Size: 52 mm|Change

on 25 December 2010
I've bought a few of these in various sizes (although none from Amazon - nothing against Amazon, their price is keen, I just happened to buy them somewhere else).

The main reason I get UV filters is as lens protectors. The main reason I buy these Hoya HMC ones is that they introduce relatively little glare and distortion. I haven't been tempted by the more expensive "pro" ones, although they're lower-profile, which can't be bad (but they're quite a lot pricier).

Despite the assurances of certain reviewers, and many high-street retailers, these genuinely are very much better than the usual kind of cheap filters which retailers often try to tell you are "the same". In particular, the amount of light reflected by the Hoya HMC coating is negligible compared with a typical store's-own-brand. (There might be exceptions, but I've yet to see one.) To compare quickly in a shop, hold each flat in front of you and tilt it around looking for reflections of lights etc. An effect like a mirror isn't good. With these Hoya HMC ones, you'll see only dim green images of bright lights.

These are by no means the only decent filter on the market, but they're much better than most, by an obvious margin. They're really not that expensive when you consider that they're likely to be influencing every shot you take with a lens you probably paid a small fortune for. Optically, the best filter is none at all, but lenses are rather expensive to replace.
VINE VOICEon 27 August 2009
This Hoya filter absorbs ultraviolet rays without effecting visible light balance. UV light causes hazing and a blue hue in outdoor photographs. The filter can also be used as a permanent lens protector for the outer part of the lens . It fits very well .
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 October 2011
Bought two of these for my Sony NEX-5 kit lenses and they seem to have no negative effect on image quality, don't cause any vignetting or flare and give me peace of mind that my lenses are protected. A solid thumbs up from me.
on 29 July 2009
I have chosen this product because Hoya is one of the reliable optical instrument company and I didn't want to lose my money and time buying cheap one and failed. The quality is very satisfactory and I'll choose Hoya's filter when I buy another lens.
on 13 July 2011
I'm no professional photographer but -

The quality of this filter seems great for the price, I did not see any difference in image quality or any colouring of the pictures. I even did a test of the same shot (on a tripod) with and without the filter and they were (for all I could tell visually) exactly the same. For a beginner to photography I would recommend this highly, save the money of a higher filter and but some other gear with it to get you started!

The screw fitting could be a bit higher quality, it feels a bit rough screwing it in, but it works and has been on and off several times with no problem.
on 1 November 2011
Excellent price for a quality filter. Purchased the filter to protect the front lens element. The filter does not degrade the image quality.
on 2 May 2012
The filter fell out of the filter ring that screws onto the lens of my 5D Mark II. I was extremely annoyed and contacted CameraKing immediately. They instructed me to return the item [including relevant documentation, which I did], and that they would refund the item price along with the return postage cost. However, instead of receiving a full refund amount I only received a refund of £1.35!!!! I contacted CameraKing and Amazon immediately. No response from CameraKing at all.

Do not purchase anything from this amazon seller.
on 30 May 2012
I don't know why people keep saying that they buy these because it is cheaper to replace the filter than the lens itself if they break it. Yes this product will give your front element an extra line of defence, but that's not the reason to buy it.

The filter will take a knock and break before your lens does. But you should have one even if you are not clumsy. This is a great price for a multi-coated filter that works and will make a difference to your photos. The orange haze of sodium lights over a city at night is removed, daylight haze on the coast etc. The difference between having this filter and not having it is profound in some situations and you should have one not because it protects your lens but because it makes your photos better.

Since buying the 77mm I have bought 72mm, 58mm and 52mm. Avoid the cheaper ones as they leave green reflections on your photos in low light, the Hoya HMC is the best value UV filter that does the job properly.

My only question to myself is why don't they already come fitted to a $1000 lens?
on 21 August 2012
This filter blocks the Ultra Violet light that can make subjects look unnaturally blue, such as mountains that are several miles away and are exposed to a lot of UV between the camera and subject. I bought this filter for my new Panasonic HC-X900 video camera. In addition to blocking the UV (tested two weeks ago in Switzerland) it also provides complete protection to the lens from dust and small water droplets and also protects the mechanical lens cover from damage. No noticeable drop in vision quality. Good value for money and well recommended.
on 26 February 2017
Bought to replace the exact same item that was purchased just 14 months ago. The original filter had started to delaminate on the lens and therefore could no longer be used

So not that impressed with the build quality . But with their pedegree and at the price I am prepared to give then one more chance.