on 14 January 2018
A great combination of indie/ jangly style guitar, and pure vocals. It evokes a marriage of the 60s, and the late 70s/ early 80s guitar bands.
on 2 September 2017
I love this band with a passion and in my opinion, this is their best album. Rave on!
on 17 April 2015
excellent
on 16 November 2014
great
on 14 May 2004
I got this album by following links on Amazon from stuff I liked. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. This time it REALLY worked.
This is just the best album I've heard for ages. Comparisons with the Jesus and Mary Chain are useful if you remember who they were but whilst the Jesus and Mary Chain were good in theory, this lot are WONDERFUL in practice.
The idea is simple. Sixties style garage numbers coated with a frosting of feedback. But that doesn't really get it over. It's happy, it's dancy, it's weird and underground, it's fun, and it's all in B flat. The Velvet Underground meets the Cramps but without any rubbish tracks. Buy it because you will ENJOY it.
6 people found this helpful
on 15 December 2003
In my collection of over 2,000 albums, I could count on my fingers the number that have more than four great tracks, but this is stuffed with them from start to finish. It's way poppier than "Whip It On" - which is a good thing, if you were wondering - and there's certainly a uniformity to the sound, but when your formula (early Jesus And Mary Chain melodies and noise, Shangri-Las harmonies, two-and-a-half minutes a song) is this good, why tinker with it? Sheer undiluted joy for your ears and soul.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 May 2006
Did anyone mention the Jesus and Mary Chain? Oh right...

I was surprised to read the negative reviews of this album. I came to this band from the Mark Radcliffe show, rather than 'whip it on', and I think the album really rocks. I can't fault it. True, the Raveonettes sound is somewhat 2-d- they have 2 songs- a fast one and a slow one, but to me this is rock n' roll at it's most primal. Sugar sweet tunes buried under ten tons of feedback and fuzz.

This is a great album to put on to fire you up. Just listen to the line 'I walk right up to you/ and you walk all over me' as it blasts from E to A, and tell me you ain't moved by it... it's pure adrenaline. A 'wall of sound' for the 21st century (!)
2 people found this helpful
on 3 September 2003
Not being familiar with The Raveonettes i took a chance on it and the moment i heard the first song a huge grin spread across my face and stayed there till well after the end. The mixture of happy sunny 60's melodies and grim JAMC type feedback works a treat. I found it a genuinely exciting and innovative record, very sensual and teasing - the lyrics are fun but a bit basic. A welcome antidote to the downbeat guitar music we are getting used to.
7 people found this helpful
on 4 June 2004
Firstly I'd like to state that I wanted to unconditionally love this album, I wanted to be able to quote some noir-ish duo like this and say that they are my chosen antidote to kylie. And I almost can. The songs are inspired, truly, with thumping, well-timed effects and ricocheting, stylized 50s and 60s sounding rocky pop, or poppy rock. The singing, if oddly androgynous, works fantastically, and the ideas behind the lyrics are genius (the title- 'the chain gang of love' ought to give you some idea). I don't pretend to know anything about the B-minor/major flat they only apparently play in, or the restriction to three chords, but these, combined with the 3 minute time limit, give the whole album a sense of pared-down, bare bones style - the essence of rock'n'roll, in the true, 50s and 60s sense of the word. Which is all nice. So why, for god's sake, why the whistling, whining feedback? "feedback laden riffs" sound very impressive and raw, but actually translate to your perfectly good song drowning out in what sounds like a snowstorm. Imagine the beginning and end of the Beatles pisstake of the Soviet Union 'Back in the USSR' and you wouldn't be far off. I've come to dread the songs that suffer the most from this affliction of music fashion, and wish that someone would release a 'clean' version. Look good and original it may, but it sounds bloody awful. If the idea that Sune and Sharin have come up with is to create the essence of the music they love, to diverge from the over-engineered mediocrity of a lot of current music, then why did they add the feeback? It obscures the wit and beautiful simplicity of the original song, and seems to go exactly against their mission statement. Having completed my rant, I would like to point out that this album is still worth getting, the music itself is fantastic, returning to ideals that created the greats, with the tinge of gothic-retro-noir sound and coyly suggestive lyrics to keep you interested. But that audial smokescreen of feedback takes away two whole stars every time it squeezes its schrieking way into an otherwise charming song.
3 people found this helpful
on 26 August 2003
Bugger - I was really hoping this would be a classic but it sucks. All the dark edges and brooding sexuality of Whip It On have been replaced by a sickly sweet lightness which just can't enthuse me. The first two tracks, admittedly, are superb but it's downhill from thereon in and I wonder whether this sticking to under 3mins rule just creates easy-peasy songwriting with no quality required. Some of the later tracks - Heartbreak Stroll for example - have balls, but otherwise this is most disappointing. It's always been a pastiche nostalgia-trip of course, but here it wears so thin it's disintegrated. Sad, but true.
One person found this helpful