on 22 April 2017
This pressure cooker has proved that it can be worth paying a premium for quality. Its well built and feels sturdy and strong.Its design is so simple that there is very little to go wrong. According to the Manual it goes up to 17PSI if you let it go past the red marks, which frequently we do and explains why it seems to cook beans in super fast time.
This literally changed the way we eat, going from never cooking a dried bean in my life to doing batches at least 3 times a week.

The best tip i ever had was to start with boiling water, this takes the time to get up to pressure from 10mins down to 2-3, so I can cooked soaked beans in 15mins tops from start to finish.

There are very few things to criticize as its so easy to clean and maintain and quick releasing the pressure is safe and easy. Occasionally we would have to pull up the weight as it got stuck, and if the seal inst quite right steam can escape form the handle.
If you want a manual pressure cooker, this will certainly last for many many years and spare parts are readily available. The manufacturer prides itself on having spare parts available well after they stop producing models.

HOWEVER...
I can't rate this highly enough but here is the big but...We originally purchased this over an electric pressure cooker because of its longevity, we didn't want an electrical appliance that would break down after a year. Having had this for a yeah though i'd given up making big batches of chilli etc because it tended to spit and block up the seals. On a gas hob it also requires supervision to tweak the flame to maintain a steady pressure meaning you can't just walk away form it for more than a few minutes or it will either be over or under pressure.

I took the risk and purchased the instant pot, and in all honesty the manual cooker hasn't been used since. The electric cookers are slower as they work at a lower pressure, its perhaps 15% slower so not as good if you want to make a quick dinner but the enourmous benefit is that you can just walk away from it. This means you can re-create slow cooked dishes and cook beans direct from dry and not have to be even in the house for the 25mins to an hour it takes. I now cook 4-5 dishes a week in the instant pot cooking anything from beans,potatoes,soups and stews to steamed veggies and baked potatoes.
So really you need to weight up if you want quality that will last a lifetime, or convenience and versatility. Both are high ticket items and I don't regret either purchase.
5 people found this helpful
on 22 September 2016
I am very happy with this pressure cooker, it is very safe, quiet, cooks the food very quickly keeping the nutrients in the food (as very little water and quick cooking). However, I want to share my experience with other potential clients.I read a review of a client who was disappointed and complained that the valve cap on the lid needs to be lifted with hand otherwise all the steam generated starts escaping.
I had exactly the same problem. I called the company (in the UK) and they spotted the problem straight away. Actually NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH THE COOKER, I just had to lift the black valve cap to the level of the 2 red lines with one hand, with the other hand, I had to screw the valve properly (it was only unscrewed). I want to make it right as I found unfair that the Kuhn Rikon Company got a negative feedback because the top valve was just unscrewed. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this pressure cooker and thanks for Kuhn Rikon Company who solved this problem very quickly.
7 people found this helpful
on 8 April 2018
This is a serious piece of kit.

The pot heats up super quickly and it's very easy to clean; the heavy bottom and thick walls keep temperature very well, and as a result, I've used the pot for pretty much anything — from sautéing to deep frying. Obviously I bought it because I wanted a pressure cooker — and that's where it really shines.

The valve at the top has 2 indicators for the pressure level. As the pressure increases, the valve slowly starts coming out. From what I can see, this pressure cooker achieves higher pressure than other brands (e.g. Tower) so it cooks food much quicker. The cone metal part diffuses any steam that might come out. The material is quality stainless steel, so you can use Bar Keepers Friend to keep it looking brand new.

As a bonus, the item comes with a booklet with cooking times for all kinds of food — from meat and legumes to fruits.

Overall, it's a fantastic pressure cooker, but clearly it comes with a price tag to match.
on 18 April 2018
I bought this after being introduced to the Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker at a cooking class. It was a little tricky to get the hang of using at first but there is a great help line for Kuhn Rikon and they talked me through how to use it. At first I was using a heat diffuser, as advised by the cooking school but this meant it took longer to build pressure and as long as you use it on an appropriate sized ring on the gas hob, there should be no discolouration of the sides. It has been easy to clean. The pot itself is very solid and substantial and I can also use it for other things - I bought a clear glass lid for that purpose. Highly recommended - have used it to great effect to make a risotto in twelve minutes without the need to keep stirring; to make a soup or stock in a fifth of the time it would usually take and so on.
on 3 December 2017
Perfect pot for Christmas pudding.
I bought this 6ltr 24cm pressure cooker specifically for steaming Christmas pudding which i did the day after taking delivery. it's brilliant and sat quietly on the hop clinking away with the metal pud vessel inside sitting on top of the stainless steel trivet which comes with it and is essential for keeping it of the pot bottom. minimum heat required but i think i will buy a defuser only to spread the heat even more and to protect the pot. It lost about half a litre of water over the 2.5 hours it was steaming away as i couldn't reduce the heat any more on the smallest gas ring. so not only do you not get a greasy steamed kitchen but it takes a 1/3 of the time and minimal gas. What more could you want.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2011
The pressure cooker arrived exactly when expected and I am absolutely delighted with it. The quality is definitely as described and it works a dream. It has been in use every day since it arrived. The only thing that confuses me a little with regard to the cookbook I bought at the same time "Pressure Perfect is that Lorna Sass doesn't mention two levels of pressure, which this cooker has. But the instruction booklet is very good and so is the booklet with recipes.

I highly recommend this pressure cooker and am really glad I decided on a good quality PC.
25 people found this helpful
on 31 December 2016
Have used this once to make stock/bone broth. Normally that would entail boiling away in a saucepan, smelling out the house, making the cats go crazy, and a greasy kitchen at the end of it all. Along comes the Kuhn Rikon for my birthday and how delighted am I!!! I made some lovely stock. Didn't have to keep topping up the water level as it boiled away, the smell was at a minimum, no greasy kitchen!! What's not to love. Yes it was a bit noisy when it got up to temperature, frightened the cat!! But maybe I just needed to reduce temperature or move to slower heat source. I'm sure I will master that next time. Easy to clean. Expensive but worth every penny.
on 26 April 2017
I didn't think I could get so excited by a pressure cooker but this really has done it for me. There are two 8 litre kuhn rikons available. I think this is taller than the other, which suits me as I use it most often to make soup. The build quality is superb, looks really sleek. The first time, it wouldn't come up to pressure but that is because I didn't put the gasket in properly. So quiet, not heavy so it is easy to wash. Go on, spend the little extra that this costs, you won't be disappointed
on 13 June 2014
I love this pressure cooker. I've had it for a few months now and although it was frighteningly expensive I now consider it totally essential and it is in almost daily use. Its much much quicker and easier to cook almost anything in this pressure cooker. Its totally easy to use and very good looking. I was a bit concerned I'd only be using it now and then for cooking chickpeas etc. but actually its good for anything you might ordinarily cook in a saucepan - but super speedy. I especially like the fact that it is very quiet and that it doesn't have a long handle so I can store it on a pan rack easily. I cook daily for a family of 6 and a 6 litre model is good for us - however if I wanted to cook larger quantities to freeze I could really do with an 8 litre pan. At first you have to look up timings for everything but you soon get a feel for how long things will take and I am no longer needing to check the booklet. Its so easy to reduce the pressure by pushing down the vent that you can easily check your cooking and then add a few more minutes if needed. Very happy customer.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 December 2016
Another EXCELLENT product sold by Amazon. We had a very old pressure cooker that had seen better days and we decided to invest in a more modern cooker. Chose Kuhn Rikon as the descriptor oozed quality! When the cooker arrived it was even better than we had expected! When under pressure, there is hardly any steam noise coming from it and, combined with our Siemens Induction Hob, the veg are cooked in less than 6 minutes!

Would we buy this cooker again? Most definitely!