on 27 November 2017
All right, just the CD was dirty, it could be better
on 11 September 2017
Probably the best compilation of Mike oldfields work.the live cuts are a must!
on 19 September 2008
This was originally released in 1985. I bought it then, shortly after 'Discovery' the year before, and I loved it. It is the best Oldfield compilation up to that time and one of the best of all time. The enjoyment factor is still there over twenty years later.

The first section consists of short, charming instrumentals before the second section of vocal tracks. We are treated to his best songs which have a pop/rock/folky feel to them: the smash hit Moonlight Shadow with its blistering guitar solo, 'To France' with more great guitar work, the delightfully strange 'Five Miles Out', and so on. It's a shame that the five minute version of 'Shadow on the Wall' slightly outstays its welcome.

Part three consists of excerpts from his early complex pieces. I think that, overall, the high points are there, even though I think that the best of 'Hergest Ridge' is probably the first nine minutes. Anyway, we get eight minutes of 'Tubular Bells' (the end of the first half of the original), seven minutes of 'Ommadawn' including some haunting chant before some trademark guitar work from Oldfield, four minutes from 'Hergest Ridge' and another four minutes from 'Incantations'.

The final section consists of four live tracks. They are all brilliant, especially the fourteen minute rendition of all four parts of Platinum.

It's a toss-up between this one and the 2006 three CD set.
on 26 April 2017
Fantastic collection of great songs from a remarkable talent!!
on 9 January 2013
The amazing musical work of Mike Oldfield (which deserves five stars) up until about 1985 is well represented in this collection, and therefore well worth to own. However, the sound quality on these CDs is really poor. If you want a better and more recent compilation of Mike Oldfield's work, I recommend the three CD set "The Platinum Collection". Not only is it a more complete compilation but its sound quality is also superior (audiophile quality).

EDIT May 4th 2015: The "poor sound quality" could actually be a case of little or no dynamic range compression (so popular these days) as commented. I will listen to it carefully again and possibly edit my review.

EDIT May 7th 2015: I can now say that I misunderstood this CD set. There's nothing wrong with the sound quality (just crank the volume up a bit as a comment pointed out). So, I've changed my rating from three to five stars (would change it to 10 stars if I could ;)). Furthermore, some of the songs are differently mixed (or is perhaps even a different recording!?) compared to the other CDs I have including some of these songs, which makes it very interesting. For example, the song "Five Miles Out" is more exciting and enjoyable on this CD set than on my other MO CDs including it. However, I still recommend the three CD set "The Platinum Collection" if you only want to get one of these collections.
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 June 2017
The first time I heard Mike Olfield was with this record on a friend's birthday ...... since then not a day goes by without hearing something from Mike Oldfield. His music has accompanied me and will accompany me the rest of my life.
on 9 February 2004
The Complete Mike Oldfield covers the period 1973(Tubular Bells) to 1984 (The Killing Fields. A good introduction to Mike's music
From his early years. The 4 live tracks at the end bring back happy memories of 1979,1980 Concerts.
on 21 December 1999
I really enjoyed this CD which has a selection of some of the best works of this talented artist. Anyone who can spend more than two years in the album chart with his debut can't be all that bad. This CD covers a wide range of Mike Oldfields work from early to more recent styles, including singles and excerpts from the album long musical pieces
on 26 June 2017
disc has arrived in fantastic condition plays very well I am very satisfied I will look at musicmagpie.co.uk again when I need to replace a very good disc that unfortunately died or new music
on 18 April 2015
Fast service, item as described