on 31 December 2017
Viewed as a stand-alone thriller, this kept me enthralled all the way through. The body count at one point became bizarrely comical, and I was rooting for both leads (John Malkovich and Dougray Scott). Ray Winstone played Ray Winstone but none the worse for that.

However, in my mind I was going back to The Talented Mr Ripley and thinking of how Matt Damon played him. From reading Patricia Highsmith's novels, Matt Damon's portrayal was more accurate of the central character (though when I first saw that film I didn't like him playing the role, but 'got' it on a second viewing) - I desperately wanted Mr Ripley in The Talented Mr Ripley to get his comeuppance, but in Ripley's Game, I desperately DIDN'T want Mr Ripley to get HIS! This can only have been altered with the screenplay. Malkovich was so watchable and the character was more sympathetic than previously.
Ripley's Game was more of an action thriller rather than a study of a 'psychological mess' as in The Talented Mr Ripley. Which do I prefer? I really don't know. I enjoyed both. I would recommend both
8 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2018
What a big surprise this film is simply OUTSTANDING:...John Malkovich acting is superb and the rest of the cast give a very good performance...Ray Winston was his normal average self...The directorship and script/storyline are 1st class... this a very enjoyable film to watch but the ending could have been a little more imaginative... given that I would highly recommend this movie...Do not miss.
4 people found this helpful
on 15 December 2017
Really did not know what to expect from the film when I started to watch it, but I have to say that apart from the strange ending I gave this a 4/5. The acting from John Malkovich was fantastic and I thought Ray Winston was his usual standard for the type of character he played and Dougray Scott was pretty good as well.
on 23 December 2017
A good sequel, with John Malkovich doing what he does best as the villain, he plays an older Ripley, also features Ray Winstone and Dougray Scott who do a decent job. You get to see more of Italy, but this time the beautiful North.
on 6 September 2008
Odd, off the wall type thriller giving the character of Tom Ripley a much darker makeover than was the case in The Talented Mr Ripley. A darker story too, and one handled well by the director here. Keeping things contained and concerned only with the main plot and its surprises, we see a completely innocent 'victim' of the stone cold Ripley become a darkly competent and enthusiastic contract killer. Scott delivers this effect well, and Winstone jabs in his usual spike of menace as the dodgy small time crimelord who dares to mix with the likes of criminal mastermind, Mr Ripley.

Malkovich is breathtakingly comfortable in the role as art loving, sophisticated master fraudster and killer, Tom Ripley, and makes the movie a joy to watch. One or two scenes are incredibly darkly comic, almost Macabre, as an ice cool, laid back Mr ripley takes on his duties as cold blooded murderer just as casually as a janitor would hoover the hallway and turn off the lights. It makes the movie a memorable one, and I do not care one jot myself, how this hangs with the more celebrated Minghella made movie, or even how well it reflects the books, as this neat and original little thriller is a quiet little cracker of a film, one that gets better with each viewing too. I prefer it to the more famous film and I think it is one of the very best movies of the noughties so far.
7 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 23 December 2017
Highsmith never disappoints and the trio of Malkovich, Winstone and Scott are perfectly cast. Gripping stuff.
on 6 February 2013
I didn't realize that l had seen this movie, when l ordered it. I must have seen it soon after was released, ten years ago. Then as now l would have viewed it because it's a Patricia Highsmith adaptation. I seem to remember being disappointed with "Ripley's Games", because l thought that l was going to see a sequel to the "Talented Mr Ripley ".
In a sense it is sequel, the plot and the character have moved on and so have l. My partner and l viewed both films over the Xmas holiday and both films had a greater impact than l anticipated they would.
I haven't read book of "Games ", yet, but as with the "Talented" the movies inject a moral dimension , which is in many ways more anarchistic and morally relativist than the books. Ripley is not just an arty psychopath, but a catalyst who provides a disturbing mirror in which our values and perceptions are reflected .As he kills his way through the plot.. It's beautifully shot , constructed and dressed , In some ways it's not a sequel, It's a kind of stand alone to "talented", even though it's made afterwards, and uses Highsmith's characters. But with in both films the directorial influence and the balance of the screenplay produces both a reflective and different take on Highsmith's Ripley. When l first saw it . I wasn't impressed . This time l was, and l can recommend it. Enjoy
on 8 December 2017
John Malkovich at his very best.
on 14 September 2010
In this, his second screen outing, Ripley is played with aplomb by the charmingly sinister John Malkovich with strong support from Messrs Winston and Scott. Ripley is a completely different animal to his previous incarnation in "The talented Mr. Ripley", but then again he would be this being 40 years on. Gone are the homo-erotic tendencies replaced by a character who has grown into his own skin and who has reconciled himself to his true nature.

So what we have is a great leading man playing a great character with a strong supporting cast enacting a compelling story set in some very pleasant locations. What's not to like?
on 16 December 2014
Really good film ... I have read nearly all of the Patricia Highsmith books in the Ripley series. This film lives up to the book but I dont think they should have pretended one of the major characters was killed when he wasnt in the book.