic songs that you have come to expect by Bowie, all laced together with some stunning synthetic arrangements. 'Jump They Say' literally explodes out the speakers in a hail of synthetic drum beats. Fantastic stuff! Also, if you have never heard Bowie's cover of Scott Walker's 'Nite Flights', then you are really missing out on one of the finest cover songs ever recorded. It remains, to this day, one of my all time favourite tracks.

The thing is, like with all Bowie's 90's output, it is full of hidden depths, and is more rewarding after multiple listens. Definitely something for the more experienced listener.

However, sad to say, that not every song on this album is pure gold, there are three tracks on here that I would happily throwaway, especially the cover of Cream's 'I Feel Free'. But all in all, if you are a big Bowie fan who's looking for a few tracks to put on a compilation, then there are some real gems worth discovering on this album.

P.S. also, check out the video to 'Jump They Say', it has barely dated.
on 22 April 2016
I have only listened to this once so it may get five stars once listened to a few more times love all bowies albums apart from two
on 25 March 2016