on 10 January 2017
Was really looking forward to receiving this as this is one of my favourite films from my childhood. Received next day. Was upset upon receipt to see all the cover writing with Italian and thought I had ordered the wrong Language DVD or had been sent a wrong one. I went back on Amazon and saw quite a lot of negative reviews about the bad picture quality and only foreign language dvds being sent. After inserting the DVD the disc options were all in Italian but they were easy to work out what they were. I selected the english playback and the movie playback in the original english language and picture quality was perfect which i was very relieved at. Whilst I would have preferred the DVD to be the english original, with english cover as well, it only takes a few seconds to select the english version so am very happy with purchase. This has to be one of the best costume/swordfighting movies ever made and one of Stewart Granger's best.
3 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2016
Errr, not quite sure what is going on here. I clicked on my order to review Scaramouche and got a link with this picture, which, while I'm no expert, doesn't look like Scaramouche to me.
Regardless, I shall press on. Good old fashioned adventure-romance, set in pre-revolutionary France, with Granger seeking revenge for the death of his friend at the hands of aristocrat and expert swordsman, Mel Ferrer. Along the way, he learns to fence, joins the theatre and becomes a star in the disguise of the comic character, "Scaramouche". Janet Leigh and Eleanor Parker look exquisite. The whole thing has great style and is played with a flourish, by all concerned. Good fun.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 April 2014
Perhaps I should have looked at the web-sire image under a microscope to see the tiny, inscrutable Chinese writing. I seriously doubt that this cheap Chinese copy is licensed for distribution in the UK! They didn't even use real shrink-wrap, but instead used seaweed and ox-dung. (OK I made that bit up, but it was in a weird plastic baggie instead of shrink-wrap. The picture was discernible, although badly faded. The sound was appalling - even Stewart Granger's beautiful voice was badly muffled. And it wasn't even cheap!!! All in ll a tragic rendering of a truly wonderful film. Luckily, Amazon to the rescue and they have authorised the return.
6 people found this helpful
on 3 April 2009
This is a tremendous, colourful swashbuckler which has become one of my favourite films since I discovered it on TV a couple of years ago. It tells a lively adventure story set in pre Revolution France. The costumes and sets are amazingly colourful. Eleanor Parker and Janet Leigh both look heart stoppingly beautiful - no wonder Scaramouche (Stewart Granger) is in love with both of them. There is a marvellous sprinkling of scenes set amongst a group of travelling players in which Andre Morell must disguise himself as the clown Scaramouche in order to escape his aristocratic enemies. Stewart Granger provides a more complex, rounded characterization than sometimes in his career. This film also has one of the longest and most spectacular fencing duels in all cinema history.
25 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 20 March 2013
This comes from the age when men were not afraid to be men and women could not but help being, well err, women. But you will like it all the better for that! The plot-line, script, acting - from actors and actresses - are first rate; plus the fact that it is a mix of adventure and swash-buckling which is bound to make the most resolute sit on the edge of their seats. The end scenes, of a sword fight, are unsurpased and in between there is terrifying drama and superb comedy. Stuart Granger falls in love and eventually is able to wed the women he wants!
on 23 December 2015
This product came as 2 DVDs - The main DVD (Movie) would not play - the other DVD was all in FRENCH. Not worth 2 pence to me - You sent me a return label and I returned it. As of today I have nor received a reply..
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 24 November 2017
This is one of Stewart Granger's best action films and a treat for swashbuckling fans. Having seen the film many times before I knew exactly what I was buying. It was delivered on time and well packaged.
on 23 February 2018
once you figure out the menue & get the film running the picture quality is not great even for a DVD.. Still a classic of it's time
on 16 October 2016
If you like a good yarn, wonderful swordfights and and a bit of humour then look no further . Stewart Granger was one of me mum's favourites always the dashing leading man this was a cracking film ideally suited for his talents.
on 24 July 2011
I first saw this many,many years ago and had an old VHS copy taken off the TV. It represents one of the best films of its' genre and has probably the best fencing sequence of any film of its' type. I have been waiting for this on DVD for a long time and am happy to report that the quality is simply excellent,with vibrant colours and clean sound. If you've never seen it,buy it now and enjoy a true classic- if you have seen it,buy it and enjoy again the thrill of some of the best fencing sequences ever filmed. Simply superb.