Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 February 2015
The Grammy nominated 'Heaven On Earth' was Belinda Carlisle's second solo album, released in 1987, and the one which really put her on the international stage. It spawned her most famous song, the chart-topping stateside single 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth', and a string of other hits including the catchy 'Circle in the Sand' and emotional 'I Get Weak'. This guitar-driven release also contains some solid album-only songs including the infectious 'Fool for Love', and the inspiring 'We Can Change'.

I'll always have a soft spot for this landmark album, and Belinda Carlisle. She delivered some great, 'heavenly' mainstream pop music which was never all that cheesy, and certainly doesn't sound dated today, as well as processing a wonderful singing voice. Despite the success of 'Heaven On Earth' though, I wouldn't consider this album to her personal best because, for me, that title firmly belongs to 'Runaway Horses', it's follow-up which hit the shelves two years later in 1989. I regard that one as something of a pop-rock masterpiece, and one of my favourite albums by any female vocalist. Getting back to the album in question though, this is one record that really will transport you right back to 1987, though casual listeners and newbie fans would probably be better off with a greatest hits collection.
on 27 March 2014
One of the classic albums by Belinda Carlisle remastered. I find that one CD is plenty to listen to the tracks as the others are the same tracks, only done in a slightly different style. It seems a bit of a waste to have added them to the CD, but overall you get the music that you want.
VINE VOICEon 21 May 2010
One of several successful female artists that had a good chart run during the late 1980s.

Four powerful singles on this, and as always, my favourite made the least impact on the pop chart which was: 'World Without You' - it only just about the forty... The rest of the album is pretty good too. I think Belinda Carlisle was one of the few that got even better with her second album that was to follow.

on 12 July 2009
What the Amazon listing doesn't tell you and it ought to, is that the second disc is a DVD, and the man reason for buying this Special Edition of Belinda Carlisle's best selling solo album.

If you are a fan of Belinda you probably already have this CD in your collection and in all honesty there isn't a great deal of difference to the quality of sound on this re-mastered edition. However, the package is worth owning for the extras that make this a Special Edition.

There are five remixes of the hit singles taken from this album, by the likes of Shep Pettibone and William Orbit, originally available as 12 inch singles, or "b" sides. Plus the DVD, which was previously only available as a VHS tape. This is a live performance in Philadelphia from May 1988 from the Good Heavens! tour. The playing time is 60 minutes and includes Belinda performing all the hits from the album and several Go-Go's hits as well. Definitely worth buying this package for, as the quality is so much better than the VHS tape, if you still own it.

The whole high-quality package comes in a lovely gatefold sleeve.
This album represents Belinda Carlisle at the most popular, most confident stage of her career. Following the success of her solo album release, she tells us "I'm not afraid anymore," and declares that "nobody owns me." After all, "our love is all we need," and Belinda was basking in the love of both a rather newly-wed husband and a legion of new fans. This album is a declaration of self-worth and possesses some really anthem-like qualities, although the central theme is still love, of course. I love this album so much that I can still remember when and where I bought it when it was initially released.
If you accidentally program your CD player to select tracks randomly, that will not be a problem with this CD; every song is wonderful, and there is always a good chance you will hit one of Belinda's biggest hits. "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" topped the charts, while "I Get Weak" and "Circle in the Sand" were top ten smashes. As good as these three hits are, I personally don't think they are the best songs on the album; in fact, I consider the wonderful song "Circle in the Sand" one of the weaker tracks on the CD. My favorites are "Should I Let You In?" "World Without You," and "Nobody Owns Me." Most of these songs are fast and beat-driven, which is somewhat unusual for a Belinda CD. "Nobody Owns Me" is definitely a song to get you pumped up and ready to tackle the world again. Still, though--and this is an eternal theme with Belinda Carlisle--love is what is really important. Personal strength requires love, she seems to say: "I Get Weak" celebrates rather than condemns such weakness; "Should I Let You In?" addresses the importance of making your own choices and avoiding bad relationships; "Fool For Love" declares that love is worth making a fool out of yourself for. Heaven on Earth is a little unusual in that it features only one slow, romantic song from Belinda; but after an album full of upbeat, energetic tracks, the soft and sweet "Love Never Dies" is a perfect culmination to this artist's most successful album.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 April 2011
Along with another reviewer, I had this on vinyl, now on CD, but also tape!

From the alluring 'older woman' cover photo (when you're in your very early 20's) and then this sensual but also beltering voice that seduces you with its great diction and range.

I had gotten the 'Best Of' as my first CD but missed the impeccable track order that I so fondly had got used to of the original LP. From the pacey Heaven Is a Place on Earth it's an automatic gearshift in pace and tone (yes, a fantastic driving album, too - sunroof open!) to Circle in the Sand and then, WALLOP, Cream's I Feel Free. I felt a musical sinner by feeling so disappointed when I later bought and listened to Cream's original. Belinda's is wide, airy and cosmic in comparison (and with galloping hooves to fade out).

The sharp intro of flamenco sounding 'Should I Lie to You?'
will really have you pressing the pedal to metal and singing along to the chorus - a grin splitting your face open. 'I Get Weak' is another of those rock ballads that begs to be a karaoke standard. One of my favourites, Nobody Owns Me is one slice of heavy mother rock that Meat Loaf might do justice to, but in Belinda's hands is even more believable as you really feel that this is her own song. The duelling guitar solo (?)! that screams out just echoes that sense of elation.

I had read about Belinda's (apparently) misjudged/hard- lived times with The Go-Go's and had also bought the LP after this, Runaway Horses, but that already was half of what this album is. So, I've been content to stick with this as it really was/is (for me) pretty much the perfect album.
I can`t help it! I had this album when it was released, and I was but a pimply teen. Can`t quite place what made me buy it again, twenty plus years later, but I`m glad I have; although it is, to say the least, a massive departure from my usual listening habits - Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Van Halen. Each song I can remember almost word for word, and I still enjoy Belinda Carlisle`s occasionally warbly voice. Of course, you can`t discount the fact I had a bit of a crush on her back in the day...

There are only two songs that I am not that fussed about and luckily they`re out of the way fairly early on; the title track is of course a slice of pop perfection so no complaints there. No, it`s "Circle in the Sand" and "I Feel Free" that I will skip by most times. But on the upside, my sentimental side adores "World Without You" and "I Get Weak" and I like them so much that I almost awarded five stars; the two songs I don`t care for coupled with the album closer "Love Never Dies" put a stop to that. The other songs are all good, strong memorable pop songs that I like very much. Darn it, I don`t need to defend myself! It`s a great power pop record.
on 1 February 2003
With her song „Heaven Is A Place On Earth", Belinda Carlisle definitely has deserved a place in Heaven, be that on Earth or anywhere else. Other great songs are „Circle In The Sand", „I Feel Free", „Fool For Love" and „Love Never Dies". Belinda Carlisle has Punk Rock roots and New Age wings, a beautiful combination! And her singing comes straight from the heart, just as it should be.