Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Eminem Shop now Shop now

on 12 March 2017
Bought to back fill my collection, a good buy
on 27 November 2003
Let me start by saying I don't really like punk. Generally speaking I prefer the haunted or slayer, but this band truly is something special. This is their greatest album to date, even beating the superb 'from here to infirmary'. The utter contempt that matt skiba and co show for the abysmal current punk scene in the superb 'we've had enough' show that this is a punk band smart enough to not require milking each morning. Other higlights include the brooding 'continental', the incredibly catchy three cords of 'fatally yours' and the gentle post-good riddance closer 'blue in the face'. Overall this album is heartfelt, honest, catchy, accesible and downright genius.
on 18 June 2004
After discovering Alkaline Trio, by seeing their Private Eye video, I listened to From Here to Infirmary. It was one of the finest albums I have ever listened to. Good Mourning has that effect on me also, but even more so. Good Mourning has not been off my CD player since I got it. Opening with the loud and large rock anthems of This Could Be Love and We've Had Enough, the kind of songs that made them what they are today. Then comes the more melodic 100 Stories, with its catchy chorus. Followed by the well-written anthems of Continental and All on Black, perfectly cathcing Matt Skiba's great singing voice, with their brilliant loud and large choruses. Emma is a step into the more typical pop-punk genre away from the Trio's usual dark style. Fatally Yours and Every Thug Needs A Lady are more into the trio's normal punk style. Blue Carolina combines good riffs with a very catchy chorus. Donner Party is another of the simple well-written fun rock songs that made the Trio famous. If We Never Go Inside showcases Dan Adriano(Bass) taking the microphone and execute his good voice to a great song with a great chorus. The album ends with the excellent Blue In The Face, an acoustic solo effort by Matt Skiba, ending the album with the question, Your coffin or mine?
The verdict is as follows; Alkaline Trio do not disappoint on their follow-up to From Here To Infirmary, with a diverse collection of great songs, including their usual dark style and some new takes on songs also. Good Mourning is a must-have to any punk fan or Alkaline Trio fan. Take my word for it, if were not a fan of the Trio before, this album could very quickly cahnge your mind.
on 19 May 2003
The similarities between Good Mourning and From Here To Infirmary are obvious, it has an comic title, 14 tracks (2 extra for us in the UK) and, surprisingly for an album which was intended to propel the 'Trio further into the mainstream, little change in the topic or sound of the music. On first glance it would appear that Alkaline Trio haven't progressed one iota over the past two years. Matt Skiba still hasn't learned how to play anything apart from power-chords and his lyrics still tell of death, love and hate, though perhaps in a more eloquent fashion. Even a new drummer in the form of Derek Grant has done little to change the sound. Is this a bad thing though? Alkaline Trio's strength has always been in their trademark sound which has the rare ability of making you cry, before picking you up and then hurling you down again.
The new album has inexplicably lost much of the instant sing-along properties of From Here To Infirmary but has gained the aura of a somewhat more meaningful, less poppy, album. Admittedly you will find yourself bawling along to We've Had Enough and Every Thug Needs A Lady but songs like This Could Be Love and Dead End Road (which, I believe, initially appeared on compilation LP Living Tomorrow Today and is arguably the highlight of the album) demand to be listened to and understood, something which can be said of few of the tracks on the previous album. Skiba also finally picks up his acoustic again on Blue In The Face which is brilliantly similar to he fantastic Sorry About That from 1998's Goddamnit.
Good Mourning has all the hallmarks of an album by a band which has finally found itself, from the vastly improved production to the great presentation, hell, it even smells nice. However this is not a quick fix album, it will take you at least a couple of weeks to get into. If you're already a fan then don't expect different, but then you guessed that. For newcomers get From Here To Infirmary first, then Maybe I'll Catch Fire and finally this. Crazy sounding advice I know which will no doubt go largely disregarded but when you own all their albums you'll maybe understand that new is not necessarily better. Please don't buy this album if your understanding of "punk" is Blink 182, Avril Lavigne and Sum 41 but if you can enjoy stirring guitar riffs and the most intellectual, evocative lyrics you're heard for a couple of years then dive in, fall down and you'll never look back...
on 14 February 2004
About two years ago, I bought a ticket to see a punk band who were to play Fibbers in York, on the recommendation of a friend. As it turned out, they cancelled, leaving me with a tenner spare, so I went out and bought their current album to see what I'd missed. That turned out to be the magnificient From Here To Infirmary, packed full of catchy punk riffs and the darkest lyrics I'd ever heard from a band of their kind. Naturally when Good Mourning came out, I was eager to hear it. At first I was unsure, they had more slick and creative guitar parts to what I was used to, but it din't take long for me to be converted. It is technically better on every level, with Derek Grant adding a wall of sound and some spine-tingling howls to the mix, and Matt's voice has developed into a husky growl. The songs themself are all pretty excellent, but in particular I have to recommend Blue In The Face: A beautifully dark accoustic song that brings out the best in Skiba's vocals, Continental: for it's catchy lyrics and tune, Emma: for one of the best choruses that the trio have ever written, and finally All On Black: in my opinion, the best song they've ever written, featuring darker than dark lyrics and beautifully crafted guitar parts. I would say that the first half of the album is a fair bit stronger than the second half, but with out a bad song on the record, I'm not complaining. Awe inspiring.
on 14 May 2003
I've been waiting a few years for this album now, and i must admit i was concerned that age might blunt the fury of this talented and ever-angry three piece.
I'm happy to say that my fears were totally unfounded, as Good Mourning sees the boys return on blistering form. The clue is in the title; a pun which hints at a darkness that chief vocalist Matt Skiba can never seem to escape.
Quite where this album fits into the Alkaline Trio legacy I'm not sure. Its glossier than any previous release, and some might argue that its the rawness of their earlier albums which gave the songs their powerful emotional edge. On the other hand, the quality of the songwriting is undiminished, and a few tracks here stand alongside established classics such as "Radio" and "Goodbye Forever".
Overall another great record from Alkaline Trio. I've been a fan of this band for years, and they've yet to let me down. If you're a fan of the band or of emo/punk in general then this is a must. If not then ask yourself one question; do you want an album which can make you laugh and cry, bring you down and lift you up, time after time? If so, click "add to basket"
on 2 February 2004
This was the 1st Alkaline trio I got and its amazing. I'd heard the better known song off their other albums-Stupid Kid, Private Eye-and loved them so decided to get the album. The songs are all superbly written and to quote another review, manage to make you feel bad even when your in a good mood. This could get depressing but songs like 'Every Thug Needs A Lady' are brilliant pick ups. 'Every Thug....' is prob one of my fav tracks of all time. From a drumming point of view the albums faultless too. I saw these guys in Manchester and they're even better live than on CD.
I wouldn't group them in with blink, NFG like a few other reviews say. I think they're a bit more 'grown up' than those bands- good as they are. I'd say they were more like American Hi-Fi or Green Day. Generally a Brilliant album and a good introduction to this amazing band.
on 19 May 2003
on 12 June 2003
The Alkaline Trio are back, and are darker, and more melodic than could ever be imagined.
Having listened to the sounds of "from here to infirmary", and their dangerously close submission to "poppy" fun "on maybe ill catch fire", I am delighted to announce the triumphant return to clever lyrics, catchy riffs and down right funky beats that the alkaline trio made so well on their previous release.
The album opens with a catchy yet some how self-destroying song about death and the pleasures of it, not very strange for the trio I know. A very catchy song with equally clever lyrics. Following this is what I deem to be the best song on the album, and easily recognisable as the next single sure to be released from the record, as "We've had enough" will be energy enough for their up and coming shows. Track 3 falls slightly behind the quality of the first two however it still retains the beauty of amazing drum work and melody in the combination of Skiba and Adriano. Continental, number four is a beauty, not sure what its about but the usual love torn hate sounds familiar, a very good song and one of my favourites. All on black is by far the most meaningful song on the album, I wont go into too much detail, ill let you find it out for yourself, but witty, soulful, nostalgic and happy endings lyrics really give it an edge along with ace drumming and some very good backing vocals from Adriano.
Enough said? I think not
Track 6, Emma, is another very good song, about the loved and lost and the best way to be dumped "Emma woke up in darkness, bags already packed, not on the bed stand signed in blood "sincerely never coming back". Sheer brilliance
Anyway....... all in all, it's a very very good album, and a must for all alkaline trio fans, however if you're a new fan, id suggest from here to infirmary to get to grips with them first, and the this album will feel like that empty slot in your collection, into which the trio fit perfectly. I know I haven't talked about all the songs; I didn't want to spoil all the surprises!
on 12 January 2004
Alkaline Trio have been my favourite band for several years and I have eagerly anticipated the release of every one of their albums. After the excelllent From Here To Infirmary I had considered that the band had peaked in there song writing and would struggle to match what I then thought was the best stuff they would do. I am now very ashamed at what I thought as to be honest I was way off.
Do not make the mistake in thinking that Good Mourning is drastically better than the Trio's earlier work as this is well worth a look but for the epitomy of this outstanding band look no further. Every track stands out and will make a big connection with you. Black punk is a genre I believe Alkaline Trio have invented as there sound is not only lively and upbeat but unique with the use of beautifully written, dark lyrics and Good Mourning is certainly the best advert for their original take on the punk genre (which lets be honest is often fairly samey).
Tracks to commend would be Continental, This could be love, Old SKool Reasons and Blue in the face as these illustrate the Trio's three styles of song you will hear from them. However, every Trio fan I have met has a different favourite song by Alkaline Trio so you will probably like different songs to me if u decide to listen to this, and for good reason as any one of them is worthy of being your favourite!
why five stars? Because if I were to review the other three Trio albums i'd give them full marks to! Please buy this! A band with music you can relate to is something special no matter what style of music you like. Good mourning tells you everything about Alkaline Trio and shows just how meaningful punk can be, when it shows it's darker side! You'll never like anything quite as much.......