on 4 July 2008
If you can afford one of these wonderfully stylish workhorses, then buy one - you can't go wrong with it. If you can't, then don't buy a Kenwood, but save up for this one - you won't regret it. It's far quieter than a Kenwood, incidentally which, if you use it quite a bit, is actually moree of an issue than you might think. I never really saw the point of having a food mixer until I regularly needed to mix large quantities of royal icing, and thought that that would be all I'd use it for. Now it gets used most days - cakes, meringues, pastry (divine!), fishcakes, beefburger mix, bread etc etc - there is no end to its talents. It's also a doddle to clean, by the way. It is heavy, however, so make sure you ca keep it in the place you'll be wanting to use it. It's not a machine you can pop into a cupboard everytime you stop mixing. And do remember the tip about not sending for the recipe book, as they send you one, in a language of your choice, when you return the guarantee form.
22 Comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 July 2010
fab mixer. bought it 'cause the wife always wanted one - she likes the style and does lots of baking, and wanted a quality mixer. fits the bill and has not disappointed at all. very quick, easy to use, easy to clean. doesn't particularly work well for small quantities, otherwise have had no problems/issues at all. makes a noticeable improvement on the texture/lightness of cakes. if you do a lot of baking, it really is a must have.
have now had for over 2 years. no problems whatsoever with performance/breaking/quality during this time. I note a lot of other people have had parts break. maybe we're lucky, but still looks and works as new. fab.
on 26 January 2012
This is a strong workhorse, and great for those recipes that mean longer mixing times (I've only used it as a mixer to date). You can leave it doing it's thing whilst prepping the next bit, and the results are very good - nice and fluffy sponges and well mixed/kneaded bread etc
It's a really lovely, heavy, robust piece of engineering that is perfect if you do a lot of baking. The build quality makes you feel like you have value for money.

I've got couple of gripes with it though:
1) Adding ingredients as the machine is working is awkward whether through the splash cover, or direct to the bowl. It is also awkward when the head is lifted as the blade is never in the right position to allow easy access.
2) The splash cover has far too many gaps, and moves around, so provides little protection (icing sugar beware!)
3) The bowl needs scraping down regularly, which is awkward to do if you just lift up the mechanism head, so you'll end up removing the bowl, and then you get drips down on the base, and it all starts to get messy
4) Cleaning the spindle where the whisk/mixer blade attaches is fiddly
5) It's a little bit noisy (don't think you can get away with a knocking up a quick batch of something without waking someone sleeping in the room above)
6) You'll probably still want to keep your hand mixer to do the smaller jobs as this is really better with larger volumes

I haven't used any other stand mixer, so cannot comment on how this compares. The KitchenAid is lovely, and I am glad I own one, however if you have any concerns about the areas I highlighted above, given the cost of this appliance, I would seriously suggest that you go to one of the larger department stores, or decent kitchen suppliers and having a thorough fiddle/play, and ask for demos if possible.
on 14 March 2007
I had a happy year with my Kitchenaid mixer but then did not ensure the bowl was firm in the stand and the beater jammed against the bowl - disaster!!! After MUCH trying I found that the problem is a flimsy plastic gear cog deep inside the works. Kitchenaid UK & Europe have had so many of these go that there is a problem sourcing the part. They do honour the guarantee but with no indication of how long it will take to get the part. A great product spoilt by a miserable bit of plastic.
22 Comments| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2008
Like so many kitchen gadgets and icons the Kitchen Aid artisan was not about to sit on my counter top and collect dust like so many purchased have done. I use this as much as I can.

The accessory set is a must for mincing, grating & slicing. My girls love to use it too (10 & 13). I've never had so much help in the kitchen! I have to hold them back grating as it does it at breakneck speed and I look around and end up with 2 lbs of grated cheese.

I've made fantastic bread, meringues', birthday cakes and pretty much everything I've tried on it comes out perfectly. It comes with a great instruction book and make sure you follow the sponge cake quantities or you may end up with a curdled mixture - but that happens when you use any whisking device.

Be sure to register your guarantee as they send you a wonderful hardback Kitchen Aid cook book. The Birthday cake recipe is to die for!

I would recommend this product only to someone who does a lot of cooking/baking. If you don't use it at least every week then it's a frightful waste of money. But if you are the sort of person that just likes to have "chic" things on their countertops - you know who you are, yes you - the person who has bottles of fancy olive oil out on the side because they look good! Then if you have the money - go for it, because it really is beautiful.

It's one of my 5 favourite kitchen items of all time along with my Dualit toaster, Magimix kettle, Oxo measuring jug, Jamie Oliver charger plate (v. useful).... oh okay 6 items - my Nigella Salt pig , because it's so darn cute!
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 March 2015
This is my second Kitchen Aid Mixer. I received my first one years ago. And it has worked until the button on the side fell off and the motor finally gave out. I cannot do without a kitchen aid, I just cannot. I cannot conceive of a baking life without it.

This was a gift, and feels much more powerful than my Kitchen Aid. I can mix, knead, whisk, and whip with ease. Whether the ingredients are wet or dry, thick or thin, dense or fluffy, this KitchenAid Stand Mixer does the job. The Flex Edge beater is designed to scrape the bowl so I can reach every last bit of my mixture, this was new to me. When I need to access the bowl or switch accessories, the tilt-head design makes it easy to use. Cleanup is a breeze as well, thanks to a pouring shield that helps to guard against spills, and a dough hook, bowl lid, stainless steel bowl, and coated beaters that are dishwasher safe.

This mixer I received is a silver polish color. It has a place of honor on my kitchen island. I use it so frequently. It is easy to put the dough hook or the beater nor the whisk on the mixer. Everything works well. With my old mixer, I had a little shaking when it was turned on high. Not on this one. It stays stalk still without a tremor. I usually handwash the bowl, to avoid any nicks. I am very happy with this power mixer from Kitchen Aid. I wish every woman in the world who likes to bake could have one.

Includes tilt-head stand mixer, 4.5-qt stainless steel bowl with handle, stainless steel wire whip, coated dough hook, coated flat beater, Flex Edge beater, pouring shield, and bowl lid
300W motor
10-speed control
Electronic speed sense
59-point planetary mixing action allows for quicker mixing
Coated beaters, dough hook, bowl lid, and stainless steel bowl are dishwasher-safe
Measurements: Mixer 14"H x 13"L x 8-1/4"W; Cord 46"L; weighs 21 l, 1bs1 oz

Recommended. prisrob 03-29-15
on 3 February 2009
I received the brushed nickel version of this for my Christmas in 2007. I had wanted one for a long time! After a couple of weeks the pin holding the motor head to the base fell out while I was using it, damaging the bowl and beater. I was sent a replacement from Amazon. A few months later while using the mixer to knead dough I noticed the mixer head was unlocking and being pushed up by the dough. I phoned KitchenAid and they asked me to package it up and send it to them to be repaired. I got it back repaired a couple of weeks later. This same thing has happened again and it is due to be delivered back today. I have only used the machine about 7 or 8 times for kneading dough and have always been very careful to follow instructions on amounts et.c. I am amazed that something that looks and feels so sturdy (it weighs a ton) is so obviously not. I don't find that it performs particularly well in whipping egg whites or making cakes (there is always a layer next to the bowl that is unmixed and yes I have tried adjusting the beater to bowl clearance). I now if I want a good result get my handheld kenwood out (£15). I do however find the KitchenAid fine for whipping cream and mashing potato. I think these mixers look fantastic but really aren't very good.
If you do get one keep the packaging so can easily send it for repair!
33 Comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 11 September 2015
I bought this for my husband in cream. He loves to bake, but the kenwood was a big let down. So seeing this for sale on a shopping channel I went for it. The first thing you will notice is the weight. Its very heavy indeed. No flimsy tinny sounding mixer her. The quality of this workhorse is second to none. We got a recipe book in with our one. So used that to make a sponge, a fruit cake and some fairy cakes. Cant fault it at all. Best mixer there is on the market to date.
on 17 February 2004
As some say if it does what it says on the Tin, what more is there. Well quite a lot with this Mixer.
Having several other makes over the last 10yrs, this one actually does what it says.
It mix's then kneads bread, my other were not up to the Job.
No scraping down the bowl,
Whips Egg whites quicker.
And its robust, so no movement on bench tops.
If you can afford one, buy one, and if you do buy one get it from Amazon, I saved £50.00 towards by blender.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2007
I bought this for my wife as a present as she always wanted one and although expensive for a mixer it has not disappointed us. The machine has a design that is inspired by the 1950s golden age of America, when appliances were built to last and the motors on appliances were so robust they could be used for industrial mixing. On most of our modern food processing kit, you can sometimes hear the motor screaming for mercy and smell a bit of oil when the dough gets a bit viscous, but there has been no such experience with the Kitchen Aid.

The mixing action is best described as orbital (a rotation on a rotation) and the result, for us, is that all the sponges we have made have been terrifically light and generally perfect. We have a few of the accesories as well, these are easy to fit and because this is a fairly large and agricultural design, pretty easy to clean after use. In terms of grinding meat and vegetables, the heavy duty motor is a big help.

So in summary, this is a big, heavy, rugged mixer that does it job of mixing doughs, batters and cake mixtures extremely well. This is one of those products where American design and construction values really help the product.