Customer reviews

La Règle du jeu [1939] [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 13 February 2006
I won't go on about it but I liked this film a lot. It is mostly a comedy about the social mores of the super rich, but it's a really well done piece of observation about different attitudes to adultery and love. I recommend it to anyone who likes well-made old films.
on 9 March 2007
I first viewed this film a few years ago now, then i was amazed and confused by it. i have seen it at least 10 times since and love every viewing. the plot is genius, renoir tackling the subject of different classes. though not dividing them but showing we are all the same, striving for something better and in this case love and lust. it is poigniant, hilarious, sad, dark, i could go on... personally i rate this as the second best film of all time (nothing betters citizan kane but it is the only film that is remotely close).
on 10 October 2013
I couldn't decide whether to buy this region-2 BFI DVD or to wait for a B region blu-ray (as the only BD editions available are the french one with no subtitles, and Criterion region 1-locked). But I regret now I bought this DVD.

This is without doubt a masterpiece of cinematography, acting and narration, regardless of its age. In its uncensored version presented here, it leaves you speechless and wanting more.

But this release cannot offer you any more actually - very poor contrast, terribly unstable picture and incorrect ratio (looks like 1.78:1 instead of the correct 1.33:1 - and yes, I double-checked the TV settings).

I hope that Criterion edition looks much better than this. Anyway, it's high time to re-release this classic now in remastered HD, as well as other BFI milestones by Cocteau, Ghatak, Dreyer and others!
on 17 September 2012
They say at the time of its release in 1939 that Renoir himself once said "I wanted to depict a society dancing on a volcano".........When you watch this almost comedic pre-war gem you will see exactly what he means. It's a film to be lost in.. Soak up in the wit and cynical marvel of the characters..................Not to be missed..
on 5 July 2003
This is the one film that everyone should see, and that everyone should see several times. It is the best film ever made by a very long way, in a different class to the American and British pretenders.
Ostensibly, it is a triangle of love triangles, but it goes so much further. It is dark, funny, moving, deep, complex and incisive. It is a film that is not only essential on DVD, but the only one that makes it essential to own a DVD player - just so you can watch this film over and over.
Yes, it is in French, but don't let that put you off. It could be the only subtitled film you ever see (although you would be missing out on many other fine films, of course). If this were the only film (foreign or otherwise) I were ever allowed to watch for the rest of my life, I would be happy.
22 Comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Renoir's brilliant study of class warfare takes place during a shooting weekend. Protagonists from across the social (and gender) divide fight bitter and deadly battles as they seek to justify their positions and reinforce the jealousies that divide them.
Its wit, subtlety, incredible acting and sharp dialogue make it a classic.
on 2 June 2003
I am delighted that at last this film is available on DVD. This is the finest film that has ever been made, streets ahead of any pretenders. If you only own one DVD, and I'm serious about this, it should be this one. In fact, I've read reviewers who recommend watching this film again every month as both therapy and education. I have seen it many times, and it just gets better and better. Yes, it is in French, but why should that stop you? It is also absolutely brilliant from start to finish in every department.
I don't want to try encapsulating the plot, because discovering it for the first time as it unwinds is something you will cherish. Then you will want to revisit it.
All I can say is that I hope the rest of Renoir's films are going to be coming out on DVD - they're not up there with this one, but they are all worth seeing. I think a lot of people will want to see more of them once they have watched this one.
What more do I need to say? It's better than the Godfather films, it's better than Star Wars, it's better than Casablanca or Pulp Fiction. If you have a DVD collection without it, then your collection is only second best.
on 5 December 2014
One of cinema's great highlights. An ambiguous yet passionate film from 1939...
on 25 May 2010
I did buy this movie for my mother because my grant aunt is the actress. This movie has a very different meaning to me and a very different motivation to buy which might not be relevant to others.
Even tough I expected a bit more and gave it only 3 stars.
It is an interesting movie and for me surprising to see how the society (upper class) has been represented. If somebody is interested to about the life style of middle / upper class at that time, it is for sure worth watching.
I found the movie quite entertaining. Without my very personal reason to see this movie, I am not sure how much I would have liked it. I would not watch it several times (except to see my aunt).
on 30 July 2015
Excellent product, Fast delivery - well packaged - Thanks!