Customer reviews

Time Honoured Ghosts
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 October 2010
BJH....an underrated band in their own country, so much more popular in Europe.
My brother introduced me to their music in the early 70's, and we both had pretty much every one of their early albums.
I recall listening to them on the headphones through my record player, in glorious stereo!
This is my second favourite album, Everyone is Everybody Else being my favourite.
This though stands alongside that album very well......superb songs, with John Lees' expected high standard of guitar playing, and Wolstenholme's keyboards (and mellotron) on top notch form.
I recommend this to any BJH fan out there!
on 5 June 2013
I bought this album when it came out in 1976 and this album is one of the many that I just had to replace with a CD version. When I first played the album after it was released in 1976 I was in awe and Time Honoured Ghosts still has the same effect now as it did then. With Barclay James Harvest an excellent standard of musicianship can be guaranteed. The song writing like all the other Barclay James Harvest albums that I have never ceases to amaze me. I love especially John's Lee's electric guitar solos. For any Barclay James Harvest fan to have this album in your collection is a must and I would thoroughly recomend it to anyone.
on 6 September 2010
Barclay James Harvest had many fans but were unable to break into the circle of the major bands of the 1970s. This is perhaps because they fell between two types of music namely progressive rock and the more pop orientated music. True to form this album has flavours of both (Titles and Beyond the Grave are good examples). The music is not exactly challenging and hence not always favoured by those who who were progressive rock afficianardos but on the other hand was not the type of music to be the staple fare of the singles charts. The songs are melodic and some of the lyrcis carry meaning which make them worth a close listen. Some of the songs (Beyond the Grave / Song for You)sound a little dated but the remastering has given them a fresh impetus. I dont expect many who are reading this review are new to BJH but if you are it is a good album to start with. It certainly puts some of the more recent bands of a similar ilk (Coldplay springs to mind) to shame. For those who are familiar to BJH and may not have listened to this album for some time give it a go it is well worth it. I purchased direct from Amazon and the CD arrived unsealed with the case scratched giving the impression that it was not new so the delight in hearing this album again was somewhat tainted.
on 10 February 2018
If you like BJH this is a great album to listen to.
on 28 April 2004
This edition from last year (June 2003) has an added bonus, a tenth track, originally on 'Everyone Is Everybody Else' (June 1974)

Tracks:

9. One Night
on 19 April 2016
Dated sound now but GREAT COVER to the LP
on 11 December 2013
Bought this album to replace an old vinyl copy purchased in the 70's. Brilliant album, my favourite from BJH. Very Beatlesque, soft rock undertones, and great lyrics.
on 21 January 2013
If you are a BJH fan, you will love this CD. I got the original vinal copy when it first came out, and now on CD - brilliant
on 5 August 2015