TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 May 2012
The Money Pit is directed by Richard Benjamin and written by David Giler. It stars Tom Hanks, Shelley Long, Alexander Godunov and Maureen Stapleton. Music is by Michael Colombier and cinematography by Gordon Willis. Plot finds Hanks and Long as a young couple who buy what they think is their dream house, only to find the house falling apart around them.

Mozart is dead, his troubles are over.

He went on to be a big mover in the acting world did Tom Hanks, so much so it's always a little weird revisiting his comedy output in the 1980s because he's a vastly different actor. Yet for many of us, that decade holds many treasures, where nostalgic fever takes a hold and a warm glow does come with watching the young Hanks bound about with comedic glee. The Money Pit doesn't have the cult worship of Splash or the internet respect of Big, yet it's a wonderfully funny picture that finds Hanks on optimum energised form. The plot might be thin and Long kind of gets pushed to one side, but this has much to enjoy with a bottle of vino and snacks. That is, of course, if you don't mind laughing at the misfortune of new home owners?!

I am sinking fast into the money pit.

A number of sequences are pure farce, but in the good way, stairs collapse, as does the chimney, doors, floors and a leaking roof bring the mirth, as does a laugh out loud bath moment. It sounds a little chaotic, and it is at times, but the screenplay allows Hanks & Long, and the wonderful Godunov, time to breath life into the characters. There's a lovely romance at the core of the story, one that inevitably will be tested by the chaos of the house renovations and Godunov's third party ex. They are a very likable couple and easy to root for. Helps that Hanks is full of effervescent boyishness and Long is so pretty, the latter of which I don't think has ever looked better than during a red dress sequence here.

If the foundation is OK? Then everything else can be fixed.

It doesn't have any surprises in store, it goes exactly where you expect it too, which naturally renders the final third as being all about the sentiment and the message. With the comedy gone, picture struggles a touch to put the final coat of paint on the project. But it's nicely underplayed by the actors and really this is about love triumphant against adversity. With the laughs that came previously more than making this a blues lifter for the nostalgic amongst us. 7.5/10
on 13 January 2015
Haha i love this film!

I never know whether to review the condition of the product e.g. price, quality, time to arrive etc or the actual film itself

The film came on time, good price, good quality etc...i would buy from this seller again

The film (in my opinion) is hilarious, it is not particularly violent (more slapstick comedy) and the 'sexual' scenes are not explicit so i don't know wnhy this film is classed as a 15, i would say it is more of a '12'
on 24 July 2014
I bought this as a joke gift for my husband. We're currently renovating our new house, literally back to just the outside walls and so can TOTALLY appreciate what Tom Hanks and Shelley Long's characters are going through. (Though they have builders and we're doing it ourselves...I'm not bitter!). The film is really funny and easy to watch. I love early Tom Hanks (before he started punching above his weight) and this is along the lines of other early films like Big and The Man with One Red Shoe. It's just a great 80's comedy, what's not to like?
on 8 September 2017
Watched this film years ago, so when I spotted the dvd for sale I thought it would be nice to see the film again. I wasn't disappointed, it was just as good as the first time I watched it. Hilarious film, good pick me up on a bad day!
on 27 October 2017
Great movie. Had to add it to our collection.
on 10 November 2017
Hysterically funny film. Don't miss it
on 10 April 2011
I can't say how many times I have watched this film because I have lost count. When I saw that it was available on DVD I had to have it! Despite having watched it countless times, I still laugh and laugh and laugh. I think Tom Hanks was the perfect choice of actor because he is naturally funny, just a look on his face is enough to crown the perfect funny scene. I always thought the ending was perfect prep for a Money Pit 2 and I'm still waiting in hope that one day it will happen.... but after all these years it probably wont happen sadly.
on 16 January 2018
This is a great funny film, it's not often I have a stomach ache through laughing. too much. but this film was hilarious.yz
on 2 July 2017
So funny, no matter how many times you watch it!
on 20 June 2009
This must be the funniest film ever made in my opinion.- A young couple Tom Hanks and Shelley Long are very much in love with each other and want to buy the home of their dreams. They finally find a large house going cheap and move in; but it's not long before one hilarious disaster after another happens. The house is falling apart along with their bank account and they get deeper and deeper into debt and their relationship starts to fall apart. It is a great film and well worth watching.