on 2 June 2006
Although none of my sandwiches have ever escaped i decided to give this product a chance, and i was pleasantly surprised by how effective it is. If you already have a half decent way of making a toasted sandwiches then its not really necessary- but if you have a dualit toaster and want to get maximum use out of it then this is a nice addition.

i would have two slight gripes- one, its a bit pricey, although in fairness it looks quite sturdy. secondly, unless you have a single slice cooking option you are basically going to need two of these things as the toaster should not be used with an empty slot. Another good reason for needing two of them is that one toastie is never enough, and it is a torturous wait for that second sandwich if you only have one cage.
I bought four of these as I thought it made good sense to make four toasted sandwiches in one go. I found the product rather disappointing and have ended up with four bulky cages in the kitchen drawer that have not been used now for a few years.

The cage itself holds the sandwich very securely, but that is about the only positive comment I can make about it. The toaster slots are not really wide enough to allow you to make a decent toasted sandwich, even if you use the thinnest sliced bread on the market and are really mean with the amount of filling you put in. I found that all but one of the sandwiches I made snagged as the cage was either inserted into the toaster or as they came out, so sandwich presentation was not great (and I did put the butter on the outside of the bread, as recommended). The snagging also meant that ingredients ended up getting stuck inside the toaster and were difficult to remove.

If you do decide to give the cage a go, I would suggest you buy just one rather than make the same mistake as me.

I subsequently bought the "Diablo" Toasted Snack Maker and have found this is much better (more room for fillings), although it does waste some bread. But I would personally recommend this as a much better alternative to the Dualit cage.
on 20 November 2015
For some strange reason I thought it would be wise to spend over a hundred quid on a toaster, thinking that hundred quid toast would somehow be better (I can confirm that it's no different). Getting swept up in the moment I also decided to splash out on the optional Sandwich Cage and a mere fifteen quid. I don't eat many toasted sandwiches so not really sure what drove me to it but we are where we are.

Anyway, I had this notion of creating some kind of Scooby Doo type sandwich and then popping it in the cage and then in the toaster but it was not to be, once you've got your bread and a couple of thin pieces of cheese in the cage then theres barely room to actually get it into the toaster.

The thin toasted sandwich that I did manage to get out was nice but just not what i'd imagined.
Now before you go and buy one of these for your toaster, just make sure you get the right one.

This 'Vario' one is what I am using in my Dualit 4 slice toaster, Model Number D4BMH GB this is the one which has a switch rather than the knob for changing your toaster from two to four slices. This is not a new gen one.

I purchased mine from a high street retailer as they were doing a price match and the staff explained the difference in the toasters and why I needed this particular Vario one. Otherwise an expensive mistake if you then have to send it back etc.

I toasted some scotch pancakes in my toaster without using one of these cages and ended up with burnt/stuck pancakes on the wires, not a nice smell when burnt, plus a mess to try to clear off.

Had to have one of these not just for toasted sandwiches (as even using one of these cages it still doesn't stop the filling from slightly oozing out). Also do you really want the aroma of onions (if doing a cheese and onion toastie) on your next slice of toast?

A good item, but when you consider the price of the toaster you might have thought that it could have been included in with it.

It makes easier work of lifting out your crumpets/pancakes or muffins, no burnt fingers or stuck bread items.

It does say that it is not dishwasher proof, which is a shame really, but think that could be because of the plastic handles.

As pointed out by my husband though (do we need two? for when doing crumpets for the family, as you can only do one at a time. So when one is eating their crumpet or whatever the other one is then toasting so you can't both sit down and eat together (alright it toasts quickly but another might have to be bought).
on 14 January 2009
I bought a twin pack of these for my Dualit toaster.

I had bought the toaster about 5 years ago, and being a quality product, it has lasted really well.

It turns out however that it is an old model, and although it looks exactly the same, the slots are too small for these cages.

One to watch out for!
on 17 December 2011
recently bought a Dualit toaster after debating about it for over a decade.
Great buy, absolutely wonderful - the toaster equivalent of an AGA, perfect finish, fantastic, wish we hadn't wasted our money on the last generation of toaster we had and just went for this one.

Fancied the odd toasted sandwich, done nicely, so bought the sandwich cage.
Not such a great experience. If you're on a diet and using thin bread - go ahead, it'll produce great toasted sandwiches.
If you want to use thick bread - forget it, there isn't enough space.
If you want to use medium bread, and are happy with minimal filling, providing you're careful you may just about get away with it.

Bottom line is there just isn't enough space in the toaster slot for the cage and anything but thin sliced bread and minimal filling - talking about the traditional Dualit toaster here, but I suspect the lesser models have the same problem.

Pity, but there you are - back to the standalone toasted sandwich maker then - they don't look as nice, but they stay together and don't make a mess of anything.
on 26 June 2014
Bought this for the occasional sandwich toasting for my dualit toaster.

I've tried using this with both Hovis & Warburtons loaves both using medium sliced bread as per the instructions. Unfortunately these loaves seem to be too big and barely fit with in the cage without filing.. as soon as you include a small amount of filing you get a cheese grater effect on your bread as it pushes through the cage. In the end it makes a complete mess of the toaster.

The only way I found to make successful toasted sandwiches is to buy "thin" bread which is next to useless as normal toast..!

Figure this will item will be useful for hot cross buns but that's about it..If you want to make toasted sandwiches, buy a proper sandwich maker!
on 11 March 2014
OK I understand that Dualit toasters are expensive because they're, stylish, solidly made and have a reputation for lasting a long time. Not sure you can say that about these. They're OK. They work. But I think they're taking maximum advantage of the fact that if you've bought their toaster you'll probably need these too.
on 4 April 2014
I've always avoided toasting teacakes and thick bread in my Dualit toaster as they get suck and the pop up mechanism can leave smaller items out of reach. This has solved the issue and I might even try it to toast a sandwich at some point.
on 27 August 2012
The limited width of the Dualit toaster slot combined with this further limits the thickness of your sandwich. It just about fits two pieces of thin sliced bread with a single slice of ham and a thin slice of cheese and only then if you squash the sandwich by hand before you butter the outside and put it in the cage. If the sandwich is too thick it pushes between the cage bars and tears when you extract it from the toaster. I guess I just hoped for a bit more.