Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 October 2015
The Police's 3rd studio release is often cited as the band's least interesting album although, in reality, it is still decent enough in my view and forms an important bridge between two highly acclaimed LPs, namely 1979's 'Regatta De Blanc' and 1981's 'Ghost In The Machine. The superb 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' is a strong opener and 'Driven To Tears' keeps the momentum going very nicely; to be honest, there's nothing too much to quibble about regarding the running order given that most of the tracks are short and sweet ('Canary In A Coalmine', 'Bombs Away', 'Behind My Camel') with the exception of the ponderous 'Shadows In The Rain' which, at over 5 minutes, is an exception. An enjoyable album which is worth picking up at a friendly price.
on 23 August 2017
I remember it better than I like it now. Or I'm just not in the mood for listening.

Police albums all seem to have a couple of good tracks, one good instrumental, and the remaining tracks are off-key bleak. I Just couldn't shell out for Outlandos D'Amoir, for So Lonely and one other track, like maybe Born in the Fifties.

I ended up choosing to buy Reggatta and Zenyatta. However I re-noticed the lyric on the Raggatta track On any other Day, which seems homophobic. The song is about bad things happening, that apparently on any other day could be coped with.

However these are some of the lyrics:
My wife has burned the scrambled eggs
The dog just bit my leg
My teenage daughter ran away
My fine young son has turned out gay

I am not sure what The Police mean by the last line. It appears homophobic. However you have to think what was happening in 1980. In many cases the prospect of someone declaring homosexuality was a thing of fear. Some celebrities were paving the way to tolerance.

Anyway just for the record so to speak, I am not homosexual. I am opposed vehemently to any victimisation of it though. However while I think the possibility is that this line of lyrics is not meant as offensive. I really don't intend much to listen to my two new Police albums much at all. Partly due to my being unclear about this lyric, and partly because the albums are only OK.
on 16 November 2011
Possibly the least best of all of their excellent albums but still a lot of good stuff to enjoy. Coming after the first 2 classic albums this feels like something of a disappointing record and was really the beginning of the band becoming a more thoughtful concern and slowing down the tempo. But even the change of musical direction couldn't stunt the creativity and musical excellence that existed within.

Tracks like the well-known 'Don't Stand So Close to Me' and 'De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da' do their jobs memorably insomuch as they are still played on the radio across the world today. But some of the least known songs are also note-worthy. The frenetic 'Canary in a Coalmine' and the ironically jolly 'Bombs Away' are The Police doing what they do best: writing songs of protest and social criticism and the dark recesses of the human psyche to a catchy beat. They would come full circle a few years later with the unbeatable 'Every Breath You Take' but they were already masters of satire even by this stage.

The other tracks that work are 'Driven to Tears' and 'When the World is Running Down...' . 'Driven...' is a subtle song with a lacklustre feel but a killer tune that only becomes apparent after a few listens. 'When the world...' is cheerier and more purposeful but they are still both very different from any track from the first 2 albums.

'Voices inside my Head' and 'Behind My Camel' are almost instrumentals that serve no great purpose. There is nothing particularly wrong with them but compared to 'Regatta de Blanc' their inferior nature is brought to the surface. And the last 3 tracks are relatively hard to like too. The best of these is 'Man in a Suitcase' which is akin to 'Canary...' but not as catchy. 'Shadows in the Rain' is simply too long and too boring. Not much happens and it is too slow to be interesting. 'The Other Way of Stopping' is a full instrumental that relies on a single riff that is ok but not outstanding.

Half is great to world-beating. Half is pretty forgettable. This would continue with Ghost in the Machine but the songwriting seemed tighter there and the songs are slightly better (the first 3 being unbeatable).

If you are new to the band start with Regatta de Blanc. But once you start to like the band, even this will be hard to resist.
on 14 September 2016
I recently replaced my vinyl copy of this, and other Police albums, with CDs. It's just like a trip back in time. I spent the day playing each album, going "Oh yes, this is my favourite track", "Oh, no, *this* is my favourite...."

Sounds just as fresh as when I first heard it.
on 26 April 2017
Sounds fresh again. A rush job but with good tunes. I got it for When the World is Running Down. Seemed apt
on 19 February 2014
I BOUGHT THIS ALBUM ON CD A FEW YEARS AGO AFTER PREVIOUSLY OWING IT ON VINYL BACKI IN1980 WHEN I WAS VERY YOUNG AND HAS BEEN WELL PLAYED SINCE 1980 SINCE I BOUGHT IT, I ALWAYS FOUND THIS ALBUM VERY PUNCHY AT TIMES BUT DON'T LIKE ALL THE TRACKS ON THIS CD, BUT NEVERLESS AS A 'DIE HARD' POLICE/STING FAN I HAD TO GET THE CD !!!!!!
on 5 June 2017
Wonderful vinyl, good sound,
on 27 April 2017
What can i say apart from love music
on 8 June 2017
Fantastic! Thank you :0)
on 17 February 2015
Great album by a brilliant band at the top of their game..great price for this remastered cd..some brilliant guitar work by Andy Summers, this underrated guitarist has a sound all of his own ..sting is great songwriter and with a world class drimmer in stewart copeland they had winning formula. .