Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 September 2010
Mars Volta seem to yearn for the glory days of prog rock, the closest thing to Deloused in the comatorium is the latter King Crimson albums, but there's a reason why prog died, and it's the same reason why all the hyperbole which greeted this album never translated into popularity.

I listened to this album after one of my friends compared it to Six by Mansun, but where Six had much humour, a sense of englishness and plenty of light and shade to it, this is a totally joyless album which comes across as a composition for a music degree rather than something to be enjoyed. Music for snobs who are trying too hard, perhaps?

There are good moments, but they're fleeting, and on an album which lasts more than an hour, such a huge investment of time should bring more than some very occasional rewards. At least the production is fantastic, every instrument sounds expensive and bell-clear. It's not enough though. Ultimately it doesn't matter how brilliant the musicians are or how many effects pedals the guitarist owns, and when you discount those things there isn't really much left on this album apart from indulgence.
44 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2003
In a year strewn with albums which have failed to live up to the expectancy levels (Kings Of Leon, Grandaddy, AudioBullys) this somewhat surpasses them. Cedric has not changed his voice one bit since his At The Drive In days and to some extent you would not be shocked if the album was another offering from ATDI, until the meandering end to star track Roulette Dares, a track which centres around a fiery chorus (I challenge anyone not to sing-a-long to) and tails off into moody, 70's prog heaven. The album continues in that vein and after all the stops & starts you feel like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards and come out into the sheep fold smiling.
on 20 May 2015
cool
on 9 January 2006
I can only admire the depth and the effort that goes into Mars Volta's music, it is fantastically played and only genuine musicianship can save something so complex from rhythmical collapse.
Personally I feel it lacks a little substance, and others may find it too 'proggy', if you are prone to these issues I wouldn't rush to HMV, if on the other hand you need a bit of intelligent noise this album will suffice.
on 7 December 2004
...and that without a doubt is Discipline by King Crimson.
Unfortunately this just didn't do it for me, I couldn't get over the Ian Anderson type wailing vocal OR the cheap transistorised guitar sound, and the whole thing comes over way too hectic - the sound fx bits are v nice but too few.
And that cover, Jesus.
on 17 December 2003
I bought De-Loused in the Comatorium on the basis of all the accolades and excellent reviews that the album has received, but I was very disappointed when I finally listened to the CD. It is not an easy album to listen to and the tracks are overly complex, unnecessarily intense at times and provides the listener with minimal hooks to engage with the music. I've given 2 stars because there are some flashes of brilliance that if Mars Volta can exploit, they would be a great outfit.
on 14 July 2004
due to my vast musical knowledge and understanding i can comfortably and confidently write a music review of a high standard yet short and sweet, to the point one might put it. Deloused in the comatorium oozes brilliance and is a thick mass of revolving guitar sounds lined with stunning original melodies sang by cedric, who when he isnt on lsd is a noticeable vocalist in the rock world. delouseed is a triumph of modern alternative rock. Thank you and goodbye mc has spoken
on 26 January 2004
Best Album in years? Amazing even? Oh no you're seriously kidding aren't you?...no you're not! I'm sorry to all Mars Volta fans but to me they're...shit! The entire album delivers nothing but boredom, the vocals are too annoying for me (as I'm into old school rock and death-metal) and its hardly enough heavy for me also. I even had the unlucky sitiuation where I even saw them live! I had a friend who'd loved adored them and gave me tickets as a surprise to see them and I had no idea what they sounded like either, but when we got to the concert I was hoping for some ass-ripping metal - shit - was I EVER mistaken, in the end I saw mop-headed skinny twats playing what they thought was good music but bored me shitless. I pretended I liked the show for my friend but to anyone who is new to this band, PLEASE stay clear from this! It is dreadful! Pick up some Sepultura, Pantera, or some early Metallica instead if you're goal is to be a true rocker!
66 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse