VINE VOICEon 17 February 2004
I agree with the previous reviewer. This CD was on my potential purchase list for some time but I just couldn't work up the enthusiasm to actually stump up and buy it, what with that country thing in the title with its concomitant associations of bootlace ties and maudlin dirges sung to the bottom of empty beer glasses. Besides there seemed to be so many more worthwhile releases that needed attending to first.
How wrong I was.
Instead of investing in too many lame over-hyped CDs (like the dreary Mountain Goats album We Shall All Be Healed, for one) I should have bought this much sooner because, not to put too fine a point on it, it is blinkin' brilliant.
It's hard to find comparisons, but then again all you need to know is right there in the title. Don't let it put you off like it did me. Get past the country thing and take on board the soul part too because, get this, it's mainly white 'country' artists, see, but with that Muscle Shoals thing going on too. Clever, eh? If you're vaguely considering buying it because it sounds kinda interesting, then believe me, it is as good as you imagine it is. It's righteously funky, sure enough, but not in the teeth rattling, bass-in-your-bones James Brown sense (not that there's nothing wrong with that as we all know) but in a more bluesy, sultry, swampy kind of way. If you like the Elvis of the Memphis sessions or Polk Salad Annie then this should be right up your bayou.
on 4 December 2003
Hope you made it past the first review. This is an utterly superb albumn. I bought it on spec and it exceeded my hopes. So funky! You can ignore the reference to country in the title. It ain't.
It's going to be a great starting point to explore some artists I'm not familiar with.
My copy describes itself as Volume one. Bring on Vol.2!
on 8 May 2015
Sooo disappointed, definitely not what I expected.
on 9 September 2013
This is a rare CD. Great collection of tracks which are Country artists but have a funky/soulful feel. Highly recommended if you can find it.
on 21 August 2003
Superb compilation of 60s/70s Southern white soul. If you like your soul music oozing like a Memphis swamp this is the album for you. Dig it.
on 26 March 2009
A cracking comp.Worth every penny.but don't be riped off by new/used prices go direct to record company CASUAL for proper pricing like I had to do .It will be worth your while.
on 17 February 2004
I thought I was up on music until my buddy, George Soule', invited me to accompany him to a recording session at Dan Penn's studio in Nashville, Tennessee. I was quickly introduced to Country Got Soul and the British guys who put it together. I met many of the artists and players on Country Got Soul and attended many of the sessions for the yet to be named follow up album. I will keep Country Got Soul in my CD player, while I wait with baited breath for the follow up album and the documentary that is being made on the recording of the follow up.
on 8 October 2003
I read a few positive reviews of this compilation in the UK press and I thought it was worth a punt - I generally enjoy exploring different styles of music including soul and blues.
Unfortunately the wasn't such a great success. An earlier reviewer says "If you like your soul music oozing like a Memphis swamp this is the album for you" and I conclude that I don't go for this stuff much. However if you do like white folks trying to do 60's /70's type soul then it may be your bag !
So I give it 3 stars as I guess it's good in its genre. The first track is one of the best on the CD.
on 25 September 2006
Bought this on the strength of a magazine review and some reviews below. However rather dissapointed, the 'soul' seems rather flat and am afraid i agree with reviewer below on the 'white folks trying to be soulful' kinda statement. Listened twice and sold on. Feels a bit like I bought the emperors new clothes, but hey, each to their own. I have owned alot worse than this!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse