Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 18 August 2013
This film is so old, but I went back to it, and I'm so glad I did!
Perhaps the silliest of the Spielberg films, I mean who could possibly think of miniature space ships coming down and doing a quick mend job on a condemned building imminently due for demolition, and making the developers run for their lives. Well Spielberg could, did, and in his own inimitable style made a successof it
It has a similar feel good factor to that of ET, although it's not as in depth as that movie. The acting of the two principle stars, who are a husband and wife team anyway, is very touching. There is an undercurrent of sadness in the plot, the mental condition of the ex boxer, the poverty of those on the fringe of criminality, the future of those giving birth without the benefit of a stable partnership, and the problems of the husband and wife who together were fighting dementia, tradgedy and violence, is not occluded by the zinginess or silliness of the plot.
The circumstances of these poor folk living on the edge is impossible to ignore. This is a children's film for adults, and will hopefully open all our eyes to the human condition.
It is a partnership of the ridiculously funny and stark hopelessness of those with so little it makes one cry! Spielberg also treats his characters with the utmost respect, and care, There is never any patronisation.
How on earth was it such a success, I think it's because we all love to think that a miracle may occurr, and I'm quite sure that sometimes it does. This has been Spielberg's theme throughout his movies, from ET to Schindler's List. He has sold us hope in huge dollops!
More power to his elbow!
on 13 April 2017
Saw the film on TV. Great little story. We loved it. I'm not really into that kind of movie, but I loved every minute of it. So much so that I have bought it for my grand-daughters who are 15 and 13.
I thought the special effects were wonderful.
Would recommend.
on 2 July 2016
I bought this movie and watched it with the family as they had previously seen it on VHS years ago and were excited to see you could buy it on DVD. Even though it is a retro throwback of a movie, with less than perfect graphics it has a great plot to it and was enjoyed by the whole family.
on 17 March 2017
another good film to watch time and time again
on 29 January 2017
Another "classic" which is again like I remembered. Good quality of DVD, was delivered earlier than expect4d delivery date from seller, which is always a plus!!
on 20 August 2017
A classic if you haven't seen then watch this
on 17 July 2017
As I wrote before a fantastic seller and a great movie to see again
on 7 August 2017
I like watching this dvd great film
on 7 April 2017