on 29 August 2003
This is an appropriately named machine and it has been designed right down to the last detail. It arrived in a neatly packed box-and all accessories cramped into a very small space. It did not take much time to unpack and get the machine working. All the bits are logical and slot into place perfectly. The suction and power of the machine is very good and our dog is not too happy about his clean bedding etc. Carpets are now done without going over and over again and the car boot has never been cleaner. The whole package is fairly light and easily manuoverable. One downside is the noise of the motor. Otherwise no complaints and a must for all animal lovers.
VINE VOICEon 11 February 2004
This is the BEST vaccume cleaner I have ever owned. Over the past 5 years I've tried the Hoover, Panasonic and the last was a Miele, but in a household of 2 dogs, a cat, 4 humans, we were in dire need of a serious vaccum cleaner....and then we bought the Dyson and it changed our lives!
Here is a miracle cleaner, with unparalleled sucking power, aided by a nifty turbo brush that drags up every hair and dander stuck in the carpet, on the sofa and curtains.
Admitted, manipulating and manouvering the Dyson up and down the stairs with all its attachments dangling down the tube took a little getting used to, but I was awe struck by how clean and fresh our home looked and smelt. This is a serious piece of cleaning equipment for owners of furry pets (and / or hairy husbands).
The no-bag system is also a money saving bonus, and the clear drum allows you to see just how much yucky stuff is being merciless sucked up, leaving you with a definate sense of satisfaction that your home is that much cleaner. Emptying the drum is quick and easy - no mess, no fuss.
I only have 3 complaints about this Dyson - noise, colour and price - all of which I barely notice now. It is an expensive machine, but well worth every penny.
on 2 February 2004
This really has got to be the best vacuum i have ever owned or used. i have a dog, cat and three children and my carpets have never been cleaner. it tackles everything i throw at it, even the mud i allowed to dry on the carpet (via the dog), it took it all. like the above reviewer says, you dont have to go over and over the same spot, and the carpets, though not new, have a new lease of life. they look 'vacuumed' every time i clean them.
it comes with no less than three heads, though i dont get on with the 'contact' head, the other head is superb. it has a revolving brush which is like using an upright. the dog hairs have no chance. its quite amazing to see how much dirt comes up from the carpet. my other vacuum wasnt broke - it just couldnt cope, and if like me yours isnt coping but youre considering this purchase, dont waste any more time thinking about it, just buy it, you wont regret it. in fact, you'll wonder how on earth you coped without it.
my only gripe with this machine is the stairs, it doesnt have the stair hugging shape previously synonymous with dyson, and the hose doesnt reach the top of my stairs. and the small tools are not 'on board', but on a very innovative but awkward clip on the hose. but to be honest, the machine cleans so close to the wall that i dont have to use the nozzle very much, so i dont keep them on the hose. all that aside, i wouldnt reduce the rating i have given it. my carpets have never been so clean and i am absolutely delighted with it. i could never go back to a 'normal' vacuum again.
go buy it.
on 16 July 2004
Just unpacked my dyson animal tonight, and for the first time since the year dot have beautiful rugs and floors. It is a simply amazing machine and the amount of pet hair that was removed from my rugs is frightening. I had just vaccuumed with my old vacuum eariler in the day. Why didn't I buy one sooner, my back doesn't hurt from all the pulling and pushing, and my sanity is restored I cleaned my house in the time it would have taken me to do one room and rug. Our cats can roll on the rugs to their hearts content and my little baby will be delighted with the clean floors
Thank you Dyson!!
on 2 August 2004
We live in a house with two small kids and two adults, two dogs (one who casts like a goon) and a cat (who leaves piles of hair everywhere she sleeps). We have been through a few vaccums over the years usually buying ones that gave most bang for bucks in motor power, and although this dyson model is not as 'powerful' as our last hoover, it does seem to use the power more efficiently and by far surpasses the cleaning power of any other model we have used. It really is a very different hoover from any other we have tried in that the amount of material removed from our rugs has been unbelievable, we hoovered with our old vaccum (Hoover bagless model) and then with the dyson animal and you would think that the carpets had never been done at all! The dyson removed a huge amount of hair and stuff.
The vaccum comes with two years home parts and labour guarantee (its £59 for an extra year) and unlike other reviewers I have found the cable retraction mechanism to be perfect and the vaccum actually very quiet to use (the other reviewers should try our old hoover if they think this one is noisy!).
This has been a great purchase proven by the fact that we all now fight for the right to hoover bits of the house. The dogs are not very impressed with it . . . they liked having stinky beds ;-)
on 22 June 2004
I've always resisted buying a Dyson, because I was horrified by the thought of spending that amount of money on something that just sucks dust up....I mean, think of all the nice things you can buy for £220! Ok, so I still resent spending this amount of money on something that is for housework, but I have to say it's worth it. I agree with a previous reviewer about the cord retraction mechanism being a bit pathetic, but the actual cleaning power is great. I vacuumed two upstairs rooms of my house with the DC08 three days after having a really good spring clean and vacuuming with my old machine - we'd barely been in the house in those three days and hadn't worn shoes upstairs. The Dyson picked up 2 containers worth of dirt. The carpets have never looked so clean. I'd recommend it whole-heartedly.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 October 2004
This vacuum cleaner had problems right from the start. The Turbobrush kept coming loose (the plastic 'stretched'), thereby losing power contact and, sometimes, coming off (which *hurts* if it drops on your foot!). Dyson sent someone round to mend it, and the fault came back with the very next use. After this had happened several times (about five, I think), I lost patience and asked Dyson to replace the cleaner. They refused, saying that the fault was "mendable". I of course asked why, if it was mendable, they hadn't managed to mend it - but they just did the broken record on me, repeating ad nauseam that the fault was mendable. The cleaner was never usable - it was either waiting for an engineer or it cleaned for a short while and then the Turbobrush came off again. Finally the shop from where I bought the Dyson was good enough to offer me a replacement (non-Dyson). Dyson were unpleasant and unhelpful to them as well - I will never buy from them again. (I now have a 'HyperVac', which is absolutely fantastic (and cost less!).)
on 28 May 2004
Fantastic product, very well specced and with loads of useful attachments. Seems to draw out more rubbish from the carpet than other cleaners (although this could be down to the clear bowl dust holder, nice touch Mr Dyson). The best vacuum we've ever had (only had 3 mind)that nearly pulls the carpet up!!
The only weak point is the cable retraction mechanism is a bit weak, otherwise A+!!
on 15 September 2004
I am unable to recommend Dyson Cylinders. My mother has one and you can only vacuum for 15 minutes at a time before it overheats and cuts out. It has been back to Dyson who were unable to rectify the problem. She wishes she had never bought one.
Also, we bought Dyson uprights for the cleaners at work and who eventually gave up on them and returned to the little Henry cleaners which are much more reliable.
on 20 February 2015
I've always wanted a Dyson but could never really afford one. This company offers an affordable way to own a Dyson which is fantastic. I am more than happy with it, looks like new and smells nice when I use it. We have an Old English Sheepdog and it gets all her hairs up no problem! And it doesn't block up and lose suction like my vax did everytime I used it.

See one answered question