Customer reviews

on 11 May 2004
When I first heard about this DVD, I was a little concerned: I imagined a few poorly-recorded tracks from the Summer 2002 session in Cornwall's infamous Eden Project. In fact the only reason I'd bothered to look it up is because I missed out on tickets for the gig by maybe a minute or two!
Reading the content list, however, I became more and more convinced that I should own the DVD. And now that I do, I am very impressed! Why? Well, this is what you get...
* A very well recorded concert in the subtropical setting of the Eden Project, featuring several classic Doves hits, and their old hit 'Spaceface' from the Sub Sub days...
* A collection of Doves singles complete with videos, which can be played separately or as a single marathon music-a-gram!
* Various interesting documentaries on the band
* A bizarre, almost cult-movie style video of about 5 minutes, "A Very Peak Practice", which involves a milk float, moorland, and one moody soundtrack...
* Assorted photographs of the band
* A wonderful, fully-interactive menu system
* And beautifully-styled artwork!
Even if you're merely a passing fan of Doves, you'll be wanting this DVD. If like me you're captivated by the Manchester trio, you'll be skipping this conclusion and ordering straight away.
It truly is the best music DVD I've ever seen!
5/5, without a doubt!
on 13 October 2003
For any fans of the Manchester band 'doves' this is a mouth watering package, combining all the videos to date from the albums 'lost souls' and 'the last broadcast' with footage from the eden project concerts, and a number of hidden extras including some cool documentaries.
The attention to detail throughout the whole package is impressive.There is a dark and brooding city scape feel through out, and interactive menus that constantly move to ambient noise, creating a real sense of exploring the actual pysche of the band. The honesty of the band comes across in the way in which they allow access to unfinished demos and even include a documentary into their houses over Christmas. Seeing Andy visiting the bottle bank and hoovering the house, and Jimi driving round Manchester looking like a cabbie, makes you realise that these are just a bunch of ordinary guys making extraordinary music.
Overall a brilliant experience (including a rare performance of Spaceface live at Eden being truly the highlight of the live stuff) marred somewhat by my inability to access the hidden sections of the DVD - namely the SUB SUB videos and documentary. For the breadth of stuff they have included you cannot get a better Rock DVD on the market for your money.
on 30 July 2004
To put it simply, this DVD is absolutely amazing. You have the choice of watching the music videos, or the hairs on the back of the neck-raising live concert from the out-of-this-world Eden Project. On top of this is the very good, but bizarre promo film, "A Very Peak Practice" - it has to be seen to be believed. This is astounding for fans and non-fans alike.
on 6 November 2003
This is simply the best DVD release of any band that I've seen. Granted, I love Doves, so I suppose I'm biased, but this set is really astonishing. From the 360 degree interactive menus to the graphics, it's breathtaking to look at, and a true standard bearer for the future. Even better, this is a truly COMPLETE document of the band up to this year, including the most recent videos, a documentary, and their performance at the Eden Project. I'm still having a very difficult time with the hidden menus, but that's (very) minor quibbling. This is a real treasure from a fantastic band.
on 21 July 2004
I bought this dvd and I cannot stop watching it since. There are loads of matrial in this dvd. The live in Edan section is amazing and so are there documenteries. The music is great very comparible with the stills, stilair, trevis and coldplay. I would recomand this dvd.
on 25 February 2007
As music DVD's go this is probably the best one I own even six years after it's release. I was lucky enough to actually be at the Eden show and it was a magical experience. Unfortunately the atmosphere doesn't really transfer here. They had stilt walkers and weird birds flying about which the viewer doesn't see. I strongly advise people to go down to Cornwall and get totally lost in the splendour!

The one major gripe I have is that the set that night was twice as long as the set on here. They have omitted nearly half of the songs which seems a bit mad to me. Still...enjoy.
on 29 December 2013
If you are a fan of Doves this is an essential purchase. The live set is relatively short at just under 50 minutes but it packs in all the atmosphere from the Eden Sessions performance. Stand out tracks are N.Y and There Goes The Fear for me, although its nice to hear Spaceface performed live for the sheer nostalgia value. I recommend buying this along with the import CD of Doves : Live At Eden, which has is a nice companion piece for the DVD.

Watch out for the link to the hidden Sub Sub Documentary at about 42 minutes in during the concert footage its well worth watching and a fun inclusion into the package.

All in all its a five star purchase which you're sure to enjoy even if you only have a passing interest in the awesome band that is Doves.
on 24 November 2006
Perfect mix of the videos of the numerous singles Doves released from the two albums 'Lost Souls' and 'The Last Broadcast', plus too many extras to list here.

Also features highlights of their performance at the Eden Sessions, which captures the live magnificence of Doves that the studio sterility can negate.

Check out the pre-history of Doves from the 'extras', and enough biography to get a feel for the personalties behind the music.
on 24 November 2013
The you will love this ....put it on my wish list but the wife didn't take the hint, so I bought it for myself for my birthday - best present that I got!