Format: DVD|Change

on 10 February 2007
I bought this for (...) and I was excited to watch it as I am a big Van Damme fan, so I put it on last night and I was really disappointed with it. There was two good things going for it - the first being VAN DAMME as the main star and the second being the storyline. Now I know this is straight to DVD but that's no excuse for really bad editing, through the editing DERAILED felt disjointed and the story and action didn't flow very well.

The story is: A train rockets across Eastern Europe. On board are agent Kristoff (Van Damme) and Galina (Laura Elena Harring), a beautiful high - tech thief. Holding the passengers hostage are a band of terrorists who have come to steal the bioweapon hidden on board. With the train out of control and on a collision course for danger. Kristoff becomes a one - man army taking on the terrorists and trying to save the lives of everyone on board.

If the editing was smooth and well handled if would of been good, even the action scenes were bad because the camera was too close to the actors you couldn't see what was happening. I like it when the camera stays in a fixed postion.

The DVD special features arn't that good either, it's just a making of documentary and a couple of trailers for some other films.

All in all not that good and I have the answer to stop the virus - don't watch/rent/buy this film.
on 25 December 2014
A highly predictable action movie that is a dreadful rip off of "Under Siege 2" and the latter wasn't all that good either, at least it had some "credibility" (eg : a good original movie). The lead villain (Tomas Arana : who's totally wasted here, has done far much better in "The Bodyguard" and "The Hunt for Red October"), is almost comical here, as for Van Damme, he must have been threatened with unemployment that he'd agreed to do this laughably bad film - Die Hard it isn't!.

I've had the saving grace of seeing this "movie" on Freeview - along with my comment here - that is enough reason to put my hard earnt cash elsewhere!.
on 1 February 2014
NATO operative Kristoff is summoned into action, to track down Galina Konstantin, who has stolen an extremely dangerous top-secret cargo.

Finding her doesn't take long, and he must wrap up the mission by returning her and the contraband to his superiors by train.

Galina's ill-gotten gain is three vials of SP-43, an ultra-virulent strain of smallpox, that contains several other pathogens.

A group of terrorists, led by Mason Cole, intend to hijack the train and steal the virus for their own ends....

Even though the film is silly and defies belief, it really doesn't deserve the poor rating it holds on here. The effects are bad, and the models look like models, but it's Van Damme, and he always delivers.

It's basically Under Siege 2 with the flu and a very stereotypical cowboy and Brit, but it entertains.

The bad guys are ridiculous, especially Coles lead henchman, who just sneers throughout the film and looks like Seal.

Van Damme himself has been better, but he's been worse, and if you want a typical straight to DVD film with Van damme, you know what to expect.

all in all, not great, but a fun little movie.
on 26 August 2003
To be fare Jean Claude Van Damme is not the best actor in the world but he has made many an enjoyable film over the years. The blame for this disaster must be laid squarely at the feet of the director. From this effort what this guy knows about directing could of been written on the back of a match box. Most of the movie is in darkness making you reach for the remote control and start adjusting the brightness on your TV. In other places the so called sound effects are so load that they over power the dialogue between the actors. The camera is at times so close to the actors during the fight sequences that it is near impossible to see what is going on. If you are looking for a comedy then watch this movie and prepare to laugh at what the director referees to as the latest up to date special effects on a making of featurite. Jean Claude Van Damme was interviewed recently and said how much he hated this movie along with his previous effort The Order. Thats good as I hated it too. Unfortunity he got paid to hate it and I had to pay to hate it.
Van Damme's next, In Hell, should be a return to form directed by the ever reliable Ringo Lam.
on 8 February 2004
I must pay my dues to the first two reviews. If it wasn't for them, I would not have written what you are about to read. Granted, this does not appear to be a place where the film critics mark their territory with their DNA. Nonetheless, these reviews do seem to affect the choices we consumers make when shopping for films.
There is one star in this film and this star is Laura Elena Harring. Let me explain. In nearly all of his films, Jean Claude Van Damme (JC) represents an extreme end of male character, which is relentless, brutal, often desperate and invariably violent. For a film to be ‘edible’ however, that masculinity needs to be balanced by the opposite - the feminine side. Laura accomplishes this task perfectly. She is a strong woman, a fighter (connection with JC), and a very sexy one too (the opposite of JC). Somehow, putting these two actors together instantly created a dynamic balance. This balance could result in anything and therefore was very interesting to watch. In the scene where JC's wife caught him with Laura on the train, JC didn't appear to do much, but Laura played it so beautifully (what a mover she is) - to me, one of best scenes of dramatic irony ever.
The story is very skilfully told. In my opinion, there are no jump shots - action flows from one scene to another. Considering the use of model trains, putting it all together so that is works is a real art.
The fight scenes are amazing. JC simply is superb as is everyone else. JC's real life son stands out as a character in the film and you can see and feel the bond between them.
I rented the DVD from blockbusters, enjoyed watching it, and then went and bought one.
on 19 December 2006
This DVD is DERAILED by Sloppy editing

There is one particular Fight scene which ends Mid fight and all of a sudden one of the Villains's who one second before was in a crowded Compartment fighting with Van Damme and son is transported to a TrainCorridor on his own { 78 mins into the dvd } and he appears to be searching for Van Damme with a Clueless look on his face wondering what he is doing { he is not the only one }

There are other points in the DVD where very bad editing transport characters out of context and I had assumed it was because it was highly censored.

This is always a Bugbear of mine because as I live on my own and I am aged 53 I resent being treated as a Child.I always try to purchase the Uncut version where possbile But in this case I have to hold my hand up and admit I was convinced the British Board of Film Classification was at Fault but was amazed to Discover that DERAILED { certificate 15 } was passed with no cuts being made going by the BBFC Website.

So the sloppy editing has to be blamed on the Editor - How a Studio missed spotting all the jumps in plot line is beyond me.

Either they ran out of Money or the editor fell asleep and missed the edit points.

Perhaps the certificate ' 15 ' was not indicating - ' Suitable only for 15 years and over ' it actually meant the age of the editor.
on 6 January 2011
Not one of JCVDs better films, it was really low budget, the fight scenes were so slow and telegraphed that you could see the bad guys patiently waiting to be kicked. The special effects aren't up to much, the story's okay if a bit unoriginal but then normally you don't mind that with an action film but the action was dull and uninspiring. All in all, I couldn't recommend it anyone, except maybe my dad who's really into his model railways!
on 19 April 2011
I tried to watch this film once before and couldnt manage it. I tried again and fell asleep, significant? perhaps. but when I finally got to the end I was glad because once you get past the dire first 30 mins this film is quite entertaining. the plot you ask? derivative, there were films set on trains before there were films. and this isnt exactly an original spin on the idea either, ( bomb on train blahblah) but its obviously an idea that film producers go back to; see that recent denzel washington movie as the most recent offering. instead of buying this just wait till 'the order' is on channel 5 then tape it on sky plus, otherwise just buy 'timecop', 'double impact' or star wars
on 18 March 2009
I did find myself quite enjoying this movie. The plot which is nothing special keeps the action moving along and despite some dodgy edited in the movie I did actually enjoy it. However there are some truly quite awful 'special effects' which really do overshadow what was an entertaining, trashy acioner. The scenes with JCVD running about on top of the train are some of the worst green screen shots I've seen, looking as if they spent about 2p on them. There's also some horrendous CGI helicopters and the scenes of the 'model' trains look exactly that, models. Its like watching an original episode of Thunderbirds. A shame as if it wasn't for these effects I would probably remember the film quite fondly instead of seeing it as a bit of a joke.
on 1 April 2015
Actually this film was dreadful!!!!!! No stars. Acting was wooden and plot was weak. Altogether rubbish and I didn't watch it all. I would rather boil beetroots.