Customer reviews

on 27 April 2017
on 23 April 2004
A friend once told me that if God existed and had a voice, this is what itwould sound like. Nina Simone has an androgynous, omnipotent sound. Iwould argue that her voice is untouched by ideology - by notions of class,race, and gender - but it's not really true. She's obviously aworking-class African-American woman with important messages, but I liketo think of her as a kind of 'everyman'. My only problem with this albumis that it doesn't feature '(I wish I knew how it would feel to be) Free,'(featured in Film 2004 and that vile Coca-cola ad) but so what - just buyanother album that does. Hell, buy them all. However, the album does havea satisfying 'Civil Rights Movement' edge to it. I had to buy two albumsin order to get all the songs I wanted, but it's worth it.
'See-line Woman,' 'The Other Woman,' 'Please Don't Let Me Misunderstood,'and 'My Baby Just Cares for Me,' were songs that I found really comfortingon a personal level, but this is far from a 'chick album'. The songs inhere can cure all ills for everyone - they're nice for playing whileyou're in the bath, or when you're stressed, tired or upset aboutsomething. Despite this, it's also a very sexy album ('Gimme Some' cameas quite a suprise, even by today's standards!).
My boyfriend hates Jazz, and much prefers the tortured male vocals ofbands like Nirvana, Chilli Peppers, Metallica, and Muse - but even hecan't resist Nina's beautiful, ballsy, honeyed tones. The songs arecheerful, moody, comforting, sexy as hell, inspirational, empowering, andcool. It's full of songs you'll have heard and liked without ever knowingthe artist and title. It's worth at least three times the selling price -so do yourself a favour and buy it.
on 28 July 2003
When I first bought this CD I was not very familiar with the work of Nina Simone and so bought it as something of a 'taster'. After listening to it only once I begame a huge nina fan! There is such a broad range of work present on this CD, from tunes that most people would recognise such as the stirring and uplifting 'Feeling Good', the smooth jazz classic 'My Baby Just Cares for Me' to the dark and haunting 'I Put a Spell on You', which sends shivers down your spine, to a range of others which showcase Nina's unique and passionate voice. I know it sounds unlikely but there in not, in my opinion, a bad song on this CD. There is music to suit every emotion, from upbeat jazzy numbers such as 'I'm Gonna Leave you' to slow, brooding songs such as 'Don't Smoke in Bed'. Present throughout in Nina's amazingly emotional and personal sound which is evident on all the tracks-you really do feel as if she means every word that she is singing and she makes you feel it as well. This is especially evident in songs such as 'Mississippi Goddam' and the painfully emotional 'Strange Fruit' which show Nina singing from the heart about issues of racisim and black prejudice. As well as her special voice, her piano playing is also wonderful to listen to-the piano solo in 'My Bbaby Just Cares for Me' being a persoanl favourite. It is quite difficult to classify her style as this CD encompases jazz, soul, folk, gospel and more, often all merged in together-so it really is a CD for anyone with an appreciation of real musical genius who wants to discover the music of a legendary woman.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 September 2003
As a tribute this collection achieves its aim as a celebration the artistic life of the late singer. A fierce defender of her corner, Nina refused to ever settle for easy options and as an icon for many upcoming performers as well as the Civil Rights movement her intense interpretations of material combined a fusion of blues, gospel, soul, jazz, folk and pop. Certainly all these elements are well-defined in this compilation with the original 1957 version of MY BABY JUST CARES FOR ME, a fast-moving MOOD INDIGO and relevant yet individual interpretations of LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME and THIS YEAR’S KISSES. The inclusion of NE ME QUITTE PAS (IF YOU GO AWAY), MISSISSIPPI GODDAM, I PUT A SPELL ON YOU and I’M GONNA LEAVE YOU are enough to send shivers up the spine, whilst DON’T LET ME BE MISUNDERSTOOD and I PUT A SPELL ON YOU put previous versions in the shade. There is no denying the power and passion contained within Nina’s raw uncompromising possession of each song such as the beautiful simplicity of BLACK IS THE COLOUR OF MY TRUE LOVE’S HAIR, the implied anger of STRANGE FRUIT and the mystical quality of WILD IS THE WIND. If you want just one collection by Nina, this just has to be the one!
on 12 August 2007
This two disk collection contains almost all of the most recognizable NS songs in very good value package.

There are all sorts of Nina Simone collections and it's possible to buy many of the artists original albums transferred to CD - to be honest I wouldn't know where to start and this seemed like as good a place as any. Bit of an impulse buy - but I'm not sorry. An enjoyable mix of songs, strong performances. A great singer, a great collection. Bargain.
on 20 August 2008
This is a great bargain for a Nina Simone CD with a good collection of jazzl/blue soul tracks.

I would recommend this album to everyone, music fans as well as those who want to introduce themselves to Nina Simone's songs.
on 3 November 2005
This is a wonderful sentimental album, that brings back many memories and which includes many of my personal favourites such as "Wild is the Wind", Ï put a Spell on You", Black is the Colour", Ï love your lovin'ways", "Ne me quitte pas","The other Woman", "What more can I say?" and many more - a total of 38 tracks on 2 CD's. A must-have collection that I am now getting for my sister for Christmas.
on 30 July 2003
This is such a marvellous and beautiful collection
Nina (as I now like to call her) has a golden silk of a voice, which changes with a change in the content of the song, i.e. how she feels, and of course, how we - the doting listener - feels.
I enjoy the first CD more; its a little more upbeat but I think the second CD just takes a little bit more listening to. Saying this however, I am referring to 100% concentration listening. The whole thing is perfect as music to have on in the background, when travelling, at work, etc
Nina Simone is the perfect Bond film singer, the perfect performer, (as demonstrated in the couple of live tracks on the CD) just complete gold.
Buy this whatever your taste, old rock, new rock, soft pop, cheesy pop, hip hop, indie.. You get the idea. I am so impressed with this collection. It tinkles my world.
on 10 March 2015
Oh, the fantabulous Nina Simone. What can I say - this woman was an amazing singer, pianist and writer. This is a really good collection, including her more famous hits (Feeling Good), and some really emotive lesser-known ones too.
on 26 July 2015
Although I wasn't too familiar with Nina Simone's music I am very happy with this compilation.