Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 October 2003
progressive guitar making tension, a nasal voice and hollow percussion. Beck cross-over Bernard Herrman. Vocals like Calvin Jonhson, litle music box when opened delivers nightmare. Layers of synthesizers with tiny noises beyond. Music for a high level IQ discothec customers. No dancing customers. Brilliant...electro minimal and Brian Wilson.
on 13 October 2003
I must admit that when I first heard "Why", I was a non-believer... It wasn't exactly hip-hop, wasn't exactly spoken words. But now, I'm pretty sure that's what gives it its charm. There really isn't anything else like it in the market right now. And can I just say that you've never even heard drumming until you've listened to this CD! I recently saw these guys in Bristol (...), and you would not even believe what this guy can do with 3 drums and 3 symbols! I'm not going to try and persuade anyone to buy this, but at least borrow it off your friends! Give it a listen, if you don't buy it then I'll eat my shoe....
VINE VOICEon 20 January 2004
If you're a fan of Beck, the second Air album, or like the idea of a obscure yank spouting mad stuff over really addictive ambient hip-hop, then here's an album to make you smile as you munch on cashew nuts in an autumnal park, kicking pigeons across the pavement amidst dreams about licking tahini off the kneecaps of Germaine Greer.
Electronic Pink Floyd gurgles (but much less indulgent), plucked guitars, occassional geek raps, early ween type vocal effects, superb lyrics that flit between clarity and confusion - this is an album filled to the gills with ideas and brimming with experimentation (if you want pop, do not buy this - it has hooks but it is certainly not verse-chorus-verse). And somehow it's only 38 minutes long.
I know nothing about Why? apart from the fact he is a member of Clouddead (who are also excellent but not quite as catchy or melodic). After stumbling across this album I am keen to find out more. Quality gibberish.
on 4 March 2013
From my son's wish list...Birthday 16 March. I can only assume that this will be fine
as it is his choice