on 20 February 2005
I bought this program around 18 months ago, after I upgraded to Windows XP from Windows 98 and my previous genealogy program, the excellent Family Origins, stopped working as a result. I find Genealogy Suite rather disappointing.
There's no doubt it has all the basics, allowing you to enter and retrieve genealogical information. However, it's not at all intuitive to use, so one wastes time looking through obscure menus for fairly mainstream tasks like printing out a descendant tree. It insists on being installed in specific folders so I had to re-install it several times. In short, the layout and operation of the program remind me of the software of the mid-90s - often more hassle to use than it's worth.
These may seem like petty complaints but they all add up, with the result that what should be an interesting hobby becomes a battle with the PC, which is fairly discouraging. I've decided to bite the bullet, accept that I wasted £30 and buy some better software.
on 21 April 2004
As a complete beginer to the whole geneology arena i actually found thissoftware straightforward and easy to use. It's not the most sophisticatedpiece of software I've ever seen but if you want a simple databaseapproach that lets you enter details of family and then print a tree it'sfine.
I managed to produce a couple really good looking trees bychanging the borders,fonts, colours etc. I did have to fiddle a little toget this right but it makes a big difference to how your treelooks.
Yhe web export feature is quite neat,just click on the icon andyour tree is automatically exported as an html file.
Good value for a first time user like me.
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2005
Sadly, I was very disappointed with this program. After using an old version of Family Tree Maker for years, I went out on a limb and decided to use a new product - not my best move. For starters, there is very little facility to put in sources for information, the way the information is presented is clunky and inconvenient and the navigation is also confusing. Not worth the money you pay for it.
on 30 October 2012
It is just a buy out for Ancestry.com and the GEDCOM files won't work on it; that is it is not possible to take GEDCOM files from "Family Tree Version 4" and use them on ancestry.co.uk or "Family Tree Maker 2012". Get a program FREE of Ancestry.com.
on 12 November 2012
I bought this product when I upgraded to windows 7 earlier this year. I have over 400 years of family history on GSP Family Tree Windows XP but this is not compatible with Windows 7, hence the need to buy an upgrade. I now find that I can not import my original "tree" to the new version because the whole format is different and I get a promt telling me that the GEDCOM files I try to import are out of date. I am left with the choice of losing everything previously saved or starting from scratch with the new version. One question keeps bugging me, If I save everything to the new GSP Family Tree will the same thing happen when the next upgrade comes along?
on 9 April 2006
I recently bought Family Tree Genealogy Suite 4.0 UK Edition from a local genealogy society.I find it very easy to use and I am not a computer expert.
Charts and reports can be easily printed out to show relatives and friends and when information is e-mailed to you it is easy to add it to your other information.
For users in UK it will be even easier!
on 5 August 2008
I don't often review things but this software is so rubbish I have to put people off. Why?
1. Visually it looks like family trees for 8 yr olds
2. It's impossible to navigate around, and look at relatives quickly
3. For some insanely stupid reason you cannot make a big family tree with everyone on, only ascendent/descendants, no cousins, no divorcees, no step-parents, no second cousins.

If you would like to see more than your parents/grandparents on a tree, don't buy this.
on 8 September 2008
I would not advise anyone to buy this software. It is hopelessly unintuitive, thus making it very slow to use. Also since you can't view all your tree at once you never get a sense of the progress you're making in recording your family history.
A waste of money.
Have come to Amazon to choose an alternative product.
on 21 February 2016
Unabkle to get this to visualise on my PC. Windows 10
on 18 April 2012
Photo Album & Paint shop Pro 4 will not load, an error message accurse.
After requests to the help line thus far no response, therefore cannot use.