on 20 February 2001
We always expect a recording of quality from Dolly, and once again we are rewarded. This time though she has stripped away the studio tricks and techniques, and focused instead on the purity of her voice and the quality of musicians performing with her.
Dolly's is not a perfect voice, but you believe every word she sings, her phrasing and the emotion present in all the performances send shivers down the spine.
The title track Little Sparrow, brings a tear to the eye of the hardest listener, I Get A Kick Out Of You, is given a splendid re-working and, my favourite, A Tender Lie, is the sort of song you can listen to over and over again and hear something new and more beautiful each time.
Dolly has made no secret of the fact that as an established Country artiste she finds it hard to get airplay in the US. She has addressed this bravely, concentrating on songs she wants to record and recording them how she wishes.
Mountain Angel is a 6+ minute long recording, it will probably never be played on the radio, but I have had it on replay for the last week. Dolly proves the pedigree of her writing re-recording two of her standards here, Down From Dover and The Seeker. It is a demonstration of her ability as singer and songwriter that both recordings sound as vibrant and as fresh as when she first recorded them back in the sixties.
This is certainly my album of the year, I am going to buy a second copy as I want to keep a copy in the car at all times. However the most telling for me has been watching how Madonna mad friends of mine keep switching off the Immaculate one and asking if we can just listen to Dolly again.......
on 31 July 2014
Great album
On this album, the follow-up to The grass is blue, Dolly explores her musical roots further. While still essentially a bluegrass album, there are other influences here. Mountain music with a modern edge would be a more accurate description.
Dolly wrote some new songs for the album - Little sparrow, Bluer pastures, Mountain Angel and Marry me - and recorded covers of Seven Bridges Road (Eagles), Shine (Collective soul), I get a kick out of you (the often-covered Cole Porter classic), I don't believe you've met my baby (a Louvin Brothers song that Dolly previously recorded as a duet with Porter Wagoner, and which has been covered by many country singers, including Alison Krauss), A tender lie (Restless heart), In the sweet by and by and two songs she wrote and first recorded in the early seventies (Down from Dover and My blue tears).
As you will see from the originals Dolly covered, the songs are from widely different sources but all have been adapted to fit the style of the album. There is an old saying that a good song can be adapted to fit any style, and Dolly proves it, especially with her version of I get a kick out of you, which sounds very different from any previous recording of this song.
This is a wonderful album, in keeping with the standard Dolly has set since her return to a more traditional sound, beginning with Hungry again, continuing with Grass is blue, this album and Halos and horns. In terms of quality, there really isn't much to choose between all four and I can well understand those who think this is the best of the lot.
on 2 November 2001
I'm a longtime fan of the wonderful Dolly so I accept the fact that I'm biased!!
This album see's Dolly continuing her journey back to her bluegrass and mountain roots that she started with her "Hungry Again" and "The Grass Is Blue" cd's and the music has developed with each recording, Dolly's voice is crystal clear and full of emotion here and sounds as good as ever.
I hope that Shania, Faith and LeAnn take note.
on 23 February 2001
The under-appreciated Dolly Parton returns with her second bluegrass album in just over a year. Due to the fact that she has realised that commerial stations will not play her music anymore, she has decided to record the type of music she wants to perform, a loss to the radio stations but a real treat to her dedicated fans. As always, the songs on this album are meaningful and all tell a story in the way that only Dolly can tell them and break your heart as well. She has reworked her early hit Down From Dover and performs a haunting song in Mountain Angel. But for me the real gem of the album is her rendition of Cole Porter's I Get A Kick Out Of You, which after a fabulous banjo intro hears Dolly perform it with gusto. Other outstanding songs include 'I Don't Belieive You've Met my Baby', In the Sweet By & By' and 'Bluer Pastures'. Bluegrass was a sound I was unfamiliar with but if it sounds the way Dolly makes it sound then I am it's new fan.
on 3 August 2013
Have seen Dolly live a few times now and she always sings Little Sparrow - so I have wanted this album for a long time.

It did not disappoint!

This is much more blues type album - but the vocals are amazing
on 15 October 2015
Excellent cd from dolly again highly recomend
on 8 May 2012
Easy to order from amazon
Fast delivery
Arrived in good condition
Dolly Parton CD, one of her finest
Bought as a gift and recipient delighted to receive it.
on 5 February 2015
Perfect my husband loves this album
on 21 October 2011
Brilliant content on this Cd. Item was delivered well with the timeframe window and in excellent condition. I would reccommend this product.