on 21 January 2004
I have loved this record from day one! Way back when on disc. Seeing this released on CD now with bonus tracks is really fantastic!! There are two GREAT tracks on this live album that stand out to me. "Softly As I Leave You" and also "Maybe Someday" These two songs Cliff never recorded in the studio for reasons unknown, They are both very moving. Also, This new CD release includes some tracks that were never on the 1983 LP, But most true Cliff fans will know. "Discovering, You Me And Jesus, The Golden Days Are Over, And Little Town. They were left off the original album due to time, But it's really great to hear them now on this CD!
on 28 July 2003
My father has had the tape of this concert for many years now, and whenever I want to listen to some excellent harmonies and some very nicely done orchestral arrangements, I listen to the almost worn out tape.
Sir Cliff and the background vocalists are doing a wonderful job, and the London Symphony Orchestra is as "pop" as it can be.
I especially like "Thief in the night". I get goosepumps every time I listen to it.
If you're a Cliff Richard fan, you really shouldn't be without this CD.
on 30 June 2003
This is absolutely and completely magnificent! The beautiful voice of Cliff and the class of the London Philharmonic blend so beautifully together. Cliff sings with richness, polish, flair; enunciates his vocals with passion, feeling and finesse. The London Philharmonic play with warmth and sensitivity that gives these wonderful songs an added edge and vitality. "Green Light" is a stunning example of this. The sweeping orchestral arrangement lends Alan Tarney's great song about romantic insecurity a haunting, dramatic feel; and Cliff extends his vowels and sings in low mellow tones so the song sinks in deep. "We Don't Talk Anymore" is again performed with outstanding flair; heart-wrenchingly evocative holding of notes in the verse and chorus; and the high notes hit with real energy and skill. "True Love Ways" and "Softly As I Leave You" are truly stunning; possibly the best ever performances of these; with the sweetness and elegance of the London Philharmonic; and Cliff's quintessential showman's voice croons luscious, gorgeously melodic, creamy glissandos and vibratos. "Carrie" - how good can you get? I didn't think this, one of Cliff's most moving rockers, would work with a classical orchestra - but it does - Cliff sings hard here, with real edge; real bite; and tears at our heartstrings...then into one of Cliff's loveliest and most evocative ballads, "Miss You Nights" - it hasn't the intimacy nor the deep harmonies of the original studio album "I'm Nearly Famous" (highly recommended); but the use of more real instruments instead of keyboards brings out the sheer heartwarming beauty of the arrangement; and Cliff's dulcet vocal evokes its sadness to every heart. The next three songs are utterly unbelievable. "Galadriel" - an uplifting gospel song - and "Maybe Someday", a romantic ballad - and "Thief In The Night" - a great gospel rocker about the second coming - move from brittle, gorgeously soft intimacy to stunning grandeur. I don't know how Cliff hits these high notes with such tenderness and yet with such emotional energy, but he does. The London Philharmonic accentuate the highly excellent arrangements. "Up In The World"...one of the most beautiful love songs ever written, a Clifford T Ward ballad...is stunning here...the strings have so much more depth than on the original version from the 1977 "Every Face Tells A Story" album, and Cliff's voice a richer, deeper, maturer roundedness. "Treasure Of Love" - a lovely, evocative rendition with stunning strings work. "Devil Woman"...a great version of Cliff's 1976 disco rocker and worldwide smash...the disco influence gone, the London philharmonic emphasize the song's disconcerting, haunting power and Cliff's husky-sweet vocals have never sounded better. This album is a huge treat from start to finish. Enjoy!
on 3 June 2010
I had this album before but lost it in a burglary. I have not been able to find it anywhere till I saw it here. It is a must to have & would strongly recommend it
on 21 September 2014
Bought the record when it was first released but gave it to someone to sell when I moved to Egypt. Now so, so happy to have another copy of this superb recording. I am trying to build my collection of Cliff Richard recordings again. thank you.
on 7 May 2012
I bought this on cassette when it first came out and loved it then (a long time ago as you can imagine), now I have it on CD and it's even better with the re-mastered and extra tracks. I would recommend this for any Cliff fan, whatever their age.
on 10 September 2004
I bought Dressed for the Occasion on cassette tape years ago and loved it, but unfortunately with much use over the years it was way passed it's best and no longer good to listen too. I had searched many times before to see if it was available on CD with no luck, so it was wonderful to find it available from Amazon. I am not a real fan of Cliff but I defy anyone who listens to this to not like it. The backing of an orchestra just seems to bring his voice alive, Cliff as you have never heard him before. All of the tracks are brilliant with my favourites being Miss You Nights & True Love Ways.
on 3 April 2016
Whilst I accept that second hand cd's can have slight defects, it was unfortunate that the particular track for which I purchased the album was the one that had small defects. The rest of the album was OK
on 19 January 2012
I have had this release on Cassette since its debut and now to be able to buy it on CD is great.Just a pity its taken me so long to realise that Amazon has almost everything!!!!!
on 4 June 2013
I play this CD often because I love hearing Cliff sing and although there is applause on this CD, I can live with it as it is from a concert.